Linux-Misc Digest #44, Volume #28                 Wed, 6 Jun 01 11:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Bootable Linux CD "no emulation" mode? (Bart Lagerweij)
  internet explorer & outlook express (thefoxyone)
  Re: Replicating Linux computers (Gareth Jones)
  Re: A plea to those posting questions (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
  Re: internet explorer & outlook express (Philipp Maier)
  problems with x ("noMoreheroes")
  Re: WYSIWYG HTML Editor for linux (Rainer Krienke)
  Re: Linux Gaming Question (Bob)
  Re: root password problem (Frank McCormick)
  Re: WYSIWYG HTML Editor for linux (del_bert)
  Help for the Hacked.. (LFessen106)
  .DCOP file (Chew GH)
  Re: A plea to those posting questions (John Hasler)
  Re: linux box cannot be seen in networkneighbourhood of win2000. ("bowman")
  Re: Help for the Hacked.. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: GROUP TAKEOVER IN PROGRESS (Bart Lateur)
  Re: X-server access problem in RH 7.1 (Andrew)
  "no rule to make bzimage" ("Tom Edelbrok")
  Re: Free space ("gajo")
  Re: A plea to those posting questions (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
  **help** hosed /var partition ("max barwell")
  Re: "no rule to make bzimage" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: AOL ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A plea to those posting questions (Steve Lamb)
  Re: Help for the Hacked.. (LFessen106)
  Linux gaming Question Next Step ("Multi User")
  Re: X-server access problem in RH 7.1 (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: I need a really small distro for an old puter ("Wayne Osborn")
  Re: Num Lock ("Wayne Osborn")

From: bart@[NoSpam]cts-bv.nl (Bart Lagerweij)
Subject: Re: Bootable Linux CD "no emulation" mode?
Date: 6 Jun 2001 10:16:03 GMT

After some digging I found it:

ISOLINUX - http://syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php

--
Bart Lagerweij - http://www.nu2.nu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (thefoxyone)
Subject: internet explorer & outlook express
Date: 6 Jun 2001 03:40:18 -0700

dont suppose these will work on redhat or other flavours, directx would be nice too :)

------------------------------

From: Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Replicating Linux computers
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 10:46:22 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Help would be apreaciated.
>
>Why?
>
>> THis is easy with RedHat using kickstart. FOr
>> other distributions I'm not so sure.
>
>Why not?
>
>You both could do with either reading the man pages for common
>utilities such as tar and dd, or looking at the Partition HOWTO
>and other relevant material!

Heh, I guess if he knew that dd was the tool to use, he wouldn't have
asked.....thanks for your post, BTW - I've printed it out and will be
checking out the relevant man pages and the howto straight away!

Gareth

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
Subject: Re: A plea to those posting questions
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 10:53:21 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Hasler:
>Peter T. Breuer:
>> you may not make public announcements anonymously in any country that I
>> know of, let alone the US
>
>Where did you get that bizarre idea?

Why, Himself, the only extant Intelligence in His Cosmos, of course.

Do yourself the favor I did months ago and just plonk the crap. You'll
be occasionally reminded how helpful it is after outrageously arrogant
and often ignorant (or sophist) replies to others, like this example.

BTW, I don't give a hoot what the joker has "done" for Linux, either.

As if I'm so desperate for "freebies" I'll be treated as a peasant.

[Sig Snipped...]

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

------------------------------

From: Philipp Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: internet explorer & outlook express
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:02:43 +0200

thefoxyone wrote:

> dont suppose these will work on redhat or other flavours, directx would be
> nice too :)

VMWare? Wine?

Who needs the Internet Explorer, anyway...

Philipp

--
Trouble connecting Psion & Garmin GPS?
Can't connect to a Novell server using SuSE Linux?

