Linux-Misc Digest #28, Volume #21                Wed, 14 Jul 99 00:13:16 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux vs. Unix (Markus Doehr)
  Re: Dev's won't work??? (Ron Gibson)
  Temp monitor prog for Linux? (Paul Schmidt)
  Re: suse, RH...? (Alex Lam)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (Jason O'Rourke)
  Re: Suggestions for a Linux book? (Alex Lam)
  Re: Kernel upgrade: make modules -> nothing to do for 'modules' and complains
afterwards ? (John McKown)
  Re: mouse isn't working (John McKown)
  Re: ??: LILO And Hiding A Partition - Help?!?! (John McKown)
  Re: Suggestions for a Linux book? (Daniel Forester)
  Re: Apache and .htaccess file (Ben Short)
  Re: Installing SuSE from HD (Daniel Forester)
  Maximum filesize limitation (Bill Verant)
  Apache and .htaccess file (Jim Thomas)
  Re: Installing SuSE from HD (Stewart Honsberger)
  Re: Web server information ("Eyem A. Coward")
  Help! Annoying problem with file ownership. ("dkmallick")
  Re: Ftape and Red Hat 6.0 Info (Douglas Bollinger)
  Re: Need opinions- how's S.u.S.E. 6.1 (Michel Catudal)
  Re: dfe-530tx  ethernet card  these work in linux?????? ("Robert A. Ober")
  Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver? ("Cowles, Steve")
  Re: CIA assassinations (Michel Catudal)
  Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver? ("Cowles, Steve")

From: Markus Doehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Unix
Date: 13 Jul 1999 23:31:02 GMT

We use Linux and Solaris_x86 and I'm lucky with both of them.

I tried the 'free SCO' but compiling qt gave me errors of 'not implemented,
sorry' in deeply nested C++ structures... I used the compiler that came
with the free CD. Now I'm playing at home with but not using it for
developing apps.

Solaris's doin' nice on a 486-DX2 66 when booted, but sometimes it's a
little bit too tenacious, but it works fine.

We also have HP-UX currently upgrading to 10.20. I don't have much
experience with but our CAD admin is lucky.

So there's something for everyone :-)

Markus Doehr
IT Admin
AUBI Baubeschlaege GmbH

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Gibson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Dev's won't work???
Date: 14 Jul 1999 00:10:08 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:09:23, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore) wrote:

> > > Those are not commands, they are devices.
> > >
> > > Just what would you expect executing /dev/fd0 to do?

> > Oh brother.  I made a typo.  That should read "invoking commands that
> > includes a dev such as ftape or fd0"

> > Clear now?
>
> Then assuming they have the right major and minor (2,0 for fd0 and 27,0
> for rft0, which is what ftape usually points at), it's probably that you
> built a kernel lacking support for floppy devices.
>
> Look at /proc/devices.  If you don't see fd as major 2 under block
> devices, that's your problem.

Turned out to be a kernel problem.  Even the install kernel had the
problem. Recompiling and remaking modules solved the problem.

                      email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Paul Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Temp monitor prog for Linux?
Date: 14 Jul 1999 00:07:55 GMT

Greetings,

Does anyone know of a Linux program that is similar to the windows program
Motherboard Monitor 4 which can display the temperature of my CPUs on an
Abit BP6 motherboard?

I'm running kernel 2.2.5 on a dual overclocked Celery 450A and really am
curious what the temps are compared to running NT.

Paul Schmidt

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: suse, RH...?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:29:57 -0700

James D wrote:

> My SUSe locks up on me repeatedly in Xwindows.  At times it won't even
> completely boot up.  there are times when it just sits idle and a bunch of
> hex datra will just show up?  Anyone experience this?  could it just be a
> hardware configuration thing?  I thought this OS was supposed to be stable.
> The documentation is some of the worst I've ever come across.

No, I'm running SuSE in two boxes, an AMD K-6 2 3Dnow with EIDE, and a
dual P-II SMP, full U2WSCSI/3  boxes. Both are as stable as a rock.
The only down time have been when I issued the shutdown command.

I think you have mis configed something.

Yes, the doc can be improved. But it's not worst than M$'s doc.

Alex Lam.

