Linux-Misc Digest #28, Volume #28                 Mon, 4 Jun 01 11:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Setiathome (V Waciuk)
  netscape and cache (faeychyld)
  Re: Can't boot from SCSI if IDE is on ("David Anderson")
  Re: RH 7.1 - lost panel in gnome! (Roger Whiton)
  Problems with at in RH Linux 7.0 (Valentin 30IR976)
  Re: Can't boot from SCSI if IDE is on (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
  Rebuild of packages required? ("Tom Edelbrok")
  REAL UNIX workstation for sale!!! (on eBay)
  Re: RH 7.1 - lost panel in gnome! ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Rebuild of packages required? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Problems with at in RH Linux 7.0 ("Peter T. Breuer")
  how to run KDE while in GNOME? (Teke Tu)
  Re: Ftape Dead in 2.4 Level Kernels? (Jim)
  Re: IDE-DMA ("Wayne Osborn")
  Hang after rebuild of kernel ("Tom Edelbrok")
  LCD Active Matrix laptop display and Xwin problems. ("LRW")
  Re: netscape and cache ("bowman")
  Where are my boot files? ("Tom Edelbrok")
  Re: Hang after rebuild of kernel (Michael Heiming)
  linux box cannot be seen in networkneighbourhood of win2000. ("Liverpool_fc")
  Re: Move a large file from Windows to Linux - How? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Installing TrueType Fonts (aflinsch)
  Re: I need a really small distro for an old puter (John Thompson)
  Re: preventing OS / platform info on connect (John Thompson)
  Re: Can't boot from floppy or cdrom (Casey)
  System check program in Mandrake 7.2? (Warren Bell)
  Problem with kernel 2.2.4  and connection TCP/IP (Miky)
  3-button PS/2 mouse config? (starfire)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (V Waciuk)
Subject: Re: Setiathome
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 11:31:43 GMT

Nothing happens? Is the client in your path? If so you should at least get a
message asking if you wish to create an account. Try moving it to
/usr/local/bin then use the setiathome command. Also install the seti man file
and read it.

Add this to your rc.local file and it will start up on boot and run in the
background.

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/setiathome ]; then
        su - $USER - c "cd $SETIDIR && \
        /usr/local/bin/setiatome -email > /dev/null &"
fi

Change $USER to your username and $SETIDIR to your setiathome directory,
usually ~/setiathome. Also if you want other varibles like -nice or -graphics,
just add them to the line with the setiathome command.

Cheers

On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 13:51:38 GMT, Thomas Fink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> muttered
something about:

--
Vincent Waciuk

"Everything looks bad if you remember it."
                                                        -- Homer Simpson

/* Remove the "nospam." in my reply-to address to reply. */

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 21:39:51 +1000
From: faeychyld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netscape and cache

When I return from a link to the
source page with netscape, it seems
to download the damm thing from the
net again.

I thought this should be instantanious
when the previous page is in the cache.

is this an setting option I have missed,
I do have a disk and memory cache set in
preferences.

--
-
-

------------------------------

From: "David Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't boot from SCSI if IDE is on
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:41:57 +0200

> I boot the machine, get `L 10 10 10 10...' or similar

I had the same problem. Is your SCSI drive supposed to spin up before being
functionnal? check your scsi controller bios and see if it is set to issue a
START UNIT command. I did this on a Tekram 390DC SCSI controller and a
seagate Barracuda hd, and after issuing the spinnup command it worked fine.

PS: i think that 10 is the error code for saying that the device is unusable
(ie not initialised).