------------------------------

From: "noMoreheroes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: problems with x
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:09:45 +0100

the error says

ioctl 0x7667  failed invalid arguement

x connection to :0.0 broken

what is this in simple english - where do i find whats causing this and how
do find the correct info to replace it with?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rainer Krienke)
Subject: Re: WYSIWYG HTML Editor for linux
Date: 6 Jun 2001 11:23:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Saqib Ali) writes:
> Howdy All,
>
> Is there a good WYSIWYG HTML editor for linux???? I used to use Star Office,
> but then I found out it doesnt support nested tables as of yet. For what I do,
> i need nested tables. I dont like the composer that comes with netscape, cause
> it can not handle forms.
>
> Lemme know if sucha beast exist :)
>
> Saqib Ali
> God bless you:)
>
> http://www.stonebeat.org

There is at least one commercial good graphical html editor for linux.
Its hpbuilder from IBM.

Rainer
Rainer Krienke                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universitaet Koblenz,              http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Rechenzentrum,                     Voice: +49 261 287 - 1312
Rheinau 1, 56075 Koblenz, Germany  Fax:   +49 261 287 - 1001312

From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Gaming Question
Crossposted-To: alt.games.quake,alt.games.quake3
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 21:32:12 +1000

You havn't started a map sily ;-)
just type map xxxxx and it will load a map.

------------------------------

From: Frank McCormick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: root password problem
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 05:09:04 -0400

Frank McCormick wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 09:47:59 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
 could look for ?

> > I've heard of something like this before, but can't remember what the
> > solution was.
> >
> > What happens if you just login as a user and su to root, do you still get
> > the delay or not?
> >

>    There is no other user :) I'll have to create one :) I'll try it and
> see what happens.

Back again - created a new user... and discovered the same thing
happens. I get a 45 to 50 sec delay before the prompt returns.
Everything works however. It's just annoying.

Nobody have an ideas ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (del_bert)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 08:45:05 -0400

On 6 Jun 2001 11:23:13 GMT, Rainer Krienke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Saqib Ali) writes:
>> Howdy All,
>>
>> Is there a good WYSIWYG HTML editor for linux???? I used to use Star Office,
>> but then I found out it doesnt support nested tables as of yet. For what I do,
>> i need nested tables. I dont like the composer that comes with netscape, cause
>> it can not handle forms.
>>
>> Lemme know if sucha beast exist :)
>>
>> Saqib Ali
>> God bless you:)
>>
>> http://www.stonebeat.org
>

> There is at least one commercial good graphical html editor for linux.
> Its hpbuilder from IBM.

I thought one had to run it in wine.

Use Amaya, done by the w3 consortium. It should meet the standards and
it's free.

--
Steve - ICQ 35454764
Powered by GNU/Linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LFessen106)
Date: 06 Jun 2001 13:12:50 GMT
Subject: Help for the Hacked..

My box was recently the victem of what looks like a root kit.  I noticed
because my "top" wouldn't function anymore and the "ps" listing was in a
different format.  My question is since I do have a recent full backup, would
it be wiser to just wipe the system and consider it wholly compromised, or
could I get away with restoring the /bin /sbin /etc from my week old tape and
call it good?  And if I can just restore from tape, are there any other
directories I should consider restoring?
Let me qualify this a bit further..  This machine is just a general workstation
in my home and it has internet access only through a dial-up connection with a
dynamic IP address.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-Linc Fessenden

------------------------------

From: Chew GH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: .DCOP file
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:29:44 +0800

Hi,

I am connecting to my ISP with kppp 2.0.3 on Mandrake 8.0
After disconnection and exit from kppp, I get the
.DCOPserver_localhost.localdomain file in my home directory.  What is
this file?  I did a search on usenet and found out that this has got
something to do with FIFOs and not shutting down the dialer
'correctly'.  I exit from kppp using the 'disconnect' and 'quit' buttons
but alas, the .DCOP file is still produced.  I don't kill the kppp
process by issuing a 'kill' command.  How do I prevent this file from
cropping up?

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:42:11 GMT

Harold Stevens writes:
> You'll be occasionally reminded how helpful it is after outrageously
> arrogant and often ignorant (or sophist) replies to others, like this
> example.

