Linux-Misc Digest #28, Volume #26                Sat, 14 Oct 00 14:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: MTA to replace sendmail... is it worth it? (S.Brautaset)
  Re: RH6.2: Mouse suddenly gone, cannot start KDE- What to do? (Bo Berglund)
  Re: Is there any simple way to find required stuff needed to install (Jerry L Kreps)
  Re: Can't Find X11R6 include files. (Brian & Colleen)
  Re: HELP: RPM database updating on a package? (Anita Lewis)
  Re: Accessing certain sites fails SOLVED. (root)
  Re: MTA replscement for sendmail (Matthew Haley)
  Re: Anybody get Netscape 6 Preview 3 to install? (root)
  Help compiling workman (Brian S)
  Re: Slackware vs RedHat - Security (Peter Eddy)
  Re: OpenBSD- Opinion (Peter Eddy)
  Re: MTA replscement for sendmail (Alexander Gretencord)
  Re: ftp login problem ("Roy")
  Re: Slackware vs RedHat - Security (Christopher Browne)
  Re: can't get via82cxxx to sing ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RH 6.2 Email??? (ALDEL)
  Re: Windows reading Linux (Thomas Zajic)
  Re: quake for linux? (Thomas Zajic)
  Re: Netscape uses cache more than its quota? (Joshua Baker-LePain)

Subject: Re: MTA to replace sendmail... is it worth it?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.Brautaset)
Date: 15 Oct 2000 00:09:04 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith) writes:
> little reason to bother with changing. If you really find sendmail to be
> slow, please elaborate -- how much incoming and outgoing mail does your

I was a bit to quick to send this message, and/or a bit slow to cancel it. I
have been more specific about my request in a later message. But a fast
explanation; no it is not for large amounts of mail. It is for single user
only, I do not notice that sendmail is particularly slow (other than at boot,
but I think I know what does this).

Cheers, Stig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
Subject: Re: RH6.2: Mouse suddenly gone, cannot start KDE- What to do?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 15:34:12 GMT

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 13:36:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
wrote:

>startx but there is an error message about the mouse again!

Solution:
/usr/sbin/mouseconfig
Select proper mouse (probably already selected)
Ok
Yes to update of the XFree86 configuration file.

startx now works!

Bo Berglund
Software developer in Sweden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP: My public key is available at the following locations:
Idap://certserver.pgp.com
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371

------------------------------

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there any simple way to find required stuff needed to install
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:32:17 -0500

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Patrik Kempe wrote:
>I'm trying to install XFree86 4.0.1 from rpm's, though I can't get it to
>work. When I press 'upgrade' (I'm using rh 6.2 w/ gnome) this dialogue
>is displayed saying stuff like 'the following dependency problems
>occured:' and then it lists some files needed, eg 'XFree86-4.0.1-1
>requires /etc/pam.d/system-auth, XFree86-4.0.1-1 requires
>libncurses.so.5' and stuff like that.
>
>Now, I believe I've downloaded and selected all the packages needed for
>XFree86 4.0.1. If that is the case, is there any not-utterly-complicated
>way to find those files required?
>
>Patrik

When rpm says it can't find the dependencies it means either:
1)  your path doesn't include the location where they are installed, or
2)  you don't have them.

To fix #1 add their location to the environmental variable PATH  by putting
PATH=$PATH:<their location>
in bash.rc or boot.local or ~./profile

To fix #2 go out to  http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM
and download and install what you need.

------------------------------

From: Brian & Colleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't Find X11R6 include files.
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:38:02 -0700

==============F3B891D22147E7864DB05B31

David Efflandt wrote:

> Perhaps you need to install XFree86-devel which includes X11R6 static
> libraries, headers and programming man pages.  This should be easy enough
> to do with the Package Manager in DrakConf.

Thanks David. Once I knew what I was looking for it was no problem to get the
whole thing up and running. I guess I'll keep looking at Perl for a while now.