--
David Anderson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Whiton)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: RH 7.1 - lost panel in gnome!
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 11:12:20 GMT

On Mon, 21 May 2001 16:58:45 -0400, Stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I installed Red Hat linux 7.1 a couple of weeks ago and everything
>worked great until I decided to install Mozilla 0.9. The install
>finished, but I get segmentation error when trying to run it.
>
>So I decided to reboot the machine, it came up and I logged in, but upon
>starting gnome, I got an error stating something about "panel crashed",
>and I just kept getting the error over and over again (the panel never
>appeared) until I did Alt+Ctrl+Backsp to exit out of gnome. When I try
>to start gnome again, I get no error, but the panel is not there and
>file manager (the only window that opens) is missing the title bar. The
>only way to exit is Alt+Ctrl+Backsp, and that's all I can do.
>
>What can I do to fix it? Any suggestions?
>
>Thanx in advance,
>Stan

Stan:

I had the same problem with disappearing panel, etc.  The only way
I could fix it was to download all the RH updates to 7.1, completely
reinstall 7.1 (used expert, custom, everything), then install all the
updates using rpm -Fvh [package-name.rpm].  The panel came
back.

Regards,
   Roger

------------------------------

From: Valentin 30IR976 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Problems with at in RH Linux 7.0
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:01:30 +0200

Hello people. I am learning the functionality of at command. I want eg.
to run a program at 13:57, and I write
at -f work 13:57  --> I also tried at 13:57 -f work
With atq I see that is queued.

This work contains a program with a while(1) loop, so I should see it on
top command, but nothing.

Then I have rxed this mail on my root mailbox:

==================================
Subject: Output from your job   7

sh: ELF: command not found
sh: : command not found
sh: : command not found
sh: 4: command not found
sh: line 48: syntax error near unexpected token `@'
sh: line 48: `@('
===============================

What is happening? How could I solve this matter?
Many thaks for your help...

Tito

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
Date: 04 Jun 2001 13:59:40 +0200

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, David Anderson wrote:

>> I boot the machine, get `L 10 10 10 10...' or similar
>
> I had the same problem. Is your SCSI drive supposed to spin up
> before being functionnal? check your scsi controller bios and see if
> it is set to issue a START UNIT command. I did this on a Tekram
> 390DC SCSI controller and a seagate Barracuda hd, and after issuing
> the spinnup command it worked fine.

Ah!  Indeed, I twiddled the scsi bios settings for sending the start
unit command.  I had totally forgotten about that one, and I don't
remember whether maybe I tried to frob the scsi bios settings at the
same time when I turned off the ide channels.

Argh.  Never change two things at the same time :-(

Anyway, I shall now try to turn on sending of the start unit command,
as well as turning on the ide drives, to see what happens.

Thanks!

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

------------------------------

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Rebuild of packages required?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 12:28:16 GMT

After I have upgraded a kernel do I have to rebuild the various packages
installed on the Linux box, for example squid, sshd, pptpd, samba, wu-ftp,
and so on? Or will they automatically work properly with the new kernel?

Thanks,
Tom

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: REAL UNIX workstation for sale!!! (on eBay)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 08:45:41 -0400

Think twice before building another Linux box!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1242528161

For sale: Silicon Graphics Octane R10000-175!

512MB RAM in 2x256MB DIMMs (expandable to 2 gigs, 512megs cost $300)

NEW 18gig Fujitsu MAJ3082 HDD

Solid Impact gfx!!!

20'' monitor, 32x CD in external SCSI enclosure, speakers, extra system
drive...

Also included are 13 CDs with IRIX 6.5.11 OS (a very recent release, $300
value!!!)
gcc compiler and all SGI developer tools are included, lots of freeware
too!!!
This machine screams!!!!
And it can run all the same apps your beige Linux box can!
Auction ends in less than 3 days! Hurry!

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:34:00 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc Roger Whiton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2001 16:58:45 -0400, Stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> I had the same problem with disappearing panel, etc.  The only way
> I could fix it was to download all the RH updates to 7.1, completely
> reinstall 7.1 (used expert, custom, everything), then install all the

This is a pretty silly way of reinitializing your .kde directory (and
probably only the kpanelrc file in that).

> updates using rpm -Fvh [package-name.rpm].  The panel came
> back.

Is that surprising? Normally when you throw away your car and
buy another one, you can point at the tank and say "now I have petrol
again".

