From: Kevin Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Funky Colors on Eterm
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 02:13:48 GMT

Hey guys,

I just upgraded to Red Hat 6.2.  Now I have funky colors for
directories, rpm ,etc....when using my Eterm.  How the heck do i get rid
of these.  I figured out how to do it with xterms by editing Xdefualts
but I cant seem to find any thing like that for Eterms.

Thanks
Kevin

------------------------------

Subject: Re: RedHat gets "echo" wrong
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Macbride)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 02:23:20 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent) writes:

>It actually says
>
>   -e     enable interpretation of the backslash-escaped characters
>
>and doesn't say what the default is.

It says both. However, with no arguments, there is no "-e", which means
the above doesn't apply. From that, we don't know what the default is.

However, with no arguments, "Without -E, the following sequences are
recognized and interpolated:" is explicitly stating that backslash escapes
will work. But they don't.

> >What's worse, the bash builtin doesn't recognise them either.
>It does if you use -e.

Which is of no use at all if you are running #!/bin/sh scripts, unless you
want to edit every script to use "echo -e" instead of "echo". (And, in that
case, other Unix boxes will put an explicit "-e" at the beginning of each
output line!)

--
        Craig Macbride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
=======================http://www.nyx.net/~cmacbrid========================

------------------------------

From: michael branton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: how to move a raid array ?
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 22:29:25 -0400

i need to move ide drives in a software raid array on a redhat linux 6.1
system to  different ide controllers on the system. just changing
/etc/raidtab and restarting definitely doesn't do it. i always get only
the first drive listed being marked as up, no matter what order they are
listed  in. anybody know how to do this ?? if so, an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  would be most greatly appreciated.

--

michael branton

------------------------------

From: Jan Schaumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Funky Colors on Eterm
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 22:33:37 -0400

Kevin Clark wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I just upgraded to Red Hat 6.2.  Now I have funky colors for
> directories, rpm ,etc....when using my Eterm.  How the heck do i get rid
> of these.  I figured out how to do it with xterms by editing Xdefualts
> but I cant seem to find any thing like that for Eterms.

funky colors, like what?
You mean, when you type "ls" you see directories in blue and tar.gz in
red etc? (or other colors)
Well, that's just "ls --color" (or the equivalent in your shell). many
people WANT that... iti set either in your .bashrc or systemwide in
/etc/bashrc (if you use another shell, the appropriate files should
contain something like
alias ls='ls --color')

HTH,

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann
http://jschauma-0.dsl.speakeasy.net

Tact, n.:
        The unsaid part of what you're thinking.

------------------------------

From: John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dosfsck for vfat?
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 22:32:49 -0500

Is dosfsck safe to use on vfat partitions?

John

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How is identd called?
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 22:24:22 -0500

Identd is the daemon which establishes user identities for
network services.  It may be started as a daemon by
/etc/rc.d/init.d/identd or it may be run via inetd.

I checked several machines running RedHat 6.1, and found
it was stopped. chkconfig showed it off.  So it is run
via inetd, and that would be appear to be a common configuration.

Under which circumstances might it be started in initd?
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: Netmask 255.255.255.252?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 02:55:01 GMT

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:47:12 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
>I am trying to use a Redhat 6.1 PC as a gateway/firewall and I am trying
>to use just a segment with 4 (2) IP-addresses but something is not
>working. I use 10.1.1.4 as network address, 10.1.1.5 on the Cisco
>router, 10.1.1.6 on the Redhat PC and 10.1.1.7 as Broadcast address. The
>Cisco is working just fine but the RH does not. I can't ping the PC
>neither ping from the RH PC. Is there something special I need to
>configure to make Linux use such a mask?

You'll have to use a different mask. You only have two bits left for host
addresses - 1 and 2. Using a 255.255.255.253 SNM, you're limited to
10.1.1.0, 10.1.1.1, 10.1.1.2, and 10.1.1.3 as IP addresses. The first is your
subnet's network number, and the last is your subnet's broadcast address.

If you only want a small subnet, I suggest using 255.255.255.248, which will
leave you with 10.1.1.0 through 10.1.1.7, .0 being network address and .7
being broadcast, you're left with .1 through .6 as useable host addresses.