--
*remove all the Xs (upper case X) if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason O'Rourke)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark?
Date: 13 Jul 1999 18:16:48 -0700

De Messemaeker Johan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jason O'Rourke wrote:
>
>> De Messemaeker Johan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >So why aren't you paying your contributions to the UN then ?
>>
>> Because the UN stopped taking orders.
>
></SARCASM ON>
>Oh, i didn't know it was a business. I always thought it was an
>organization to bring peace to the world ... or something like that.
>Thank you for the truth.
></SARCASM OFF>

I guess I should remember to post my remarks in code next time.  Johan
misses the sarcasm otherwise.  It apparently also has a secondary mission
of clearcutting forests to print all of their meaningless reports.

But you have got to be kidding yourself if you think that was the reason
for the UN's formation.
--
Jason O'Rourke  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.jor.com
'96 BMW r850R

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for a Linux book?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:20:48 -0700

lawrence ta-wei lu wrote:

> HI,
>
> I'm a newbie to Linux.  I've used Unix before, but never did any of
> the system admin stuff.  I was looking for a book that would be good
> for the beginner Linux user that would discuss the basics of installation
> and maintence of my Linux box.  Thanks
>
> -Larry

-Linux in a Nutshell.

-Linux Adminstrator Survival Guide.

Alex Lam.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade: make modules -> nothing to do for 'modules' and complains
afterwards ?
Date: 14 Jul 1999 01:07:25 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:58:10 GMT, Andrei A. Dergatchev
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,

 [snip]
>make config
>make dep
>make clean
>make zdisk
>make modules
 [snip]

What happened to:

make modules_install

?
That's what copies your updated modules from the /usr/src/linux/...
directories into the /lib/modules/<release>/ subdirectories.

Hope this helps,
John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: mouse isn't working
Date: 14 Jul 1999 01:07:26 GMT

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:48:40 -0400, Matthew Cromer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I do see a message about at PS/2 mouse being detected during the boot
>process.

 [big snip]

First off. If you're at the X signon screen, use a <Ctrl><Alt><F1> to
go to a character mode console. Login as root.

enter "ls -l /dev/mouse". Assuming the system was previously using
a PS/2 mouse, you should get a indicator that this is symlink'ed to
"psaux". If it is symlink'ed to a ttyS?, then the system is expecting
a serial mouse.

Now check to see if PS/2 support is in the kernel. On my RH 6.0 system,
running kernel 2.2.5-15, I can "cat /proc/misc" and I see "psaux" in
the response. If you don't see this, you'll need to modify the kernel
to have PS/2 support in it. If you don't do this, X will not work and
Xconfigurator will report an error installing X. It did this to me and
it took me about 2 hours to realize that the problem was NOT my video
board or monitor. If Xconfigurator seems to fail for no reason that
you can fathom, look in "/var/log/messages" and look for the message
"modprobe: can't locate module char-major-10-1" on my system, this is
the psaux device. You can verify the same in your system by doing a
"ls -l /dev/psaux" The two numbers just before the date are the
major and minor device numbers (in my case 10, 1).

I hope this is of some help. I hope you don't get the impression that I'm
"talking down". I just don't know your level of experience. Mine is not
that great, and I like getting as much info as possible, even if I happen
to know the most of it. Repeation enhances learning (at least for me).

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ??: LILO And Hiding A Partition - Help?!?!
Date: 14 Jul 1999 01:07:24 GMT

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:42:04 GMT, Douglas E. Mitton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi All;
 [big snip]

>When the Win95 drive boots I just remap the drives so that Win95 is C:
>and the old games drive is D: and the CDROM is E:.

Question. What you posted implied, to me, that the GAMES are running under
MS-DOS 6.2 (not Windows in DOS mode). If that is so, are you aware that
DOS 6.2 does not support FAT32? If you change your Windows95 drive to
FAT32, then DOS 6.2 won't understand what it is and will ignore it.

It's easy to convert. Windows comes with a utility to convert a drive
from FAT16 to FAT32. You get to it by bringing up Windows Explorer,
right click on the HD icon you want to convert. Click on Properties.
One of the TABs has the properly labelled icon. Click on it.
DO NOT CONVERT YOUR DOS 6.2 DISK!! So far as Windows is concerned, once
you've converted to FAT32, there's no going back! Actually, I did this
with Partition Magic. It's much easier (to me).

Hope this helps even if this isn't directly a Linux question.

Have you tried running the games under DOSEmu? I don't run it, but some
things should work. Just a thought.