--
 Brian & Colleen Smith
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============F3B891D22147E7864DB05B31

David Efflandt wrote:
easy enough
Thanks David. Once I knew what I was looking for it was no problem to get
the whole thing up and running. I guess I'll keep looking at Perl for a
while now.
<pre>--&nbsp;
&nbsp;Brian &amp; Colleen
Smith&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;[EMAIL PROTECTED]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;<A
HREF="http://mypage.direct.ca/g/greybria">http://mypage.direct.ca/g/greybria</A></pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anita Lewis)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: HELP: RPM database updating on a package?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 15:39:42 GMT

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 14:50:39 +0200, Friedhelm Neyer wrote:
>Hi
>try a rpm --rebuilddb
>
>McManus Leo Root DSP Consultant schrieb:
>
>> I removed my Netscape 4.72 RMP package and installed 4.73 from a .tar
>> file. Now I cannot install my PLUGGER.RPM file as it cannot see the
>> Netscape 4.73 in the RPM database. Is there anything I can do about
>> this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Leo

I think that will only put it there if it is an rpm.  You might want to have
a look at http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/NByName.html and install either 4.74.
or 4.75.  It's a big download, but that would fix the problem.

When you try to install the plugger rpm, is it just giving you an error
about needing netscape?  If so, you can try it with

rpm -ivh --nodeps filename.rpm

I don't know if the install you did would have put the netscape files in the
same place as an rpm.  I'd try the nodeps install of the plugger first.  You
might also be able to find that rpm as a tarball and install it that way
like you did netscape.  Then if those don't work, you can get the rpm.  You
will have to remove what you have installed before installing the other or
when you run 'netscape' you may still get the currently installed version.

Anita

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (root)
Subject: Re: Accessing certain sites fails SOLVED.
Date: 14 Oct 2000 15:39:23 GMT

On 13 Oct 2000 16:44:20 GMT, Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Attempting to access http://freshmeat.net/ from my Linux box fails.  At

I have the same problem with some sites www.[av, irtc, dailyjobs].com do this,
 but only a while after I made connection.(???) at first, they seem to work
 fine, but later they go bogus. They still go bogus if i reconnect (I use ISDN),
 ping doesn't work either. They all need a "cool-down" of a couple of hours.
This is only sice I use ISDN, with modem/same ISP/same Account didn't do this...

> >This kind of problem is usually caused by mismatched MTUs Do not set
> >the MTU or MRU for the PPP interface.  If the ISP is stupid enough
> >to request a MTU for itself that's smaller than the 1500 default then
> >use the pppd default-mru.
What are MTU's / MRU's ?
Mine are both set to 1500, should I change them or leave them out altogether?

Tijmen

yes, yes, I know about old chinese guy saing plaing with root is bad for tree.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Haley)
Subject: Re: MTA replscement for sendmail
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 16:00:36 GMT

On 14 Oct 2000 10:00:59 -0500,
 Art Haas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I use Qmail at home. Its configuration I found much simpler than
>sendmail, and it was easy to build and install.

Sendmail is very easy to setup for home use if you follow the
Sendmail-Address-Rewrite Mini-HOWTO. Took less than 10 minutes and most of the
time was spent reading.

--
1 out of 6,000,000,000 CAN be wrong!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (root)
Subject: Re: Anybody get Netscape 6 Preview 3 to install?
Date: 14 Oct 2000 16:07:22 GMT

On 14 Oct 2000 09:50:15 -0500, Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Netscape 6 is a flaming piece of crap.  I can't believe it took them 2
> years to write this.  The newsreader is totally unuseable.  It just
> disappears with no error message when I try to download all the
> newsgroup titles, which is the first thing you have to do with any
> newsreader.
>
> Netscape deserved to be bought by AOL!  MS didn't run them out of
> business - their software (still) just sucks.

So many cool things went crap, NS is just one of a long list:

Microsoft/dos was cool, but went windows
Netscape was cool, but went AOL
Amiga was cool, but went bankrupt
IBM was cool, but went .. Um, where Did IBM go? They exist, but what do they do?
WordPerfect (5.1) was cool, and I'm still using it.
Targa was cool, but they aren't right now.

I know no real alternative to NS though. Hope the Mozilla M17 will be cool...

Tijmen

------------------------------

From: Brian S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help compiling workman
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 16:05:08 GMT

