Linux-Misc Digest #82, Volume #27                Sun, 11 Feb 01 15:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: the best? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IP Masquerade ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  KDE2 prob: libkdecore.so.3 and symbols(?) (Kyle Parfrey)
  Consensys RAIDZONE SmartCan RAID Array (Alexei V klimenko)
  Re: A Beginner Asks About Linux (John Hasler)
  Gimp-Print ("N. Emons")
  Re: netscape lock file (James Silverton)
  Re: netscape lock file (Robert Heller)
  Re: KDE2 prob: libkdecore.so.3 and symbols(?) (Markus Kossmann)
  3D (or 2D) Animation program? (Carl Fink)
  Simple fax program (Eric Ho)
  Simple fax program (Eric Ho)
  Re: KDE2 prob: libkdecore.so.3 and symbols(?) (Kyle Parfrey)
  Re: very basic basic newbie question ("Jack Altradmon")
  SONY GDM-1952 MONITOR(fixed-freq) ("Robert H. Williams")
  Re: Optimize for Speed? ("Donald Donovan")
  Re: I need software recommendations: ("Bill Piety")
  Re: Simple fax program ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 3D (or 2D) Animation program? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: netscape lock file (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Trying to Understand hdparm a Little Better (Yvan Loranger)
  init_module: device or resource busy (Fester)
  Re: Gimp-Print (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Trouble with via ac97 sound (Peter Petersen)
  Maxtor ATA/100 controller (Ryan)
  Re: Trouble with via ac97 sound (Peter Petersen)
  Re: A Beginner Asks About Linux (Mark Bratcher)
  wanna buy a $200 Linux computer? (NetVAR)
  Re: Full-featured, reliable POP-mail client for Linux? (Meik Brand)
  crash because SCSI device is off?? (Claus Atzenbeck)
  Re: Linux not free anymore? (steve)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: the best?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 13:32:18 +0000

news.baylor.edu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> I am sure you all get this question all the time, but I have to ask because
> I have not been able to decide myself

> Which distribution of Linux is your favorite?

> Debian? RedHat? Corel? ....

I don't think you'll get many people with Corel as their favourite...
SuSE for me.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IP Masquerade ?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:29:24 GMT

Eric Chow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Would you please to teach me how to setup IP-Masquerade in Linux ?
> Would you please to teach me step by step ?

Make sure that you installed the documentation when you installed
Linux, then:

jbuchana@flenser$ cd /usr/doc
jbuchana@flenser$ find . -print | grep -i masq

You should find lots of info.

> And also, how can my Modem automatic to dialup when Linux start ?
> Would you please to show me a script to do this with auto login ?

Even better:

jbuchana@flenser$ pwd
/usr/doc
jbuchana@flenser$ find . -print | grep -i diald
./HOWTO/HTML/en/mini/Diald.html
jbuchana@flenser$

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Since you're already familiar with deja.com, try perching for these
topics as well. Lots of good posts in the past.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

------------------------------

From: Kyle Parfrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE2 prob: libkdecore.so.3 and symbols(?)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:40:25 GMT

Hello all,
I have installed kde2.01 on a debian 2.2 system, which ran fine, but now
refuses to load. I get the following error message:
"/usr/lib/libkdecore.so.3 : undefined symbol :
getButtonShift_14QPlatinumStyle RiT1 "
from ksplash, kdeinit, knotify and a few others.
I had recently installed licq and the qt plugin, but it still doesn't
work upon removal of these. I also reinstalled kdelibs3 (the libary's
package) but it again didn't work.

Anyone know how to get kde to load again? How did this happen in the
first place?

Thanks,
Kyle

------------------------------

From: Alexei V klimenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Consensys RAIDZONE SmartCan RAID Array
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:40:51 GMT

Hi!

I did not ever expect to encounter a problem
of some hardware not to be supported by Linux
but it looks like this day had come.

I tried several different kernels with several
different patches and I still can't make 'subj'
work.

I really need some help here.

I saw the information, that there exist patches
only for 2.2.5. 2.2.13 and 2.2.16 but I never
found the patches themselve.

May be it should be supported by 2.4.1 already,
cause there is RAID support included. The only
problems is that there is no module for the
RAIDZONE SmartCan disk array controller itself
and I have no idea where to get it.

www.raidzone.com must be runned by sales department
and therefore totally useless.

--
BW,
  ak

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Beginner Asks About Linux
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 13:52:41 GMT

Vladimir Florinski writes:
> glibc changes so rapidly that user software compiled a year ago will
> likely not run with your new libc.

It doesn't need to.  You can have multiple versions of libc (or any other
library) installed, and decent distributions provide old versions nicely
packaged.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:49:32 +0100
From: "N. Emons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gimp-Print

I am using SuSE 6.3 and Gimp 1.1.11
I want to compile Gimp-Print 4.1.0
I get a compile error, /usr/include/libgimp not found
I have no idea how to link it???

