Linux-Misc Digest #28, Volume #27                 Mon, 5 Feb 01 08:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: NFS broken with 2.4.1? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Xf86 4.0.x Nvidia drivers TNT PCI ("Nordseeklinik Borkum")
  Re: samba password issue. ("Jerome Davies")
  Simple daemon question... (Andrew)
  configuration of login (Sven Heinecke)
  Re: Starting KDE as a user (Glitch)
  Re: Zip command ("michael.fengler")
  Re: Errors In Partition Table (Werner Fangmeier (ESN Bochum))
  Re: Convert Word-DOC to PostScript (Andres Kuusk)
  Re: KDE dependencies... (Joerg Stadermann)
  cups 1.1.6 & staroffice 5.1 (Joerg Stadermann)
  Emacs question ("Jan Vandesompele")
  Re: implementation of colored man pages (Martin Gregorie)
  Re: RAM advice ("Xavier Houppertz")
  DPMS + XFree 4.0.2 ??? (Stamatis Stefanakos)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Unable to access or mount hard drive/floppy drive from Rescue mode (Anita Lewis)
  Re: modprobe not working in 2.4 (Fabrice Colin)
  Re: RAM advice (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Linux + Docking Stations.  Can I unmount hardware? (Eric)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Permissions on symbolic links ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  problems with lilo (F. Heitkamp)
  POp 3 delays (Mark Penkower)
  backspace w/ XFCE (John D Prokopek)

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS broken with 2.4.1?
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:58:15 +0100

MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Peter T. Breuer wrote:

>> MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>> No, you miss the point (again!). These are not basic simple tasks, and
>> that you don't know that and are unable to grok that the
>> difficulty stems from that inexpertise plus the nature of reality is
>> your problem.

> Wow! You really have some personal issues, don't you.  Arrogant,
> opinionated, and OFTEN wrong (I'm not going to take the time to point out
> the specifics, as the effort would obviously be wasted here).

If that is your own personal arrogant personal opinion, feel free to stick
with it.  Do you have a basis for it, out of interest?

From: "Nordseeklinik Borkum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Xf86 4.0.x Nvidia drivers TNT PCI
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:24:43 +0100

Hi there

I have a GA 586 HX running an K6-3, with a RIVA TNT 1 card, sitting on my
PCI bus. My kernel is 2.4.1, i downloaded the NVIDIA Kernel and GLX Package
from www.nvidia.com, version 0.9-6. Compiled and installed and inserted the
module NVdriver, as the NVIDIA people have writen in theri FAQs etc. The
librarys and modules are correctly installed, too. Twice and more times I ve
redone this. When I use the nv driver everythink works except 3d, but with
the nvidia driver nothing works. X starts and immidieatly exits back to text
mode saying : "could not open device /dev/nvidia0, errno 1024"

any hints please ?

bye

------------------------------

From: "Jerome Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: samba password issue.
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:57:30 -0000

I'm a newbie as far as Linux but I noticed that Samba doesn't use encrypted
passwords (by default) and Windows does. There are settings to change this
in both but I don't have them to hand right now. Does this help?

J Davies.

Bosco Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:92spbs$u3c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have just setup samba on my Linux box (RedHat 6.2) on the lan. My
Windows

------------------------------

From: Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Simple daemon question...
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 10:01:50 GMT

Hi.
Where to put string which will run/respawn the following daemon on RH6.2

a_daemon [--pidfile PIDFILE] ...

???
Andrew

--
___________________________________
Have a nice day there!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Sven Heinecke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: configuration of login
Date: 5 Feb 2001 10:13:47 GMT

Within the SuSE distro you can specify the amount of time for which
login is blocked after a bad login attempt. I switched to MD 7.2 and
couldn't find this option. I had a look at my old SuSE /etc/login.defs
and found this line:

FAIL_DELAY              amount of time

I added this to my login.defs but that had no effect. I read the man
pages for login but I didn't find a section for the settings in
login.defs !?

