Linux-Misc Digest #28, Volume #20                 Sun, 2 May 99 20:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: CD ROM (William Cattell)
  Re: want fvwm back, now it is kde when I type startx (Bruce Schultz)
  Re: Strip libc (Frank Boehme)
  Re: [Q] Which distros are likely to meet my needs? (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Computer virus threat to Linux? (John Thompson)
  Re: GNU reeks of Communism (Tesla Coil)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really)
  Re: Alpah 164sx boot problems (Aravind Mikkilineni)
  Re: SUID games? What is RedHat doing? (Lee Maguire)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really) (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: I broke KDE: Desktop blank, programs won't run (Alan Fang)
  Re: XANIM and .avi files (jason)
  Re: Where to get cheap domain hosting? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: setting user memory limits with PAM (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really)^ (Bill Bonde)
  Memory being limited to 16M (Matthew R Ashe)
  Re: GNU reeks of Communism (returning to %252522GNU Communism%252522) ("Martin
Ozolins")
  Re: R U The Finest & Brightest Linux Guru?? read on.... (Todd Knauer)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really)^ (Chris Costello)

From: William Cattell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD ROM
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 15:47:54 GMT

You might have to load/compile the iso9660 fs in.  CDROMs use the
ISO9660 filesystem and that normally has to be compiled into a Linux
kernel.  With later kernels (2.0 >) you can use insmod to load the
iso9660 fs as a module.

Bill

Lian PL wrote:

> My Acer Aspire cannot read the CD Rom in /dev/hdc which is link as
> follows: /dev/cdrom -->/dev/hdc. I have checked the fstab and tried to
> mount /dev/cdrom but the error messgae is something like insmod? I cannot
> figure how to solve the problem. can someone help by emailing to me at:

http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.
remove '1.nospam' to reply

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Schultz)
Subject: Re: want fvwm back, now it is kde when I type startx
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:59:21 -04-59

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 02:20:22 GMT, Drew Northup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have no idea about your specific setup, but I have edited the startx
>script before to change which gui it brings up.  I would guess that the line
>"exec fvwm2" got commented out when you added KDE.  Try uncommenting it.
>Drew Northup, N1XIM
>Joern Smock wrote:
>>> I have installed KDE. Now when I type startx, KDE is launched. I don't
>>> want that. I want to use fvwm. Typing startx fvwm doesn't help. How do I
>>> get fvwm back?
>>> Please reply to my email address.

Try deleting your .Xclients in your home directory.

--
Bruce Schultz

From: Frank Boehme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strip libc
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 17:07:54 +0100

Tony Smolar wrote:

> I noticed that on RH5.2, glibc is about 3 megs and not stripped, and it can
> be stripped back to 650K.  Is there a good reason not to do this?

There is probably good reason not to do this, unless you use the -g
option :-))

cheers,

Frank

--
Dr Frank Boehme                      | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
National University of Ireland, Cork | phone: +353-21-903163

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: [Q] Which distros are likely to meet my needs?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:38:52 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Jerome Mrozak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>*  I'd like a file layout that is "vanilla", because I'll rely on
>HOWTOs to learn my way around.

Many of the older HOWTO documents are based on Slackware, but the new
ones might be based on other distributions (I suspect Red Hat is high
on the list of distros represented).

There really isn't a distro "vanilla" Linux layout, at least as far as
I know.  The main elements of the filesystem will always be there, but
some things can vary quite a bit.

>*  I'll wait for a 2.2+ kernel version of the desired distros.  I
>understand improved ZIP disk support is provided in that release
>(compared to 2.0 release).

Be aware that the 2.2.x series is still relatively "young".

>*  I need to get a system going more-or-less out of the box, and learn
>administration by tweaking.  I don't have time/interest/patience for
>learning admin. by building a system from scratch, having it
>half-working most of the time, because I still don't have a good idea
>what constitutes "working" for the broken parts.  For example, I've
>struggled with RH 5.1 release in trying to configure X files (not
>_those_ X-files!) to correspond to my laptop display, getting mostly X
>that won't start.  For example, SuSE's SaX looks promising for that
>sort of configuring.