------------------------------

From: James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape lock file
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:30:25 -0500

Eric Wertman wrote:

> All-
>
> Netscape continues to complain about a $HOME/.netscape/lock file, when
> no such file exists.  Anyone seen this and know the answer?  Thanks!
>
> Eric Wertman

In my experience, it is usually caused by attempting to have more than
one instance of Netscape open at the same time. I have even managed it
by accidentally double-clicking the Netscape item in KDE!

Jim
--
James V.  Silverton
Potomac, Maryland.

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Feb 2001 10:38:31 -0600

  James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:30:25 -0500, wrote :

JS> Eric Wertman wrote:
JS> >
JS> > All-
JS> >
JS> > Netscape continues to complain about a $HOME/.netscape/lock file, when
JS> > no such file exists.  Anyone seen this and know the answer?  Thanks!

The Netscape lock file is a symbolic link to nowhere -- depending on how
you look at this file, you might get a 'file not found' error, even if
the symlink is in fact there.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION **
             http://www.nuthinbutnews.com

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE2 prob: libkdecore.so.3 and symbols(?)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:35:35 +0100

Kyle Parfrey wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have installed kde2.01 on a debian 2.2 system, which ran fine, but now
> refuses to load. I get the following error message:
> "/usr/lib/libkdecore.so.3 : undefined symbol :
> getButtonShift_14QPlatinumStyle RiT1 "

That's a symbol from libqt. So check again what version of libqt is used
( "ldd /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.3" will list the used libqt )

--
Markus Kossmann

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: 3D (or 2D) Animation program?
Date: 11 Feb 2001 17:39:06 GMT

I'm looking for a Linux program to create animations, either 2D or 3D
or both.  The first would be comparable to Flash, the second to Adobe
Aftereffects or something.

I've found Blender, but it's extremely complex, non-free, and comes
with no docs.  I've looked at Egon, but it's apparently
non-functional, has the user interface of a 1970s amateur program,
and also comes with no docs.  Behemot seems to be mainly a 3D
rendering program.  It *does* come with docs, but the documentation
doesn't even mention animation.

I did Freshmeat and Deja searches before posting this.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Simple fax program
Date: 11 Feb 2001 17:39:14 GMT

Hi,

I am looking for a fax program that can simply send/receive faxes.
I have looked at Hylafax, but it seems to be an overkill.
Could someone suggest other packages that is EASY to configure
and use ?
I am running Slackware if that matters.

Thanks a million.

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

------------------------------

From: Kyle Parfrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:43:12 GMT

The line from ldd is :
libqt.so.2 => /usr/lib/libqt.so.2 (0x40332000)

That file does exist in /usr/lib.
How can I correct the problem??
Kyle

From: "Jack Altradmon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: very basic basic newbie question
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:46:22 GMT

John...

I tried mouseconfig and it seemed to do the trick.

However, I've just run sndconfig to get the sound card working, which it
did, but the mouse has stopped working again!!  Even re-running mouseconfig
again won't restore it...

Any ideas ?

Jack

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Robert H. Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SONY GDM-1952 MONITOR(fixed-freq)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:57:49 -0500

Hello All in the 'sPace'.....
I am using a Sony GDM-1952 "fixed-frequency" monitor rescued from an old
workstation going to the dump.  It works fine in windoze with the help of
excellent shareware 'POWERSTRIP" from EnTech Taiwan.  I've read as much as I
can understand (*newbie* : ]  ) on modelines and framebuffers and now I'm
really confused.  Can someone help me compute these modelines *and* tell me
if I'll need the modelines and the framebuffer info??

Tech stuff:  Monitor  -----  1024x768@60Hz
                                        48.78khz  horiz scan

Distro:        SuSE v 6.3 (6-CD'S)

video card:    SiS 6326 w/8MB

MUCH more tech stuff on monitor and video card if needed.
TIA!
robert

------------------------------

From: "Donald Donovan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Optimize for Speed?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:41:11 GMT

i wrote it at 4:30 in the morning, i was more concerned about making sure i
was writing it in english then making sure it was accurate =)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Bill Piety" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need software recommendations:
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:46:30 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "*Rotten_168*"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> for:
>
> A decent GUI-based mail/newsreader (as in all-in-one) like
> Outlook/Netmail/Agent for Linux. I've used the Mozilla and Netscape ones
> and I'm kinda' disappointed. I tried Pan but the dependencies thing was
> ridiculous (I needed glibc.whatever and for that I needed gtk++.whatever
> and for that I needed... well you get the picture).
>
> A decent browser. NS and Mozilla are about as stable as Mike Tyson.
> Mozilla .7 in particular likes to close every instance of the program
> when I close just one. And Mozilla based browsers don't really render
> HTML as good as IE.