Could someone point me to a useful source of information?

thank you

Sven

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:18:30 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Starting KDE as a user

mike wrote:

> Hi,
>     my friend has SuSE 7.0 and wanted to run KDE as a user and
> for some reason couldn't. He said that he could run it as root.
> He also tried to start it from the command line and couldn't.
>     What is the way or ways that this can be accomplished?
>
>                                                         Thanks
>                                                                     Mike

want to give us more info?
what errors does he get? how is he starrting it?  He should be using
'startx', to start X obviously. KDE will be started then with it. KDE is
only a window manager/desktop environment, u still need an X server running.

------------------------------

From: "michael.fengler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Zip command
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:12:56 +0100

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Anna Gori wrote:

>coult you tell me what packet I have to install on my linux 6.4 to get
>the command zip?
>
>Or where can I find information about the find of the right packet for
>the zip command?

Point your browser to http://freshmeat.net and search for "zip"
(you'll probably also want "unzip").

- mike

------------------------------

From: Werner Fangmeier (ESN Bochum) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Errors In Partition Table
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 10:54:31 GMT

John,

That's certainly true, but in this case the "overlap" is
somehow "virtual", since the "end sector" settings in the partition
table for the three Linux partitions seem to be incorrect. Looking at
the "findpart" output earlier in this thread, it's "3392*" for all
three, and then they of course seem to overlap (in fact, they are
even "nested"). My current target is to verify if this might work. Of
course, I'll back up all data before, and if something goes wrong, I'm
ready to partition the drive from scratch...

--
Werner E. Fangmeier
Diplominformatiker u. Softwareentwickler

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andres Kuusk)
Subject: Re: Convert Word-DOC to PostScript
Date: 5 Feb 2001 11:14:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Esteban Flocco) wrote:

> First, convert the doc file to html with wvHtml

What is wvHtml and where I can find it?

Andres Kuusk
Tartu Observatory, Estonia

From: Joerg Stadermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE dependencies...
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:19:20 +0000

nybblex wrote:

> hi,
> I 've downloaded KDE2 (its screenshots looks nice!) recently but I found
> troubles with its installation..
> To be more specific, I downloaded 3 rpms that in the KDE Installation
> Instructions file said that it was required (kdelibs, kdebase and
> kdesupport)...
> My problem is that when I tried to install it, I noticed that there are a
> looooooot of dependencies that are missing from my computer...
> So I started to find all that depedencies that are required to install
> KDE2 but there are too many and I could hardly find them all...
> I was wondering if I can find all KDE's dependencies in one rpm or
> something...
>

> thanx in advance
> Konstantinos
>
> P.S Thanx a lot for your help in one of my previous questions.. That
> problem is solved now..

Hi,

have you installed the rpms in the correct order (kdesupport, kdelibs,
kdebase)?

Have a look at  http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/install.html

Joerg

------------------------------

From: Joerg Stadermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cups 1.1.6 & staroffice 5.1
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:20:45 +0000

Hi,

I have a problem with cups and staroffice. After installation of cups, all
applications use it happily, only staroffice won't print anymore. I have a
deskjet 690c connected to /dev/lp0. Staroffice uses its own deskjet 1200C
driver, which worked ok with lpr. The cups setup is as follows:

url:    ipp://localhost:631/printers/deskjet
device: parallel:/dev/lp0
model:  HP Deskjet Series CUPS v1.1

I use the follwing printer setup in staroffice:

default_queue=lp -d deskjet

I also tried lpr -Pdeskjet or lp -h localhost -d dekjet, but none of it
worked. The jobs show up in the queue as 'completed' but nothing happens,
so I guess it's more likely a postcript  than a connection problem.

Any ideas?