I'm getting a weird link error when I try to compile workman-1.3.4.
Before I started compiling I downloaded and installed
xview-3.2p1.4.bin.tar.gz.  I added /usr/openwin/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf
and ran ldconfig /usr/openwin/lib. I unpacked the workman tar file,
changed to the directory.  Set OPENWINHOME=/usr/openwin and followed the
rest of the install directions.  It compiles and then the last link
step it bombs out with:

gcc -O2 -Wall  -I/usr/openwin/include  -L/usr/openwin/lib -
L/usr/X11R6/lib  -o workman workman_stubs.o database.o cdinfo.o
display.o setup.o ui_cdinfo.o plat_sun.o plat_hpux.o plat_linux.o
plat_news.o plat_bsd386.o plat_ultrix.o cdrom.o scsi.o drv_toshiba.o
drv_sony.o plat_svr4.o plat_freebsd.o plat_osf1.o plat_irix.o index.o -
lxview -lolgx -lX11
/usr/openwin/lib/libxview.so: the `getwd' function is dangerous and
should not be used.
/usr/openwin/lib/libxview.so: undefined reference to `_xstat'
/usr/openwin/lib/libxview.so: undefined reference to `_fxstat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [workman] Error 1

I'm stuck, so now what?  I read all the docs but there was no mention
of this problem.  This is with RedHat 6.2 if that makes a difference.

Thanks in Advance,
Brian

From: Peter Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slackware vs RedHat - Security
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:20:49 -0400

Try not to depend on a Linux distribution for security.  You should be
in charge of security instead, read about Linux security, disable
services you aren't using, and watch BUGTRAQ for security updates.  All
distributions need security updates and you've got to be proactive if
it's truely important to you.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Peter Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OpenBSD- Opinion
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:23:58 -0400

I thought the installation program was pretty impressive except for the
disk partitioning software, which is rather opaque in it's details.
Unfortunately OpenBSD didn't support my IDE controler on a rather
generic machine, a situation that I doubt you'll encounter with Linux.

------------------------------

From: Alexander Gretencord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:29:59 +0200

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 16:00:36 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Haley)
wrote:

>Sendmail is very easy to setup for home use if you follow the
>Sendmail-Address-Rewrite Mini-HOWTO. Took less than 10 minutes and most of the
>time was spent reading.

qmail as he said is very easy to setup too and what I really like is
the Maildir Format ! Have a look into it, if you want it with more
sendmaillike config use postfix it can use Maildir Format too, can
work with your old sendmail configs and is like qmail written with
security in mind ! I use qmail myself and have had no probs with it. I
also run djbdns another piece of software written by Dan Bernstein.
Its a BIND replacement written with security in mind. I like the idea
of having software thats not got loads of root holes in its history
and probably in its future too !

Alex

------------------------------

From: "Roy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: ftp login problem
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:44:10 +0200

Hi,

never heard this message before.

But: make sure there is a /etc/shells file on HPUX 10.20

What is your UNIX-OS ???  Hardware?? Name ??Model ??
Maybe that would help.

Greetings
Roy

8s9s1m$lgv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 16:58:30 GMT

In our last episode (14 Oct 2000 14:16:48 GMT),
the artist formerly known as MaryP said:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rafael
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Which distribution is better regardles security?
>
>Well, the people on the Slackware newsgroup are
>always making fun of Red Hat people because RH
>gets cracked so often. Whether this is because there
>are more ppl using RH, or because there are more
>programs floating around to crack RH, or because
>Slack's security is better, I have no idea.

I'd suggest augmenting the "factors" list to include:

- Red Hat may well have some more "questionable" defaults;
  the only truly exemplary system appears to be OpenBSD, which
  has virtually everything shut off by default, and the gentle
  administrator has to explicitly enable what needs to be
  enabled.

  What should be the "default" is inherently ambiguous; what services
  some consider necessary, others will consider spawn of the devil,
  never to be used.

- A system that is adopted by 10x as many users would, all other things
  being equal, be expected to result in 10x as many reports of problems.

  RH is quite widely used, so there is more of a population out there
  to have _potential_ to report problems.

These are basically the items you have mentioned, which are somewhat
arguable matters.  On to less obvious issues, that are likely to
outright _bias_ things, likely in favor of making RH look bad.  Or any
other "popular" Linux distribution, for that matter...

- A system that is adopted by 10x as many users is Generally A More
  Attractive Generic Target For Attack, as an attack that looks for RH
  defaults will be more widely usable than one for Slackware.

- Slackware is _considered_ "daunting to beginners," whilst RH is billed
  as "friendly (friendlier?) for beginners," and hence there will be
  more "experts" running Slackware systems, and more "clueless" running
  RH systems.

  This has the direct result that irrespective of defaults, the RH
  systems are less likely to be "competently" managed, thus making them
  more vulnerable.

- The "likelihood of competent administrator" is likely to make Slackware
  a less attractive target.