John

------------------------------

From: Daniel Forester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Jul 1999 01:43:03 GMT

Alex Lam was talking... AGAIN...
: -Linux in a Nutshell.

Second that.  O'Reilly books rock.

--
Daniel E. Forester
Georgia Institute of Technology

And God said, "Let there be vodka!"  And He saw that it was good.
Then God said, "Let there be light!" And then He said, "Whoa -
too much light."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Short)
Subject: Re: Apache and .htaccess file
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:05:58 +1000

says...
> I am new to Linux and Apache and am setting up a Apache Web server. I
> am using Red Hat v6.0. I have the server running but am not able to
> access any files in my personal directory. The error I get is: You
> don't have permission to access /~jimt on this server.
>
> I understand from doing some reading that there are ".htaccess" files
> that are required to provide access to directories other than the
> server root of /home/httpd/html. I can not find any real information
> on .htaccess files. What is their content? How are they implemented?
> Are there any samples of these files I can copy from?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Jim Thomas
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

your directory where the html files files are ket (~jimt/public_html)
should be read-executable to the world, and so should the files located
inside it.

chmod o+rx ~homedir/html_dir
chmod o+rx ~homedir/html_dir/*
Ben Short                http://www.shortboy.dhs.org
Shortboy Productions     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*Remove n0spam to email me*

From: Daniel Forester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing SuSE from HD
Date: 14 Jul 1999 02:18:14 GMT

Stewart Honsberger was talking... AGAIN...
: Did you try /hdb1/6.0 ?

Okay, so I'm a moron.  It was on hdc...  ;-)  Anyways... I'm now having
probs. getting the network up and running... I've messed around with
HOSTNAME, resolv.conf, and a few others... anything that I might be
missing?  I can't even seem to get anything via IP address, so I
dunno what it is.  thanks y'all....

--
Daniel E. Forester
Georgia Institute of Technology
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte061f/

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night...   Set him
on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

------------------------------

From: Bill Verant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Maximum filesize limitation
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:31:34 -0700

Hello all,

        I have actually run into a problem with the 2GB filesize limitation
under Linux (ext2 filesystem).  I was using kernel version 2.0.36, but I
have upgraded to 2.2.10 as of today.  Unfortunately, the results are the
same and I am now wondering if there is patch or another way around this
filesize limit?  I have a legitimate need for a larger-than-2GB file.

        Any information concerning this issue is greatly appreciated.

        Thanks,

        Bill Verant

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 02:09:02 GMT

On 13 Jul 1999 22:32:31 GMT, Daniel Forester wrote:
>: windows) called 6.0.  D:\6.0.  So, I put in hdb\6.0, and hdb1\6.0, and
>: neither could find it.  Any suggestions?  Should I move the files to the
>
>Yes, I did actually put, "hdb/6.0", and "hdb1/6.0", not like I wrote
>above.   ;-)  Still thinking in dos....

Did you try /hdb1/6.0 ?

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: "Eyem A. Coward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Web server information
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:26:14 -0400

Phil Hunt wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>            [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Andrew Savory" writes:
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Darren Paxton wrote:
> > > Just a quickie, been searching the web and deja.com to try to find the
> > > address of that site that gives information on what kind of machine a
> > > server is running on.
> >
> > www.netcraft.co.uk
>
> And Microsoft IIS has lost market share for, what is it, 5 months
> running!
>
> --
> Phil [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IIS is kind of crappy. and M$ proxy server is easy, but crappy for its
features [or lack of]. It does not have  telnet support. I recomend
wingate.  I would run apache. try running 700 virtual domains on M$
IIS!! apache says "no problem". many ISPs run apache. hell, the web is
littered with apache.

------------------------------

From: "dkmallick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Help! Annoying problem with file ownership.
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:26:42 -0500

I am running Linux-Mandrake 6.0 on a Pentium II. I have two different user
accounts - one under my name and one under my wife's name. Everything is set
up according to the book, as far as I know. I run kde on my account and my
wife's account has a gnome default. Everytime my wife runs the cdplayer or
the
mp3 player like xmms, it changes the rights to several dev files (as
follows):
/dev/cdrom
/dev/mixer
/dev/sequencer
/dev/fd*

As a result when I log into my account, I cannot listen to my cds or mp3s
(the programs give me error messages). When I check on the files, i see
their rights something like this:

crw-------     *wife's account name*    root      blah  blah blah

What I am usually doing, is I become root and do 'chmod a+rw' and 'chown
root.root' on all the above files, and everything is back to normal. But the
problem repeats if the cdplayer or the mp3 player is fired up from my wife's
account.