There are worse things than X in terms of configuration difficulty, so
if X was a challenge for you, don't expect everything else to be easy.

You might want to consider Caldera's new release.  While it's still a
bit new (and therefore untested in the wild), it sounds like it might
be quite easy to install.  SuSE is also good, though I have no idea
what its X config utility is like (I just used xf86config).

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Computer virus threat to Linux?
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 07:20:53 -0600

Matthew B. Kennedy wrote:

> Are there any threats to Linux systems from computer virii?

AFAIK, the biggest threat is for people who use both linux
and DOS/Windows on the same machine.  A DOS/Windows virus,
executing while you're using DOS/Windows can alter the boot
sector and/or partition table such that you won't be able to
boot linux until you fix the problem.  Most DOS/Windows
virus repair programs will restore a standard DOS boot
sector to fix a boot sector virus, which will disable lilo
if you had it installed in the master boot record.  It's a
good idea to have a bootable linux floppy disk available to
recover from such things.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Tesla Coil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: GNU reeks of Communism
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 17:28:06 -0500

On 2 May 1999 Matthias Warkus wrote of ESR:

> I think it's dangerous to have this guy in a leading position
> as a representant of the free software movement. Imagine what
> the media could make of that -- anarcho-capitalist gun nuts
> steering the bandwagon! Good heavens...

Matthias!  You know US politics better than that!
Ronald Reagan got elected twice on that platform.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
talk.politics.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.activism,alt.society.liberalism
Subject: Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really)
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 16:07:13 -0700

On Sun, 02 May 1999 22:41:33 GMT, Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> >   The GPL is a crock.  It forces openness.  That's not freedom.
>> >You like walking outside sometimes, I would bet.  Would you like
>> >being *FORCED* to walk outside all the time?  That's the key
>> >problem with the GPL and many recognize it.
>>
>>      It's equally extreme as what it was meant to replace.
>
>   Nonetheless, there are better licenses out there than the GPL,
>such as the BSD-style license shipped with FreeBSD.  I also have
>nothing against the real BSD license.

        Whether or not it is 'better' is quite debateable. It
        certainly makes it far easier for a corporation to
        mooch off of shared intellectual capital.

--

    Microsoft subjected the world to DOS until 1995.             |||
         A little spite is more than justified.                 / | \

                        In search of sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aravind Mikkilineni)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: Alpah 164sx boot problems
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 22:59:33 GMT

I have an AlphaPC 164 which I installed linux on. If you are using IDE
devices, you want to to the initial boot up for installation using
three floppies, one with milo, another with a kernel image, and a
third with a ramdisk image to serve as the root file system. I never
could get it to boot from the CD or harddrive for instalilation.

------------------------------

From: Lee Maguire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.security.unix
Subject: Re: SUID games? What is RedHat doing?
Date: 3 May 1999 00:04:21 +0100

Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In <7ggg42$fvb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>Do these game run through the console?  If they do, then they need to
>>run as root.  If they are for X, they don't need to run as root.
>>hope that helps.
>Not really. Having uncontrolled programs on your system which are suid
>root is insane.
"STOP THE MADNESS!"
>It is precisely such programs which a user on the system
>can use to gain root access, and hving them there as games, instead of
>crucial system programs, is just silly and dangerous.

So don't install them.  These are programs that run under VGA rather
than X so they're intended for single-user PCs not multi-user servers.
I don't know anything about RedHat's installation procedure, but I
wouldn't expect them to be autoselected for a "multi-user" type install.
Feel free to correct me.  If the installation procedure fails to warn
that games are being installed with SUID root then that would be a
bug with the installation.

>If you need access to something which for some reason requires root
>(apparently the SVGAlib is such) then you provide a single access program
>which you can then really make sure is safe running suid root. You do
>not have each and every program which wants to use the resource doing
>so.
This is provided by something like the kernel interface to GGI, or
the new console code in recent kernels.  This is non-trivial stuff,
so don't hold your breath for SVGAlib to be cast aside just yet.