TIA

joerg

------------------------------

From: "Jan Vandesompele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Emacs question
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:08:40 +0100

I know there is a way to make emacs automatically organise the indentation
in scripts and code you're editing. Does anyone know how you can do that?
So for example:
if(blahblah){ echo "Yes";echo "No";}

becomes:
if(blahblah){
    echo "Yes";
    echo "No";
}

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Subject: Re: implementation of colored man pages
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 11:20:21 GMT

On 2 Feb 2001 23:38:44 GMT, Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> Same applies to termcap - some implementations use colours, others use
>> underlining and/pr reverse video.
>
>> For instance RH 6.2 colours man pages and directories with the xtem
>> (PuTTY) and telnet (Teraterm) implementations I've used to access it.
>
>no - that's a different topic.  The manpage change is done to an existing
>program (man) by changing how bold and underline are displayed.  One could in
>principle change the termcap strings to achieve this, but it would not work
>well.

Sorry - mistyped. I meant TELNET implementations, not termcap!

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

From: "Xavier Houppertz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RAM advice
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:24:06 +0100

"Jean-David Beyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [...]
100220K
> > > cached
> >
> > watch during high usage of your server with vmstat, how long
> > it keeps swaping,

here is a vmstat 5

 procs                  memory    swap        io    system         cpu
r b w  swpd  free  buff cache  si  so   bi   bo   in   cs  us  sy  id
0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   5   0    3    2    0    0   2   0   5
0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   0   0    0    0  160  160   0   0  99
0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   0   0    0    2  174  161   0   1  99
0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   0   0    0    0  177  160   1   0  99
0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   0   0    0    1  168  159   0   0  99
0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   0   0    0    0  175  162   0   1  99

is 'cpu id' the idle time ? then i only have an average of 5% since last
reboot (72 days) ?

> > What about disk speed? Look with hdparm how much your disks give you...
>
> I do not believe hdparm works with SCSI drives. Do we know what the OP
> is using?

it does, here it is :

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  4.64 seconds = 6.90 MB/sec

is that ok ?

Xavier

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:27:33 +0100
From: Stamatis Stefanakos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DPMS + XFree 4.0.2 ???

Is there a way to get support for DPMS and X 4.0.2 ???

Actually what I want to do is to turn off this damn thing!

(So it is actually on, but I can't access it with any way - X reports
that DPMS is not supported!)

Thanx,
S.

Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 10:59:21 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Johan Kullstam wrote:

> > > Uh, fella, this is as basic a piece of modal logic as one can get.
> > >
> > > You seem to be unaware of the logic of modalities like belief, proof,
> > > necessity, obligation, and so on. Id normally direct you to the
> > > library, but let's try ...
> > >
> > > Basically the logical operators "belief" and "not" do not commute, OK?
> > > I gave you a clearer example of how that can happen using Goedels proof
> > > operator ("prove not" != "not prove"), but the same goes for modal
> > > operators like belief, obligation, and so on.
> > >
> > > Now you know what the subject area is called - it's an important and
> > > large one - you can look it up.
> >
> > you can stop trying.  it is a lost cause.  as far i can determine,
> > aaron r kulkis is a write-only device.
>
> Then how come what I write always relates to what was written
> by someone else (leaving the only logical explanation: that,
> yes, I *do* read.....moron).

yes, you do read, but you don't take input.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anita Lewis)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Unable to access or mount hard drive/floppy drive from Rescue mode
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 11:36:03 GMT

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:01:00 GMT, David J. wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am trying to boot my Red Hat 6.2 system (PIII 450 Mhz, linux kernel
>version 2.2.16) into Rescue mode by booting from the floppy drive, without
>accessing the hard drive.  (This is because when I boot into Rescue mode for
>real, I will have just formatted the linux filesystems on the hard drive,
>and the root partition will not contain a /etc/fstab file. Hence
>all the filesystems, including the root filesystem, will not be able to be
>mounted.)  FYI, I'm using LILO to dual boot the machine between Win 98 and
>Linux; hda1 is FAT32, while hda2 is linux swap and hda3 is linux native
>(type 83),
>
>With the Red Hat 6.2 Install CD in the local CD drive and the Red Hat
>Install floppy in the floppy drive, I am able to boot into Rescue mode (by
>entering "linux rescue" at the "boot:" prompt from the floppy).  (Due to
>lack of BIOS support, the system cannot be booted directly from the CD.)
>
>My problem is that after I get the bash shell prompt, I am unable to
>mount or otherwise access any of the filesystems on  my hard drive
>(/dev/hda1, /dev/hda3) or the floppy drive  (/dev/fd0).  In fact, in the
>/dev
>directory, the /dev/hda1, /dev/hda3 and /dev/fd0 devices don't even exist.
>
>Does anybody know how I can boot into Rescue mode subject to the following
>constraints:
>- Booting cleanly from the floppy,
>- Without accessing  the hard drive during the boot process,
>- But being able to manually access/mount the hard drive filesystems and the
>floppy drive after booting.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave J.
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I had a different problem with the RH rescue disk.  I found that I could not
use /mnt for the mount point, but had to do 'mkdir /mnt/rh' and use that for
the mount point.  The rescue disk was using /mnt.  But that doesn't look
like the problem here.  I'm curious about it.