Yes, your reply is a fairly representative example of that.

--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: linux box cannot be seen in networkneighbourhood of win2000.
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 07:24:55 -0600

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Liverpool_fc"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
 > simple lan with one rh6.2 box, 5 win98/95 boxes and one win2000
> workstation. only the win2000 cannot see the rh6.2 server in network
> neighbourhood.

first, make sure you have the latest Samba. earlier versions would work with
2000, but had subtle problems. then, is the Linux box in the same workgroup?
samba.conf will let you announce the shares to another workgroup, which
should let the 2000 box see it. see the samba docs for some more info.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help for the Hacked..
Date: 6 Jun 2001 13:25:26 GMT

LFessen106 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My box was recently the victem of what looks like a root kit.
> My question is since I do have a recent full backup, would
> it be wiser to just wipe the system and consider it wholly compromised

I would wipe it completely, saving only my home directory, and only
the files that I know I wrote (no scripts, no .bash_profile etc.).
Thinking "it's safe" is worst that thinking "isn't safe"...

...but maybe I'm only a real cynical bastard...

Davide

------------------------------

From: Bart Lateur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.drugs.pot,comp.lang.javascript,comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python
Subject: Re: GROUP TAKEOVER IN PROGRESS
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:20:21 GMT

Brent K Kohler wrote:

>My first royal order to all of you peons is that from this time
>foward you will add the following signature to all of your posts!

I won't. Nyehnyehnyeh.

--
        Bart.

------------------------------

From: Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X-server access problem in RH 7.1
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:30:07 -0000

We had already tried these steps, and it still doesn't seem to work. What
could be our problem?

SSH will also not connect. The linux box seems to be accessing the network
just fine - we just can't access the linux box.

Andrew

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "no rule to make bzimage"
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:32:58 GMT

When making my new kernel I can do a "make bzdisk" and it does a bunch of
stuff, then writes to the floppy. This is OK.

But when I do a "make bzimage" (to create a disk copy of the kernel) I get
the message:

Make: *** No rule to make target 'bzimage'. Stop.

This occurs even though I have done a "make config", a "make dep", and a
"make clean" from the /usr/src/linux-2.2.14 folder. So far I have followed
the Kernel-HOWTO exactly.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tom

------------------------------

From: "gajo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Free space
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:05:47 +0200

"Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za> wrote in message
news:3b1b1bb5$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> There's a mini-howto on saving spac, "Saving-Space.xxx".
>
> It's only 34K, I can mail it for you, let me know. It describes how to free
> up space on your system.

No problem, it seems I already have this file... :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:35:40 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Hasler:
>Harold Stevens:
>> You'll be occasionally reminded how helpful it is after outrageously
>> arrogant and often ignorant (or sophist) replies to others, like this
>> example.
>
>Yes, your reply is a fairly representative example of that.
>
>>plonk<

Oh well...Live by the sword, die by it, I suppose.  :)

From: "max barwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: **help** hosed /var partition
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 01:50:28 +1200

I backed and restored /var but i didn't preserve the correct permissions,
things are of course acting strangely, where can i get a list of what
they're meant to be, or how can i fix it? A reinstall on this box is not
an option.

max

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: "no rule to make bzimage"
Date: 6 Jun 2001 13:38:05 GMT

Tom Edelbrok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But when I do a "make bzimage" (to create a disk copy of the kernel) I get
> the message:

Shouldn't be "make bzImage" (note the capital I) ?

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: AOL
Date: 6 Jun 2001 14:11:54 GMT

"David Emmett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I believe AOL does not support Linux (at least in Australia).

How it this possible !!
Aren't all the used protocols 'international standards' ?
Are they offered a deal from Micro$oft to make Win$ use compulsory ?

I've also got a freemail account which never connected, and
suspect it's also written for M$ only use !

Can any one confirm this ?

Chris Glur.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb)
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:21:53 -0000

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 06:42:02 GMT, M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>No, that's just plain wrong.

    No, it is not, it is a choice.