What is going on? What can I do to stop this problem?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Ftape and Red Hat 6.0 Info
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:02:08 -0400

This is another of a series of informal walk-throughs on using ftape
and some of it's support programs to access and use a floppy tape
drive.  In this post I'll go over formatting a tape, using mt to put
more than one tar archive on a tape and using some of the included
scripts to help manage the tar archives.  I'm using RH6.0 and a
internal TR3 tape drive hooked to the floppy port.  Most of the
information presented is rather general and should work with other
distributions, but YMMV.

Does your tape drive "shoe shine" on one spot when you are trying to
write or verify an archive?  Are you tapes getting a bit old and
starting to give you troubles like this?  Did your previous parallel
port tape drive EOT sensor die and force you to master the Zen art
of respooling TR cartridges?  Did you have to respool 3 cartridges
(one twice) before you decided to junk the old drive?  If you are
starting to have trouble with a cartridge, it's usually a good idea
to format it.  Luckily, the ftape package gives you a command to do
this.

Now, if you are using RH 6.0, remember that they used ftape version
3.04d.  You MUST use the tape tools from this distribution of ftape,
the newer tools, specifically ftformat, do NOT work with ftape
3.04d!  Download the archive "ftape-3.04d.tar.gz" and look in the
contrib directory.

Let's see what version of ftformat we are using.

[doug@godzuki doug]$ ftformat -V
ftformat ftformat 1.0

Good, this version works with ftape 3.04d.

Let's do a retension to make sure everything is optimum.

[doug@godzuki doug]$ mt -f /dev/nqft0 retension

Now, for some reason I have to be root to use ftformat.  I don't
exactly understand why, but that's the way it is.

[doug@godzuki doug]$ su
Password:
[root@godzuki doug]#

Ok, now let's boogie.

[root@godzuki doug]# ftformat -f /dev/nrawqft0

This command works to format a TR3 cartridge on my machine.  If you
using another drive, you might want to check the man page or
ftformat -h for other commands to get it working with your hardware.

Notice I used the RAW device to format the cartridge.

Of all the ftape commands, this takes the longest by far.  Luckily,
the cpu usage is very low, so you can continue on with your work.

The "mt" command has many useful functions.  The ones that I use
most are "retension, status, eod, fsf and rewind"  The "mt" command
is used with tar to store more than one archive on a cartridge.
While tar knows how to archive files, it doesn't have a clue on how
to move the tape around; that's mt's job.

Say you already have an archive on tape and you wish to add another.
First you might want to use the listtape script included with the
ftape tools to check out the contents of the cartridge.

[doug@godzuki doug]$ listtape -f /dev/nqft0
file number  block size         volume size          tape space
     0          10240         1.4 gigabytes       1.4 gigabytes

Remaining space: 180.0 megabytes
Tape block size: 10240

Ok, say that I would like to stick another tar archive after this
one.  If I just executed a tar command, this archive would be
written-over.  Enter mt:

[doug@godzuki doug]$ mt -f /dev/nqft0 eod

What, no tape sound?  Well, mt just moves some kinda internal
pointer.  So don't get worried if nothing happens right away.  You
should here the tape drive spin fast before the archive is written.
Ok, lets make a small archive to try things out.

[doug@godzuki doug]$ tar -cvf /dev/qft0 mp3
mp3/
mp3/09-give_it_away.mp3
mp3/ACDC_-_Back_In_Black.mp3

Ok, I just made an archive of my massive mp3 collection.  Let's use
listtape to see if it's really there.

[doug@godzuki doug]$ listtape -f /dev/nqft0
file number  block size         volume size          tape space
     0          10240         1.4 gigabytes       1.4 gigabytes
     1          10240         8.2 megabytes       8.2 megabytes

Remaining space: 171.8 megabytes
Tape block size: 10240

Hey, it worked!   Let's move the tape ahead and check the archive.

[doug@godzuki doug]$ mt -f /dev/nqft0 fsf 1
[doug@godzuki doug]$ tar -dvf /dev/qft0
mp3/
mp3/09-give_it_away.mp3
mp3/ACDC_-_Back_In_Black.mp3

The first command moved the tape to mp3 tar file.  Note how the fsf
command number is the same as listtape's output.  The second command
just tells tar to verbosely compare the archive to the harddrive.
As always, see the man pages for more information on how to use
these
utilities.