First I'd say you could save a lot of time and energy by getting Tom's like
the one poster suggested.  I also wonder what happens when you do:

fdisk -l /dev/hda

Does that show your partition?  I don't recall having this problem with
missing things in /dev when I used the RH cd for rescue, but I was able to
boot from cdrom.  If you try making those nodes, please report back what
happened.  But, if I were you, I would just get Tom's and be done with it.
Then you have it all on one floppy and it is really handy to have in
emergencies.  It works better than the cdrom. Only drawback is that you have
to use vi or emacs to edit. RH cdrom has pico which is easier to learn.

Anita

------------------------------

From: Fabrice Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modprobe not working in 2.4
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:10:11 +0000

Jeff Pierce wrote:
> I upgraded to 2.4 from 2.2.16 mainly for USB to play with.
> I build kernel, USB as modules, and so on.
> Get modutils-2.4.1, configure build and install.
> Now I boot 2.4, no problems except for can't locate modules ppp, slip.

I don't have a Linux 2.4 box here but AFAIK the PPP module is now
called "ppp_generic" or something...

------------------------------

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 13:29:18 +0100

Xavier Houppertz wrote:

> "Jean-David Beyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> config or

> 0.16
> 14028K buff
> 100220K
> > >
> > > watch during high usage of your server with vmstat, how long
> > > it keeps swaping,
> >

> here is a vmstat 5
>
>  procs                  memory    swap        io    system         cpu
> r b w  swpd  free  buff cache  si  so   bi   bo   in   cs  us  sy  id
> 0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   5   0    3    2    0    0   2   0   5
> 0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   0   0    0    0  160  160   0   0  99
> 0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   0   0    0    2  174  161   0   1  99
> 0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   0   0    0    0  177  160   1   0  99
> 0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   0   0    0    1  168  159   0   0  99
> 0 0 0  8152  4540  5128 98936   0   0    0    0  175  162   0   1  99
>
> is 'cpu id' the idle time ? then i only have an average of 5% since last
> reboot (72 days) ?

I wouldn't count on that:

us + sy + id = 100, that's what it should be...

Try writing vmstat to file and let it run a few days, this way you should see
where bottleneck is...

I wrote this script to get some usefull data if the loadaverage gets to high,
you can run it from CRON
every min.

Adopt it for your needs (put in vmstat...)

#!/bin/sh
# [EMAIL PROTECTED]
# test loadaverage

uptime >> /var/log/load.average.txt
LOAD=`cat /proc/loadavg | awk  '{ print int($1)}'`

#The point we start gathering more data?
LWATCH=5
if [ $LOAD -ge $LWATCH ]
then
        echo "--------------------------------------------------" >>
/var/log/load.average.txt
        top bn 1 >> /var/log/load.average.txt
        echo "--------------------------------------------------" >>
/var/log/load.average.txt
        ps faux >> /var/log/load.average.txt && dmesg >>
/var/log/load.average.txt
        echo "--------------------------------------------------" >>
/var/log/load.average.txt
fi

> > > What about disk speed? Look with hdparm how much your disks give you...
> >
> > I do not believe hdparm works with SCSI drives. Do we know what the OP
> > is using?
> > >
> it does, here it is :
>
> /dev/sda:
> Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  4.64 seconds = 6.90 MB/sec
>
> is that ok ?
>
> Xavier

Puh..., rather slow (SCSI-II?), for a DB server I would use something quite
faster, SCSI-U2W could give
you ~20 MB/sec and more...

