Linux-Misc Digest #44, Volume #27                 Wed, 7 Feb 01 01:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: mounting bloc device (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Not using Lilo with Mandrake 7.2 (Hugh Lawson)
  ipchains permissions (Bob Simon)
  I need ideas... (Mikes1024)
  Need a little help IMG files (Skoal)
  Re: Which Linux distribution is best? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Why is Disk Usage Applet Wrong? (M.Knight)
  Setting up a shell server ("Dan Kulpa")
  Slow boot up with Red Hat Linux 7.0 (Jim Parker)
  Setting up a shell server ("Dan Kulpa")
  Re: Scanning on Redhat Linux 7.0 (E J)
  Re: Can't umount (Marcus Lauer)
  Re: Need a little help IMG files (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Scanning on Redhat Linux 7.0 (bullwinkle)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Need a little help IMG files (Skoal)
  Re: RedHat 7.0 and WABI (E J)
  how to configure NEWSSERVER in intranet (niketan sharma)
  Re: imwheel and 5 button IBM mouse? (E J)
  Re: From an ex Microsoft devotee (Richard Steiner)
  Re: win2k/red hat dual boot problem (mike)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: mounting bloc device
Date: 7 Feb 2001 01:31:38 GMT

On Tue, 06 Feb 2001 22:22:35 GMT, Mark Bratcher staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>In article <95pqnh$abf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Frédéric Hoerni wrote:
>>is it possible to mount /dev/sga (cd writer) which is in bloc mode, as a
>>filesystem ?
>>
>Yes, it's possible.

(insert data CD)
# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sg1 /cdrom
mount:  /dev/sg1 is not a block device

SO no, you can't do it that way.  You're looking for /dev/scd0 , the
first SCSI CD-ROM block interface, most likely.  /dev/sg0 is the first
SCSI generic interface, and it's a character device.  The mount program
does not allow character devices; you have to go through some trickery
at the kernel level to make a ZIP drive (block device) connected to the
parallel port (character device) show up correctly.  The name /dev/sga
is deprecated; use /dev/sg0 .

>What format is the CD? Is it a "normal" data CD (like a program disk),
>or is it a music CD?

To follow up on Mark's points, you cannot mount an audio CD; audio CDs
do not have filesystems on them.  To grab audio tracks from an audio CD,
use cdparanoia or one of its frontends like grip.
http://xiph.org/paranoia/ for cdparanoia itself.

(subject:  You can access a political faction via a device node?  Holy
rusted metal, Batman, rm /dev/idiots !)

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hugh Lawson)
Subject: Re: Not using Lilo with Mandrake 7.2
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 01:32:10 GMT

In article <V9%f6.407$ig2.8940@news1-hme0>, Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:

>Sooner or later I may have another go with LILO, but for the present
>booting from floppy is fine.

Maybe you have seen the program 'mkboot'.  I makes a nice, fast-booting
boot floppy.

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

From: Bob Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ipchains permissions
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 01:58:18 GMT

I have RH 7.  I changed the file access permissions of
/sbin/ipchains to 777.  When I try to execute ipchains
from my own account, I get the following message:
ipchains: Permission denied (you must be root)

I thought chmod took care of this but apparently not.
Is there anything I could do (besides su) to run ipchains
while logged in as other than root?

--
Please address private email replies to bsimon at ATT dot Net.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Mikes1024 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I need ideas...
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:13:11 GMT

I'm in a bind.  I need ideas for new, useful software and/or libraries
to write.  Please help me.

--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web-site: http://www.gnurds.org

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Skoal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need a little help IMG files
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:22:55 GMT

I have a linux boot disk that I need to send out on a CD. How can I turn the Linux boot
disk into an img file that rawrite can put on to a floppy?

I tried winimage
I looked for info on rawrite, but I think it's only for writing. I also looked at "dd"
but
couldn't find any references to creating an img file

TIA!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Which Linux distribution is best?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 01:57:03 +0000

. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>> I think this is an issue of patience.  When does your patience run out as
>> you stare at the desktop for Netscape 6 to load,

> If youre running netscape6 on 32 megs of ram, you are an idiot.

If you're running netscape 6 at all you're...

I'll get me coat.

> No, it wont.  Heres what you propose:

> Running pine, tin, pico, etc. all at once.  The three together will hardly
> take up more than a few megs by themselves.

Or elm, tin, joe, etc...
pine can do both news and mail, remember...
:)

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

From: M.Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Why is Disk Usage Applet Wrong?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:36:42 GMT

 I'm using Redhat 7.0 and running Gnome/Sawfish that comes with that
installation.

I'm have the Disk Usage Applet (v 1.2.1) that comes with the Gnome
distribution running in the panel.

I have 3 drives:

6 GB mounted on /dos
2.5 GB mounted on /
20 GB mounted on /home

The applet reports the space used/available correctly on the two smaller
drives, but not the 20 GB drive.

I assume it has something to do with the large size of the drive.  I've
noticed if I place large files on it, the applet actually shows more
space available, but it is still very incorrect.

Any idea how to correct this problem?

Gdiskfree reports the space used/available correctly.

-Michael

--
COMBAT AIRCRAFT: A mix  Michael David Knight       F-4    |Phantom II
of sharp teeth, cold    Gulfstream Aerospace             /O\

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Dan Kulpa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setting up a shell server
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:50:45 GMT

Can anyone point me in the right direction for setting up a full-featured
linux-based (FreeBSD, RedHat, Debian, whatever) shell server?