It would have been simpler to try launching kpanel to see what was up.
A couple of minutes should have been enough to debug the problem. Are
you going to follow your procedure again the next time your panel
refuses to start? I would guess not.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rebuild of packages required?
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:37:24 +0200

Tom Edelbrok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After I have upgraded a kernel do I have to rebuild the various packages
> installed on the Linux box, for example squid, sshd, pptpd, samba, wu-ftp,

No.

> and so on? Or will they automatically work properly with the new kernel?

Yes.

Peter

PS .. read the kernel CHANGES file to see what you DO have to upgrade.
modutils and other things that interact with the kernel are near certs
for having to be upgraded.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Problems with at in RH Linux 7.0
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:35:55 +0200

Valentin 30IR976 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ----------------------------------
> Subject: Output from your job   7

> sh: ELF: command not found
> sh: : command not found
> sh: : command not found
> sh: 4: command not found
> sh: line 48: syntax error near unexpected token `@'
> sh: line 48: `@('
> -------------------------------

> What is happening? How could I solve this matter?
> Many thaks for your help...

This is clear enough. The job you submitted is not a shell script.
It appears to be an ELF binary.

From: Teke Tu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to run KDE while in GNOME?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 13:30:06 -0000

Hi, I have installed both KDE and GNOME in my RH 7.1.

but can anyone tell me how do I exit GNOME and run KDE ??

Thank you very much

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim)
Subject: Re: Ftape Dead in 2.4 Level Kernels?
Date: 4 Jun 2001 13:30:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Jim wrote:
>>
>> I can't get ftape-4.04a to build with the 2.4.2 kernel, and the linux-tape
>> discussion list seems to have been removed from vger.rutgers.edu.
>>
>> Anyone know of any solutions to either of these situations?
>>
>> If not, I guess I'll have to start tar'ing a compressed version of linux
>> over to a windows partition, and copy it to tape as one file, with a
>> verify pass for safety, for backups ...
>>
>> Jim
>> remove not for email
>
>Did you check:
>
>/usr/src/linux/Documentation/ftape.txt
>
>for some hints?

Well, that's ftape 3.04, which has been "disrecommneded" for use with
linux for many kernel releases ...

Thanks,
Jim
remove not for email

------------------------------

From: "Wayne Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE-DMA
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 21:30:18 +0800

In article <3b1ab52f$0$88192$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dances With
Crows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 19:33:57 GMT, Alejandro Alvarez Melcon staggered
> into the Black Sun and said:

<snip>

> The "safe" thing to do with hdparm is to enable multi-sector reads,
> unmasking interrupts, and 32-bit mode.  That's "hdparm -c1 -u1 -m16
> /dev/hdX".  The warnings in hdparm's man page are (mostly) overkill. Try
> enabling DMA and seeing what you get.

It may be best to use -c3 (sync option).

--
  Wayne A. Osborn, SCADA Engineer.[dnar AT iinet DOT net DOT au]
  Registered Linux User #212818.  [2.2.16-22-Win4Lin-686] [i686]

------------------------------

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hang after rebuild of kernel
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 13:33:41 GMT

I built my new kernel 2.2.14-5.0 to replace 2.2.5-20. Everything seemed to
go OK. I did a bzimage so it put it onto floppy and I tried booting, (I
haven't replaced the boot on the hard disk so I can still get to my old
kernel and boot ok).

When I try booting from the new floppy it seems to start out alright, then
totally hangs up on the message "checking module dependencies ...".

Any comments appreciated,
Thanks,
Tom

Am running Redhat 6.0 on PII-233.