By your summarization of IPs above, it looks like that's what you were going
for - you were just one bit away. :>

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: VIRUS WARNING !!!!!
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 03:01:18 GMT

On Mon, 03 Apr 2000 01:28:28 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
>> The fact is that W2K is not an upgrade for Win9X - it is a switch to NT.
>> And the general public neither wants nor needs NT.  They should, instead, be
>> "upgrading" to Windows Millenium.  See the text below.
[...]
>       Umm.. why the hell would we be worried about this, since we're
>all running LINUx here? unless you're totally clueless about the
>Newsgroup header, you've posted this to comp.os.LINUX.misc. Your windows
>Virus means nothing here. Why not go call up Redmond and tell BillyBoy
>to make a less virus-prone operating system.

I still can't be sure whether Kenny and yourself are being sarcastic, or...

--

Subject: Re: Linux/Unix What is the difference?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Macbride)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 03:01:55 GMT

Johannes Nix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Better: Linux is encouraging standardization in the somewhat
>fragmented Unix world.

Linux has done a wonderful job of encouraging a number of things: use of
reliable operating systems, the pushing of the open source concept, kernels
with runtime-loadable device modules. All excellent stuff. However, up
until recently, GNU/Linux was still clinging, in some areas, to using 20
year old BSD command arguments that most (ie. SysV) Unix variants had moved
on from 10 to 15 years ago. This is hardly encouraging standardisation!
It's excellent to see that Linux finally supports "ps" with the standard
SysV arguments, for example.

However, there are still many Linux developers who don't seem to have a
clue about the whole concept and go changing the output of commands for
no obvious reason, oblivious to the concept that other software developers
might actually write scripts that call commands (eg. finger) and that
small, unnecessary changes to such commands simply break such scripts.

And then there are commands like "echo" (in bash), for example, which
still doesn't, by default, (or in any externally configurable way, such as
an environment variable) even provide the features of all the other
IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 shells on other systems.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Diego Berge)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: How do I write man pages?
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:02:26 GMT

Hi,

   this is quite a basic question, but I don't seem to find the info
tonight with Altavista or at the usual linux places. Anyone kind
enough to point me to an appropiate source? TIA

   btw -- I believe this post is ok in c.o.l.development.apps. My
apologies if it isn't.

Regards,
Diego Berge.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Missing directory on Kodak PhotoCD
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 04:00:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry) writes:

' I have a Kodak Photo CD and I'm trying to use it with Gimp and XHpcd.
' Unfortunately can not find the images when their loaded under Linux.
' Yet when I load the CD under Win95 I find them under the Pictures
' directory. What do I need to do to get them to show up under a Linux
' mount?

I have:

/dev/hdc        /cdrom                    auto         ro,noauto,user 0   0

in my /etc/fstab file.

When I mount the PhotoCD, the path to the images is:

/cdrom/photo_cd/images >

The kernel is compiled with ISO9660 file support.

Does Gimp understand the pcd format?  I seem to recall using another
utility to convert pcd files into tiff so I could work with them.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

http://www.packetphone.org/

Mencken and Nathan's Ninth Law of The Average American:
        The quality of a champagne is judged by the amount of noise the
cork makes when it is popped.

------------------------------

From: GarbMan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP!! kernel configuration problems
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 23:13:59 -0500

asage wrote:

> I'm trying to compile kernel 2.3.51.  I read the Configure.help file
> right through, and took note of all recommendations.  I've tried to
> configure this thing twice now, and have gotten the same error:
>
> drivers/parport/parport.z(parport_pc.o): In function 'parport_pc_init':
> parport_pc.o(.text.init+0x107): undefined reference to
> 'parport_pc_init_pci'
>
> Thanks
>
> Allison

That one didn't build for me either (or probably alot of other people?).

You could try patching it up to 2.3.52, which compiled fine for me
anyways, or even try out one of the 2.3.99-preX ones, but remember that
you may run into problems with any of the 2.3.x development kernels.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Quake2........resolution
Date: 3 Apr 2000 04:09:06 GMT

On Sun, 02 Apr 2000 19:52:34 GMT, Fairway Fatty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I just loaded quake2 on my linux partition running RH6.1.  Ive got a ATI
>rage128 card and running the rage128 rpm driver i d'loaded.  Anyway..... as

I cannot answer your video questions, since I use 3dfx, but the mouse I am
familiar with.