Good luck

Michael Heiming
Sysadmin

--
       __   __   __     Virtueller Bau-Markt AG
 \  / [__) [__] [ __    Meerbuscher Strasse 64

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux + Docking Stations.  Can I unmount hardware?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 13:31:02 +0100

Mike Dahlgren wrote:

>     I recently picked up a Stinkpad 755CD (Pentium 75, 40 meg ram, 800 meg
> HD + RedHat linux 7.0).  It also came with a DOCK II (Model 9545, I think).
> Anyways, if I boot with the 2.4 kernel, it will find the ISA ethernet
> card(NE compatable) and it works.  The problem is that it won't allow me to
> undock the laptop, w/o rebooting and choosing the 2.2 kernel that came with
> RedHat(I can undock when using this kernel).   Could someone tell me how I
> could tell linux to stop linux from even knowing that it's there?  I've
> tried shutting down all the kernel modules, and that wasn't enough to let me
> undock the laptop.  Anyone know how I can get around this?

First of all, don't multipost.

Second, you cannot mount or unmount hardware. period.
You can mount/unmount a filesystem.
I don't know what you want to do, or how you know it fails.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 07:35:10 -0500

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Johan Kullstam wrote:

> > > you can stop trying.  it is a lost cause.  as far i can determine,
> > > aaron r kulkis is a write-only device.
> >
> > Then how come what I write always relates to what was written
> > by someone else (leaving the only logical explanation: that,
> > yes, I *do* read.....moron).
>
> yes, you do read, but you don't take input.

I just did.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Permissions on symbolic links
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:25:13 GMT

I'm pretty new to Unix and Linux.

Can a symbolic link have different permissions, owner, group,
stickybit, suid flag, etc. to the file that it links to? If so, what
are the rules regarding these permissions - I'm guessing that I can't
create an executable symbolic link to a file that I don't have
executable permission on, for instance.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (F. Heitkamp)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 07:47:34
Subject: problems with lilo

I have lilo 21.6.1 installed on my PC.
No matter what I've tried I get the
"No setup signature found" when I try
to boot the latest 2.4.x kernels.  Moving
the same kernel to a Debian installation
on a different disk works fine.  I've
tried reinstalling lilo from sources and
that doesn't help.  I have a Abit Athlon MB
and all LSI SCSI disks.  Could there be
some reminants from a previous lilo screwing
things up? If so how to I get rid of them?
BTW I have OS/2 bootmanager installed and
lilo just to do the final booting of linux
on the root partition.  My lilo setup boots
the 2.2.x kernels fine.

Fred

------------------------------

From: Mark Penkower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: POp 3 delays
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:46:19 GMT

When a user (using the netscape messenger client) tries to get his email
- from within our network - it can take several minutes to retrieve the
mail.  My mail server is a P 120 with 64 meg of ram - running whatever
version of Sendmail and a Pop 3 client that come packaged with Caldera
Open Linux 2.4.

I once had a mail server that was a 386 with 4 meg of ram - running
Caldera 1.4.  It never had any problems, and users got their email
instantly - all of the time.  I had to upgrade because sendmail 8.8 had
too many relay problems.

Why is this version so much slower - is there something that  can do
with the sendmail.cf file to speed things up - this is ridiculous.

Thanks

Mark Penkower

------------------------------

From: John D Prokopek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: backspace w/ XFCE
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 07:58:06 -0500

I am hoping someone can help me out. I recently installed xcfe on my
RH6.2 box and now I
am unable to get backspace to delete the previous character in an xterm.
I tried modifying the
the XTerm file in the app-defaults but this didn't seem to have any
effect.
I also tried
xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
and that didn't work.

If someone would help me out I would be most appreciative.

thanks

--
John D. Prokopek
[EMAIL PROTECTED]