------------------------------

From: "LRW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: LCD Active Matrix laptop display and Xwin problems.
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 08:35:39 -0500

Hi all.
Well, putting Slackware 7.1 (which I believe is xfree86 3.3.x) on my laptop.
All is good except the setup of Xwin.
I'm using xf86config, and no matter what server I select SVGA VGA-16, mono,
I get one of two errors.
The screen will turn black, I'll see a few color pixels appear, then the
screen starts doing weird black-white alterations. I have to
ctrl+alt+backspace then ctrl+alt+del and reboot to get the screen back.
If I go in and edit XF86Config to remove any reference to modes higher than
640x480 or color depth greater than 64K, I get an error on Xwin startup that
640x480 mode not defined.
It's an old Toshiba T4850CT with a 640x480x64K TFT-LCD. The installed card
database has a few Toshibas mentioned, but not this one. All of them use
SVGA server anyway.
So in any case, has anyone gotten it to work on an older laptop?
Particularly something close to this model? I'd LOVE to be able to see the
bottom third of your XF86Config!
Thanks for any help. =)

Liam

------------------------------

From: "bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape and cache
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 07:37:54 -0600

"faeychyld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> When I return from a link to the
> source page with netscape, it seems
> to download the damm thing from the
> net again.

all sites? you can set the expiration date on a page so it will (hopefully)
reload everytime, and this is done quite often for pages with changing
content.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where are my boot files?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 13:39:28 GMT

I have rebuilt my kernel and I have created a "bzImage" file that is
supposed to be the new boot file. But on my hard disk there is no other copy
of a "bzImage", therefore when I successfully boot from my old kernel (via
floppy) what boot files is the old kernel using?

If I go to "/boot" I see there is a boot.b, kernel.h, chain.b, os2_d.b,
System.map, vmlinuz, and folders or pointers for both versions of the
kernel, (ie: vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 and vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0, vmlinux-2.2.5-15 and
vmlinux-2.2.14-5.0, module-info-2.2.5-15 and module-info-2.2.14-5.0,
System.map-2.2.5-15 and System.map-2.2.14-5.0.

I can boot successfully on the old kernel via floppy. What is it using for
booting. What I am really after is what do I copy the new "bzImage" over top
of to make it the current kernel for booting?

Thanks,
Tom

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 15:45:02 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hang after rebuild of kernel

Tom Edelbrok wrote:

> I built my new kernel 2.2.14-5.0 to replace 2.2.5-20. Everything seemed to
> go OK. I did a bzimage so it put it onto floppy and I tried booting, (I
> haven't replaced the boot on the hard disk so I can still get to my old
> kernel and boot ok).
>
> When I try booting from the new floppy it seems to start out alright, then
> totally hangs up on the message "checking module dependencies ...".
>
> Any comments appreciated,
> Thanks,
> Tom
>
> Am running Redhat 6.0 on PII-233.

If I remember right, Peter T. Breuer did wrote you, not long ago,
to check the famous Documentation/Changes file, and upgrade
accordingly...

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Liverpool_fc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: linux box cannot be seen in networkneighbourhood of win2000.
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 10:06:42 -0400

hello,

we have a rh6.2 box with win2000 and win98 clients.
the win98 clients can see the linux box in network neighbourhood but the
win2000 cannot.

thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Move a large file from Windows to Linux - How?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:22:22 GMT

In article <j2DS6.1151$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, bowman wrote:

>> The easiest thing to do would be to split the files, copy them to
>> floppies, bring them to the linux box, rejoin them.
>
>the unix tool 'split' has been ported to Windows.  you can use it to split
>the files, and then cat them back together on linux.

There are also ports of gnu tar (which handles multi-floppy
archives) for Windows.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... I have read the
                                  at               INSTRUCTIONS...

------------------------------

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing TrueType Fonts
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:07:53 -0400

Lee Webb wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2001 22:04:19 +0100, Alex Meaden wrote:
> > Please can someone tell me how to install TrueType fonts on Linux? I am
> > running Red Hat 7.1, KDE, XFree86 4.0.3. Is there a GUI program I can use?]

kfontinst works well

> > TIA,
> > Alex.
> There's no GUI app as far as I know, but it's not really needed anyway:
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/TT-XFree86.html

But the above is even easier....

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: I need a really small distro for an old puter
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 08:55:17 -0500

William Burrow wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:53:52 GMT in comp.os.linux.misc,
> Missy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I have a PS/2 56 or 57 made in 1992 with OS/2 currently on it. I know
> >nothing about OS/2, nor really want it. I got this puter to put Linux on [...]