I'd point out that SVGAlib, for quite some time, can be configured
to drop SUID/SGID bits upon opening the screen and I would assume this
is the default mode for RedHat.

>With games this is especially dangerous, because security is
>probably the farthest thing from the minds of the game writer.
It certainly shouldn't be the top priority - I mean, they're GAMES!
If your mission-critical server is being used for Doom then I'd suggest
that the biggest security hole is in the wetware, not the software.

There are single-user Linux systems out there where a fast framerate in
Quake *is* more important than internal security - my home PC for one.

--
Lee Maguire <{$news-reply$}@wetware.demon.co.uk>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 23:23:24 GMT

On Sun, 2 May 1999 21:55:53 GMT, Loren Petrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Christopher B. Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>To a "true-believer Capitalist" of the Mark S. Bilk variety, it must
>>be quite acceptable to sell one's own children into slavery.
>
>       Certainly true -- if there is money to be made, then why not?
>
>[Mark Bilk:]
>>>This is basically because in Capitalism, it is OK to harm
>>>other people in order to benefit oneself (this is a good
>>>definition of "evil") as long as one can induce the victim
>>>to "voluntarily" bite the hook.
>
>>No, this is not an example of the Principles of Absolute Capitalism;
>>this is an example of the Principles of Insanely Blind Greed.
>
>       So crooked capitalists are not Real Capitalists?

What is the source of the *problem?*

What is the appropriate emphasis to put on it?

a) That they are *crooked* capitalists, thus emphasizing their
crookedness, and suggesting that this is the root of the problem?  or

b) That they are crooked *capitalists*, with the opposite implication,
which is that they are crooked *because* they are capitalists?

Replace "crooked" with "blindly greedy" as needed...
-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to free software today?..."

------------------------------

From: Alan Fang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: I broke KDE: Desktop blank, programs won't run
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 16:04:53 -0700

I don't recall "changing" anything, except maybe accidentally deleting a
line.  Earlier in the /etc/profile file, I have

PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"

ACF

to reply, change the jc in the email address to js.  If possible, please
post a reply, as this account will be shutting down soon.

From: jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XANIM and .avi files
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 19:16:37 -0400

Stephen Speicher wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a compiled version of xanim that will
> support this IV50? Alternatively, is there another compiled
> Linux program available for viewing .avi that I can try?

You should install xanim 2.80.1 and all corresponding dll's, in particular
the "Intel Indeo 5.0 Decompression for AVI and Quicktime" dll.  Due to non-
disclosure agreements, the codecs for this and other formats were easier
implemented as dynamically loaded dll's.

For xanim:
http://xanim.va.pubnix.com/xa_obtain.html

For the dll's:
http://xanim.va.pubnix.com/xa_dlls.html

Good luck,
-jason

(to reply via email, make the appropriate substitution in my email address)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Where to get cheap domain hosting?
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 19:17:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Tim Underwood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone know of a place to get cheap domain and email hosting?  I don't want
> any places with forced porn advertisements on the web pages.  Also,
> preferrably no annoying "pop-ups" either.
>
> And while we're at it, something that will make my teeth brighter, children
> smarter, and remove those unsightly rings around the tub....

we provide quality cheap hosting for 8.99 a month, no traffic limits and 100
megs........

www.telaweb.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: setting user memory limits with PAM
Date: 2 May 1999 22:28:28 GMT

C'mon , guys ! where's this much-touted linux newsgroup support ?

Anyways, I've already worked it out. For the benefit of someone who might
read this, it looks like the PAM authentication is broken in xdm (?)

Anyway, it seems to work fine with the KDM version I have. I guess
recompiling xdm with all the right options and possibly a small patch
would also work.

cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Buying computer parts ? How do you know which vendors to trust ?
http://www.resellerratings.com
Impartial and accurate. Straight from the buyers mouth.
( disclaimer: i'm not affiliated with resellerratings.com )

------------------------------

From: Bill Bonde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 16:27:45 -0700

> On Sun, 02 May 1999 15:02:32 -0700, Bill Bonde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Loren Petrich wrote:

> >>         The way that anti-slavery laws make one not free to own slaves?
> >>
> >Is it wrong to keep software proprietary?
>
>         Considering what the legal justifications are for allowing the
>         goverment (US at least) to exercise power in this regard, yes.

