In December I asked if I should prefer RHEL 6.2 to
5.7.  The answer was clearly yes; 5.7 is outdated.  On
equipment purchased recently from Pogo Linux, I've
installed 6.2, using the "server" install image from
the U.W.'s mirror, but selecting "workstation" from
it.  (There's a separate, much larger "workstation"
install image on the mirror, which I didn't use.  The
explanation of difference between the install images
is badly outdated on the UW's site and perhaps I made
a bad choice.)

At this point I'm wondering if the version of 6.2 I
ended up with is barely beta-test, or if I might
have a hardware issue, or what.  I'm an end-user and
I don't have a lot of training in sysadmin.

One symptom is that I've several times had sshd on
the new machine refuse to honor passwordless login,
after it did honor it.  Without my changing
anything, it starts behaving as if the permissions
of /home/user, /home/user/.ssh, or authorized_keys
were wrong.  At least once, it then started honoring
passwordless logins again after an hour or two.

Without knowing much detail about ssh's inner
workings, I would have thought that this was some
curiosity with server key regeneration.  But since
mid-afternoon today, I've additionally received the
following as the first line sent to stderr when
attempting an ssh login:

Could not chdir to home directory /home/billyk:
Permission denied

The permission of /home/billyk is 700 and the
ownership is billyk:billyk.  Whatever just gave that
"chdir" error is perhaps that's why it's also not
doing a passwordless login.  However, I wonder if it's
specifically an ssh problem at all.  From the terminal
of the new machine, some ordinary tasks such as
starting gnome-terminal (inconsistently) fail because
it doesn't immediately see the home directory.  I
needed to change the properties of the gnome terminal
launch to --working-directory=~, which does work.

This is obscure enough not to turn up any obvious
clues by googling.  How easily can I tell if it's a
hardware issue -- or, is it pretty much clear that it
couldn't be hardware?

Billy