------------------------------

From: Jim Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Slow boot up with Red Hat Linux 7.0
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 21:54:53 -0500

I have installed Red Hat Linux twice. First, version 6.1, on an old
machine and second, version 7.0, on a new machine. In both cases I
didn't want to risk messing up my existing multiboot capability so I
created LILO boot disks. The version 6.1 boot disk takes about 30
seconds to load and another 20 seconds or so to boot up the rest of
Linux. However, the version 7.0 boot disk takes 4.5 minutes to load
after which the rest of the boot up occurs quicker than the version 6.1.

Why does the version 7.0 boot disk take so long to load? Anyway to speed
it up?

I currently use OS/2 Boot Manager. Can I get Boot Manager to boot up
either version of Linux with out reinstalling Linux? If so, how?

Thanks
Jim

------------------------------

From: "Dan Kulpa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:50:37 GMT

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanning on Redhat Linux 7.0
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 03:08:46 GMT

Are you insane?!  Get kernel 2.4.x which has full USB support.
Get sane from the RH7.0 CD or http://panda.mostang.com/sane/

------------------------------

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't umount
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:40:07 -0800

Steen Suder wrote:

> Dedicated to all Manson Fans wrote:
> >
> > When I try try to umount /dev/hda5 (mount-point: /usr) Iget the error
> > message 'device is busy'. This happens anytime, on shutting down,
> > rebooting or manual umounting (mad sentence, sorry for my english).
> > Any Ideas...
>
> Before shutdown, bring the system to single user mode (init 1).

        Which is done by just typing "shutdown" instead of, say, "shutdown -h
now" (just so it's clear :)

                                                   Marcus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Need a little help IMG files
Date: 7 Feb 2001 03:55:54 GMT

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:22:55 GMT, Skoal staggered into the Black Sun and
said:
>I have a linux boot disk that I need to send out on a CD. How can I
>turn the Linux boot disk into an img file that rawrite can put on to a
>floppy?
>
>I tried winimage I looked for info on rawrite, but I think it's only
>for writing. I also looked at "dd" but couldn't find any references to
>creating an img file

(insert disk)
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=bootflop.img

This is a pretty common use for dd, but not obvious until it's been
pointed out.  dd , unlike rawrite, works both ways, and since it works
below the filesystem level, is handy for doing other things:

(insert data CD)
dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/tmp/cdrom.iso
(remove data CD, insert blank CD-R(W) )
cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 /tmp/cdrom.iso
(eject CD-R(W) blank, which is now an exact copy of the data CD)

HTH,

From: bullwinkle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 04:30:04 -0000

alan simes wrote:

> I have an HP Scanjet 4200C (USB) and loads of patience, can anyone point
> in the right direction of getting it working under Linux.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> simes

Greetings from Bullwinkle

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 23:42:33 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> : news:95fl3c$dju$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Dan Mercer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> : Could you please take this conversation private or at least to
> :> : a more appropriate newsgroup.  While I believe God advocates Linux
> :> : (Bill Gates being the antiChrist)
> : comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
> :> : are not appropriate forums for this discussion.
> :>
> :> When insults are made in public, the responses must be equally public.
>
> : Must the responses be made ad nauseum, though?
>
> : This sort of debate has been going on for as long as humanity and it sure
> : as hell isn't going to be solved in COLA...We can't even agree on something
> : so simple as a distro around here!
>
> This is not an argument over whether or not atheists are correct.
> It is an argument over who the label "atheist" applies to.  Aaron
> is picking a definition that atheists themselves don't agree with,
> and then using that definition to make claims about what atheists
> believe.  That's a classic strawman fallacy.

If you were born of Korean parents in Korea, calling yourself
Mexican doesn't change the facts....no matter how much you
disagree with the definitions of "Mexican" and "Korean"

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Skoal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 05:04:53 GMT

Big THANKS!

BTW, will a rawrite bat file put this on to a floppy?

Again, thanks for the needed help...

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.0 and WABI
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 04:57:53 GMT

There are other options to consider:
1) Get the source code for WABI and unix2dos and recompile for Redhat 7.0
2) Install the libraries that WABI and unix2dos was built.
>From my personal experience, my Wordperfect 8 worked on RH6.2 and when it
was upgraded to RH7.0.
When I blew away my upgraded RH7.0 to a clean install of RH7.0, Wordperfect
8 did not work.
I installed libc-5.3.12-31.i386.rpm and ld.so-1.9.5-13.i386.rpm from Redhat
6.2 CD and my Wordperfect 8
because it was built on libc-5.

------------------------------

From: niketan sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to configure NEWSSERVER in intranet
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 05:30:08 -0000

i want to configure newsserver in the intranet how will i creat newsgroup
etc. etc....
help help
niketan

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: imwheel and 5 button IBM mouse?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 05:18:37 GMT

I hope you are not rioting in Lansing, when the Spartans lose :)
$ man imwheel
It has configuration for more than 3 buttons.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: From an ex Microsoft devotee
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 23:30:16 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
spake unto us, saying:

>Borland (er... Inprise) is working on a project called Kylix, which
>is their Delphi environment placed on Linux. I would expect that
>C++Builder would follow not long after that.

I think they recently regained their sanity and went back to calling
themselves Borland again.  :-)

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Eden Prairie, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: win2k/red hat dual boot problem
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 05:52:46 GMT

Hi mm886,
                you didn't give other details about your system.
Do you have a special hard drive controller card?

I have known some hard drive controller cards or bios upgrade
cards that need the hard drive settings in the bios to be set to
"none".

I think the common bios hard drive settings, if you can change it
is "auto" (auto detect)

Have you tried to use "bios defaults"?
Usually there one or two bios default type settings which
brings you to factory or basic default bios settings.
This might allow a change of hard drive settings.

If all else fails, you might put the drive on another system
and install Linux from there and then put the drive back in
the system.

                                                   Mike