Well, that pretty much covers the basics of tape backup for linux.
Now that you know how to do it the tar way, you should check out the
program taper, it makes tape backups MUCH easier and faster if you
are just interested in backing-up a single machine.  Taper sports a
user-friendly interface, archive listings stored on hard drive for
quick access and support for the "quick fast forwards" on the tape
drive.  It is very quick and easy to restore a single file backed-up
with taper, something that can't be said for tar.  The compression
with taper also works well, it's cpu friendly and very safe- each
file is compressed separately.  I highly recommend this program!

Unfortunately, those red hatted guys have a really screwed-up
version of taper included with the RH 6.0 distribution, it seg-
faults like crazy.  Checkout the taper home page for a updated
version of taper that works with the 2.2 kernels:

http://www.omen.net.au/~yusuf/

I'm using Taper 6.9a which seems to work fine with RH 6.0.  You will
have to compile it from the tarball.  I'm not aware of a rpm right
now.

Enjoy your tape drive under Linux and stay safe with backups!

--
Douglas Bollinger
Mt. Holly Springs, PA   17065

My other computer runs Linux.

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need opinions- how's S.u.S.E. 6.1
Date: 13 Jul 1999 22:36:12 -0500

Ampon Chumpia wrote:

> Michel Catudal wrote:
> >

> <snip>
>
> > This seems to be a Netscape bug. I have actually worst results
> > under RedHat 6.0. All versions of Netscape 4.51 up get flushed
> > under RedHat 6.0 certain web sites. Under SuSE Netscape crashes.
> > A kill cleans up fast. On the other hand Netscape US 4.5 works
> > great on either one.
> >

> Don't know about Netscape as they do have occasional problems on
> all distributions I use, but I have the same observation about
> the
> core file. At work I have both RedHat6 and Mandrake6 and they
> produce core dump very often. I use SuSE at home and it doesn't
> give
> me the core file (yet). Would it be possible that SuSE include a
> secret script somewhere to get rid of this core file before it
> become visible to us :-).
>
> ac.

SuSE will erase old core dumps after 7 days on my PC, I haven't
changed the default. This keeps me from cleaning up. I haven't
found any core dump this week. I could say that SuSE is very
stable, I have used RedHat for over 1.5 years (Slackware before) and
I find SuSE much more stable than any of the RedHat install that
I've had.

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access

------------------------------

From: "Robert A. Ober" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dfe-530tx  ethernet card  these work in linux??????
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:45:57 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi there
>
>         i am using SuSE 6.1 would this have the  VIA Rhine driver?  i am
> reading the manuals soo ill eventually get it working, its just a bit
> confusing at first

Compile it into the kernel.  Haven't gotten mine working in RH6 yet.
However, same card/machine combo doesnt run in win98 either so I may
have bad something.  Machine's mboard is several years old.

Y,all have fun,
--
Robert A. Ober
Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Cowles, Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:53:49 -0500

I also use rdate to set my Linux box time using cron. On my Windows machines
I use the following command to set their time against the Linux box. The
"net" command comes with every version of Windows I'm aware of.

net time \\linuxbox /s /y

Steve Cowles

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: CIA assassinations
Date: 13 Jul 1999 22:28:00 -0500

Richard Kulisz wrote:

> Capitalism, by definition, is about powermongers so to say that it has
> been ruined by powermongers is nonsensical. Note that capitalism and
> the free market are completely different things. The free market is
> about perpetual warfare, chaos and anarchy. Nobody seriously believes
> in the free market, least of all capitalists.
>
> Socialism only got busted due to repeated invasion by capitalist
> neighbours. There *has* to be a change because there is no end
> to the rise in productivity and hence to the proportion of the
> population that becomes marginalized. The pressure against the
> capitalists will rise indefinitely.

Capitalism is man exploiting man
Communism and socialism are the opposite

From: "Cowles, Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:12:59 -0500

This is a followup to my previous reply.

NOTE: "rdate" does not set the Hardware Clock (bios clock), it sets the
system time only. I use the command "hwclock" in conjunction with "rdate"
when my cron job kicks off. That way, if I have to reboot, (very very rare!)
I can be sure that my time is close to accurate. I.E. +/- a few seconds. My
cron job kicks off once a day.