> Hmm, my memory is lousy, but weren't the 50 series PS/2s 286s?  Or is
> this a 386sx-16?

If it has OS/2 installed it would have to be at least a 386...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: preventing OS / platform info on connect
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 08:58:48 -0500

Glitch wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Undoubtedly this is a simple switch somewhere - when I telnet or ftp in
> > to my Linux box (running RH 6.xx), I get a message before the login
> > prompt specifying the OS, and kernel number, and the platform the OS is
> > running on.
> >
> > For example, on one particular box
> >
> > Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
> > Kernel 2.2.5-15 on an i686
> > login:
> >

> > Any way I can turn of the information preceding the login: prompt?
> >

> contents are in  /etc/issue for local logins and /etc/issue.net for
> logins over telnet, etc.    Just delete teh contents of the files.

That'll work until the next time you reboot.  Then the files are
regenerated again by the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script.  If you want
to change it permanently you can edit the rc.local script and
comment out or modify the lines that build /etc/issue and
/etc/issue.net

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Casey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't boot from floppy or cdrom
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:31:45 -0400

Yes, I checked all the connections - appears fine.  Over the weekend,
I found out that the machine would boot using a Linux Rescue floppy,
so I installed Linux on a spare drive and checked the use of the
floppy, etc.  Everything ran smoothly.  Win98 startup still would not
work.  My win98 startup floppy is fine and worked on another machine.
In BIOS, I changed boot sequence to my second CD-ROM (non-burner) and
finally I was able to boot the system from Win2000 CD!  Installed
win2000 last night and finally up and running.  However, I'm still not
sure why I couldn't boot using win98 startup disk.  I'll try it again
tonight.  I'm also going to make a win2000 startup disk and see if it
will work.

At least now, I'm back up !  Thanks for your suggestions.

Casey

------------------------------

From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System check program in Mandrake 7.2?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 08:00:09 -0700

Does anyone know the program Mandrake 7.2 has installed that does the
nightly check of the system and then sends an email to root if anything
in the system has changed?  I think the emails have the subject Diff
check.  I want to install that program or script in another machine but
I don't know what it was.

TIA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miky)
Subject: Problem with kernel 2.2.4  and connection TCP/IP
Date: 4 Jun 2001 07:59:25 -0700

I have the following system: slackware 7.1 with kernel 2.2.4.
The system carries out function of NAT and it has been shaped in the
following way:

iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j
MASQUERADE
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth1 -j ACCEPT

Every time that I try to make a connection (TELNET,FTP,SMTP,ect), the
times is  very long,and sometimes the client is coming in time-out.
How I can make?

Thank you.

------------------------------

From: starfire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3-button PS/2 mouse config?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 4 Jun 2001 08:04:16 -0700

I can get a 2-button PS/2 mouse to work, but not a 3-button PS/2 mouse.
I am running Linux 2.2.14 (Caldera eDesktop 2.4) on a Pentium 3.  I
have tried several variations of the following /etc/XF86Config file:

Section "Pointer"
   Device          "/dev/psaux"
   Protocol        "PS/2"
   BaudRate        1200
   Emulate3Timeout 50
   Emulate3Buttons
   Resolution      200
   Buttons         3
EndSection

#   Protocol        "busmouse"
#   Protocol        "microsoft"   # got an (incorrect) response from mouse
#   Protocol        "IMPS/2"
#   Protocol        "MouseManPlusPS/2"
#   Protocol        "MouseSystem"

When I reboot with this file I get no response from the mouse.  I have
tried two different mice, no luck.  The 2-button PS/2 mouse works fine
with this configuration.  The only Protocol setting that got any response
was the "microsoft" setting - this made the cursor jump across the top edge
of the screen as I moved the mouse, but that was all.

Searches of Caldera's knowledge base and Google searches have not shed any
light on what I am doing wrong.  Any suggestions?

Richard Anderson