>It is NOT our job to make sure our email addresses don't get on
>everyone's marketing lists. It is our job to stop spamming by
>stopping the spam sources and the spammers.

    It is not a job, either way, unless you happen to be a postmaster for some
domain.

>I will definitely not jump through any hoops (may they be as
>tricky or easy-to-be-spotted as possible) to get a mail through.

    That is fine.  That is your choice as well.

>I will not munge my address just because sneaky spammers may
>collect it. They send me spam, I get their accounts nuked.

    Again, your choice.

>Pointless. I don't use ICQ nor any other messenger service, as they all
>are plain security risks.

    Which doesn't mean you can't use the easily accessable interface to send
one message from a WEB PAGE.  Oh, did you conveniently forget to read that
part?

>Not to mention the fact that I will certainly not go online just for to hunt
>for your email address - unless you pay me for doing so.

    Which I am not.  Not did I, or most other people, ask for email in the
first place?  Or did you also forget that this thread was started because
someone was complaining that he couldn't send mail to people that never asked
for it in the first place?

===============================+=============================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LFessen106)
Date: 06 Jun 2001 14:24:46 GMT

>I would wipe it completely, saving only my home directory, and only
>the files that I know I wrote (no scripts, no .bash_profile etc.).
>Thinking "it's safe" is worst that thinking "isn't safe"...
>
>...but maybe I'm only a real cynical bastard...
>
>Davide

I am pretty cynical as well, and normally do a complete reinstall, however,
since this is just a workstation at home and by no means a "mission critical"
machine I wondered if i could just get away with replacing the binaries and
start-up/config scripts.
-Linc

------------------------------

From: "Multi User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux gaming Question Next Step
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:27:06 GMT

OK, I managed to get the server installed. I didn't know about loading
maps - thought that would happen automatically, but haven't had experience
reading server consoles.

I pasted my output below. Yes, my internal NW is 192.168.20.0.

You can see where I loaded "map q3dm1". And you can see where I connected
from my Windows machine, but it timed out immediately. Also, If I scan for
servers, Q3A doesn't see it, I have to specify to connect even temporarily.

And finally, how do I upgrade this to the full game with all maps and the
latest point release?

I'm cable linked and I really want to get this thing up and running. I have
an AMD K6-2/550 I want to set up as a permanent Internet server once I can
figure all of this out.

======================

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 6 Jun 2001 14:29:05 GMT

Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No, both machines are on the LAN behind the firewall. Is it possible
> RedHat is setting up its own firewall and not allowing telnet access
> from a remote computer?

Yes.  In fact, it's likely.  Check 'chkconfig --list'.  Is ipchains on?
Then, look in /etc/sysconfig/ipchains.  Those are the firewall rules
being applied.  I'm not sure how you installed RedHat, but when I've
done it the default firewall rules deny access on all priviledged ports.
You need to allow access to the appropriate ports from your clients.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: "Wayne Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need a really small distro for an old puter
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:46:45 +0800
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,aus.computers.linux

In article <QMgS6.13626$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Missy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a PS/2 56 or 57 made in 1992 with OS/2 currently on it. I know
> nothing about OS/2, nor really want it. I got this puter to put Linux on
> and tinker with it without destroying my parents puter. lol Does anyone
> have suggestions of what distro to put on it? It has a 216MB hard drive
> and 8MB of RAM, a floppy drive, and a 'cd-rom reader with a caddy' that
> I've yet to install. Thanks!
>
> Missy

SHeeks, I remeber them.... Does Linux support Microchannel????

--
  Wayne A. Osborn, SCADA Engineer.[dnar AT iinet DOT net DOT au]
  Registered Linux User #212818.  [2.2.16-22-Win4Lin-686] [i686]

------------------------------

From: "Wayne Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Num Lock
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:50:43 +0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Thomas Zajic"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 05/06/01, Wayne Osborn ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>> Were did you get numlockx from ???
>
> <http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=numlock>, for example. ;-)
>
> HTH,
> Thomas