  If the would-be hacker knows that Slackware systems are more likely to
  be competently managed, then he may look at the initial indications,
  see "Oh, seems to be Slackware," and head off for a more attractive
  target despite the fact that the administrator _could_ be a blithering
  idiot.

  This property is more commonly associated with OpenBSD; the fact
  that it comes, out of the box, with fairly paranoid defaults means
  that the "blithering idiot" effect still may not leave it too
  vulnerable.

- Slackware encourages more-or-less manual customization of config; RH
  doesn't.

  With RH, you can expect that a lot of administrators won't change
  the config too much, and "Script Kiddies" can use scripts that are
  designed based on the Standard Defaults provided in a base RH
  install.

  With Slackware, there is a _vastly_ greater likelihood of lots of
  services having been configured by hand, which substantially
  diminishes the uniformity of configuration.  Scripts _can't_
  assume Standard Defaults to nearly the same extent, which means
  it is less likely that the attack scripts will be built.

These factors are all suggestive that there may be a whole lot
more successful attacks on RH systems than on Slackware systems;
this does not inherently imply superiority of Slackware itself over
RH, and discussions to that end really demonstrate something else.

Namely that some Slackware users may feel sanctimonious in their feeling
of "technological superiority" over those that are less expert.

Which is not unlike men getting together and feeling superior because
there are fewer women in high political office, or like white folk
getting together and feeling superior because there hasn't yet been
a black US president.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: can't get via82cxxx to sing
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 17:28:59 GMT

In <ga_F5.45348$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 10/14/00
   at 02:34 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith) said:

>For this specific product, in Linux the best way to get it
>working is to use the ALSA drivers. They include VIA 82cxxx
>drivers that actually work, as opposed to the standard Linux
>kernel drivers, which can be beaten into submission to produce
>very poor quality, after you've done the necessary ritual
>sacrifices and incantations. Unfortunately, the ALSA drivers are
>a bit of a pain to install. You're best off reading the
>instructions two or three times before proceeding.

I had trouble with the Alsa though mainly my own lack of
concentration but had better success (with equal inattention)
getting the OSS drivers to work under Linux.

One of your webpages is referenced by an OS/2 site -- I'll have
to look it up for you -- but leads to a dead link. I'm trying to
access your site as given in your signature as we 'speak'. I have
profitted a lot from reading your posts in these groups.

I'll look for the OS/2 drivers though I suspect after all of
this, I'm going to have to buy an addon card if I want my trinity
of operating systems up and running.

(I'm not getting onto your website yet -- strange.)

F.

     Felmon John Davis
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     os/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ALDEL)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 13:59:26 -0400
Subject: RH 6.2 Email???

I have RH-6.2 using Gnome on Pent.1.
Connect to internet fine.
Tried Pine, Sendmail, Netscape, but cannot send or receive
Email. Error msg's "fatal data error" etc.

What is the easiest Email pgm to use with this
config, and how?

Help really appreciated,
It took me 83 years to get this dumb.
Albert, Wa3fib.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (ALDEL)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Zajic)
Subject: Re: Windows reading Linux
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:00:26 GMT

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:10:06 -0000, Clayton Cheung wrote:

> We all know that we can access Windows vfat in Linux, but can I do
> it the other way, that is, can I access Linux disk in Windows?

Try <http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/Explore2fs.htm>.

HTH,
Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-  Thomas "ZlatkO" Zajic  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Linux-2.2.17/slrn-0.9.6.3pl1  -

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Zajic)
Subject: Re: quake for linux?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:00:29 GMT

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:14:02 +0200, Tijmen Stam wrote:

> I thought there was a quake (1) for linux fersion already out in stores,
> but I couldn't find any on games.linux.com. Can anyone tell me anything
> about it?

<ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/unsup/unix/>
<ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quakeworld/unix/>
<ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake2/unix/>

You'll also need the original DOS/Windows data files to play.

HTH,
Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Netscape uses cache more than its quota?
Date: 14 Oct 2000 18:09:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:04:07 +0530, Kousik Nandy
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Anyone has any idea why netscape uses 51M of cache when
>>I asked it to use 8M? How do I limit this usage?

> AFAIK, it has been this way for some time. I use a cron job to delete
> the whole bloody thing once a week.

As an example, here's mine, which runs at 3:02AM every day -- *before*
backups run.  No sense backing up all that cruft.

02 3 * * * cd /home/jlb/.netscape/cache; rm -rf *

Use 'crontab -e' to add that to your personal crontab, and you are set to
go.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering