Here's something.

Following up a suspicion, I entered from root
(which, by the way, I've had no difficulty ssh'ing
into):

setenforce 0

Everything instantly starting working on /home.  I
can now do a passwordless login, run X apps
remotely (which previously were giving xauth locking
errors), and, at least on a minute's examination, it
appears fixed.

I'm an selinux ignoramus and on earlier rhel
versions I just relied on tcp wrappers and shut off
selinux completely.  I want to use it now.  The only
tweaks which I think I've made were to follow the
instructions in smb.conf to use chcon and setsebool,
and to enable samba and tftp in the System
Preferences Firewall dropdown.

What config file for selinux can I look at, looking
for what sort of problem?