I'm not following. You are saying that Microsoft should be forced to
release its proprietary code for all to see?

------------------------------

From: Matthew R Ashe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Memory being limited to 16M
Date: 1 May 1999 17:32:28 GMT

I have RedHat 5.2 with the 2.2.7 kernel.  I noticed X was taking an
extremly long time to bring up Netscape, as well as a few other programs.
When I checked the system info, X reported there was 13M being used and 3M
free.  I actually have 128M memory.  The system definitely seems to be
swapping out.  If I append mem=128M to lilo.conf or enter it at bootup, I
get various messages telling me somthing is wrong and the system freezes.
Take the line out, all is well.  I am not a long time Linux user, I've
mainly used NT 3 and NT4, play a few games on 98.  I would love to say
goodbye to MS on a more or less permanent basis, but so far I can't master
Linux enough to get the things I need done day to day.  I am getting a LOT
closer though, and my programming (3 years college, no real world
experience) is getting better.  I am miffed how to get this seemingly
simple problem fixed(it is simple, right???.  Any help would greatly be
appreciated.
                                           Thanks
                                            Matthew R Ashe
PS  I did compile the kernel to NOT limit the box to the 1st 16M ram.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Martin Ozolins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: GNU reeks of Communism (returning to %252522GNU Communism%252522)
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 16:29:51 -0700

Prins Olivier wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Martin Ozolins wrote:
>
>> brian moore wrote in message ...
>>
>> >There isn't a zero-cost word processor for Windows (unless you count
>> >"NotePad") -- but Linux has many, including WP8 if your not in a
>> >commercial setting, or LyX and AbiWord if you're at work.  Add in
>> >StarOffice and Applixware that are included with some distributions and
>> >you've got a healthy choice of software that comes with the OS.
>> >
>> Not exactly, Write was included since Win 3.1 and Word pad is included
since
>> Win95's outset.  Both will make letters and memo's etc fairly effiecently
>> and save them in RTF.  WordPad will open Word Doc's too.
>>

>Just a small comment here..i dont think you've ever tried to open a Word
.doc
>document with Wordpad, because you wouldn't have said it works if you had
>tried....If you would have tried it you would have seen that it shows you a
nice
>big lot of garbage..

have tried it. do it often, don't get garbage.

------------------------------

From: Todd Knauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: R U The Finest & Brightest Linux Guru?? read on....
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 18:32:45 -0500

Couple of notes.. Whether the script is in your path or not is really irrelevent
to test
if it works, in fact whether it is executable is irrelavent.  However if you do
not use full paths for each command within your script you must ensure that those

commands are in your path, most people will put an exclusive PATH statement near
the beginning of the script right after the shell specification (#!/bin/sh).

Why does your script not need to be executable or be in your path to test it? It
is
actually better if it is not in your path for testing because if there is another
command
with the same name in a different directory ahead of yours in the search path you

might find yourself debugging your script for hours with no noticable change in
operation.

To execute your script without the script being executable and without it being
in
your path you can use any of the following:

# sh ./yourshellscript (if your script is in the primary working and "." is not
in your path).
# ksh ./yourkornshellscript
# bash ./yourbornagainshellscript
or
# sh /full/path/to/yourshellscript  (if it is not in your primary working
diretory).

It is sometimes better to create working scripts this way, and then add the
execute bit "chmod +x yourscript" and move it into a nice utility directory
which you have added to your path.

Hope this helps,
Todd

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Costello)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 23:58:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>       Considering what the legal justifications are for allowing the
>       goverment (US at least) to exercise power in this regard, yes.

   Care to expand?

   Are you calling BSDI, Solaris, SunOS, SCO, etc. potentially
illegal?

> --
>
>     Microsoft subjected the world to DOS until 1995.             |||
>          A little spite is more than justified.                 / | \
>

>                       In search of sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

--
Chris Costello
Close your eyes and press escape three times.