On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 09:11:13AM -0800, William Kreuter wrote:
> Here's something.
>
> Following up a suspicion, I entered from root
> (which, by the way, I've had no difficulty ssh'ing
> into):
>
> setenforce 0
>
> Everything instantly starting working on /home.  I
> can now do a passwordless login, run X apps
> remotely (which previously were giving xauth locking
> errors), and, at least on a minute's examination, it
> appears fixed.
>
> I'm an selinux ignoramus and on earlier rhel
> versions I just relied on tcp wrappers and shut off
> selinux completely.  I want to use it now.  The only
> tweaks which I think I've made were to follow the
> instructions in smb.conf to use chcon and setsebool,
> and to enable samba and tftp in the System
> Preferences Firewall dropdown.
>
> What config file for selinux can I look at, looking
> for what sort of problem?

Check the logs in /var/log/ if selinux is the problem you will get a big
pile of verbose error messages.

If selinux on your home dir really is the root of the problem I have to
ask, how did you created your home dir? Is it left over from a previous
install? If that's the case it will need to be relabeled with the
correct selinux settings.

And typically it is helpful to have logs available when trying to debug
things. fpaste.org is useful for that.

--
http://www.brianlane.com