>also the mouse is really erratiic when i use it in the game... it is a MS
>3button scroll mouse......... thanks for any help any help.......... Fairway

Quake 2 doesn't use gpm, it accesses the mouse directly using svgalib
routines.  Edit /etc/vga/libvga.config, which is somewhat similar to
XF86Config, and set it to your mouse type.  In most cases this will be PS2
instead of the default Microsoft (which is a serial mouse).

If incorrectly set to Microsoft when you have PS2, your character will
just runaway, shooting uncontrollably, if you touch your mouse.

One thing you can do to save disk space is to simply mount your vfat drive
and symlink the pak files there to where they should be in your Linux
Quake directory.  But you may want to use different config files.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: John & Susie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv,rec.video.satellite.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x,comp.infosystems.www.browsers,comp.infosystems.www.browswers.misc
Subject: Re: Dish Network's site is DOWN if you don't use M$'s browser.
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 00:01:49 -0400

Worked OK for me (Communicator 4.5)? But if they cant design web pages
to suit the general public, dont go there.

John

------------------------------

From: "soldier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie - a few questions
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 00:09:20 -0400

Hello,

I purchased Linux 6.0 with the Linux Unleashed book. I have installed it and
learned all the basics, and have a few questions I was hoping someone could
answer:

1. I have download Linux apps and installed them with GNORPM. But afterward,
I can find no icons to run the applications? GNORPM shows the app is
installed and what directory it is installed in. I am running the Gnome X
Windows interface and am logged in as root while I learn. I hope this is
isn't too stupid of a question, but how do I find and run the applications
after I install them with GNORPM?

2. Is there an easy way for me to upgrade from 6.0 to the latest version of
Linux?

3. I'd like to use Linux as my main OS if possible (switching over from
Windows) but need access to a suite of apps similar to MSOffice if I am
going to do it. I heard from someone that these apps, or their equivalents
are free on the Net somewhere? I would like to have an MS Word equivalent
program if possible.

4. Last question: Working with TAR, GZ, Z and all the other types of files
at the command line is a bunch of bull. Is there a nice GUI that handles ALL
of the possible archives (similar to Winzip)?

Thanks all for the help!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How do I write man pages?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 04:23:10 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Diego Berge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    this is quite a basic question, but I don't seem to find the info
> tonight with Altavista or at the usual linux places. Anyone kind
> enough to point me to an appropiate source? TIA

The short answer: man 7 man

The long answer:

Basically, all you need to do is write the groff input using the man
macros and place the page in /usr/local/man/man1 (or the appropriate
section). The simplest way is probably to follow the basic outline an
existing file such as /usr/man/man1/ls.1 although there are a number
of programs to convert from a more "author-friendly" format.

As a further hint, you can preview what your page will look like via
man ./mymanepage.1.

>    btw -- I believe this post is ok in c.o.l.development.apps. My
> apologies if it isn't.

Personally, I think a man page is an essential part of any
application.

--
Matt Gauthier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "soldier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Questions
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 00:23:18 -0400

Hello,

I'm new to Linux and had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer:

- I want to get a browser like Network Neighborhood but for Linux so I can
browse Windows machines and/or other Unix based machines. Does such a thing
exist?

- How big of a deal is it to convert a Solaris app to run in Linux? Is it
worth the trouble?

- How can I make my swap partition smaller, and dedicate the extra space
gained back to my main Linux partition? I accidentally made it too large.

- While Linux boots, it autodials my ISP - can anyone tell me how to shut
this off?

Thanks everyone!

------------------------------

From: Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 02 Apr 2000 22:15:51 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Diego Berge) writes:

>    this is quite a basic question, but I don't seem to find the info
> tonight with Altavista or at the usual linux places. Anyone kind
> enough to point me to an appropiate source? TIA

Find documentation on writing nroff, with the -man macroes.  No, I have
no idea where it can be found, other than in the 3-ring binder in my
office labelled ``The Necronomicon.''
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002