Probably the closest you'll get to the above apps are going to be under
Helix (Ximian) Gnome. Evolution's got the 'look' of Outlook and the basic
functionality, ie Calendar, Contacts & Mail, with filters and Pilot
conduits. In order to get ximian up and running,  you'll end up with libs
you need for Pan - the newest version 0.9.3 is finally approaching Agent,
which I've been running under codeweavers' wine rpm. If you've got the HD
space & inclination, it's worth the effort.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Simple fax program
Date: 11 Feb 2001 10:47:47 -0800

Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a fax program that can simply send/receive faxes.
> I have looked at Hylafax, but it seems to be an overkill.
> Could someone suggest other packages that is EASY to configure
> and use ?
> I am running Slackware if that matters.
>
> Thanks a million.
>
> Best Regards,
> Eric Ho

efax perhaps?  That's what I've used whenever I did any faxing, but it's
been quite awhile.  The interface is rather primitive as I recall.  I use
slackware myself mostly.  The last time I used it, I remember I had to
drag out my old 19K baud modem because it didn't seem to use the proper
commands for my 56K sportster, but it's probably been updated since then.
--
Replace ragwind.localdomain with rahul for a working email address

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 3D (or 2D) Animation program?
Date: 11 Feb 2001 10:51:35 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink) writes:

> I'm looking for a Linux program to create animations, either 2D or 3D
> or both.  The first would be comparable to Flash, the second to Adobe
> Aftereffects or something.
>
> I've found Blender, but it's extremely complex, non-free, and comes
> with no docs.  I've looked at Egon, but it's apparently
> non-functional, has the user interface of a 1970s amateur program,
> and also comes with no docs.  Behemot seems to be mainly a 3D
> rendering program.  It *does* come with docs, but the documentation
> doesn't even mention animation.
   ...snip...
There was an article on slashdot recently about a new, GPL'd 3D modeler
and renderer.  The headline said it was currently only for Windows but
that they're working on a Linux and FreeBSD port.  URL is
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/02/10/0340210&mode=thread
if you want to follow up on it.

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:04:31 -0500

James Silverton wrote:

> Eric Wertman wrote:
> >
> > All-
> >
> > Netscape continues to complain about a $HOME/.netscape/lock file, when
> > no such file exists.  Anyone seen this and know the answer?  Thanks!
> >
> > Eric Wertman
>
> In my experience, it is usually caused by attempting to have more than
> one instance of Netscape open at the same time. I have even managed it
> by accidentally double-clicking the Netscape item in KDE!

I do not think so. My sister and I were both logged into this machine at
the same time and we were each running Netscape at the same time. No
problems at all. She was logged in on her account and I on mine, of
course. Linux is a true multi-user multi-programming (and on this
machine, multi-processing as well) operating system, and fortunately
Netscape is smart enough to know it.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: Trying to Understand hdparm a Little Better
Date: 11 Feb 2001 19:09:23 GMT

 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Okay, Ive started playing with hdparm lately, and have gotten some
> definite improvement out of it with -c, -d, -m, and -u. My current
> hdparm line looks something like this:
>
> hdparm -q -c1 -d1 -m16 -u1 /dev/hda
>
> My motherboard is a 440BX Tyan Tiger 100. Iv got the chipset support
> compiled into the kernel. Apparently, the board supports UDMA/33. So, Im
> wondering, how do the -X options work to kick me up to the next level?

They'll kick you in the nuts if you're unlucky.
See man hdparm for details.
I tried -X 66 which means UDMA mode 2 = UDMA33 & lost a partition.
I have UDMA66 hardware  & don't dare try -X 68 = UDMA mode 4.
-c -m do nothing for me.
hdparm -d1 gives me 24MB/s instead of 4MB/s! I'm happy :)  Though I don't
trust those numbers!
--
Merci.........................Yvan     Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fester)
Subject: init_module: device or resource busy
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:12:21 GMT

I'm attempting to install the linux driver for the Aureal Vortex sound
card, and when I try, it gives me the message:

/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/au8830.o: init_module: device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be cause by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters

I have no idea how to even begin solving this problem. Could somebody
point me in the right direction?

--
-- Fester

"I find it amusing that you addressed me as Jesus."

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gimp-Print
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:40:19 -0600

"N. Emons" wrote:

> I am using SuSE 6.3 and Gimp 1.1.11
> I want to compile Gimp-Print 4.1.0
> I get a compile error, /usr/include/libgimp not found
> I have no idea how to link it???

You are unlikely to be able to compile a current version of
Print with such an early version of the Gimp.  But there are now
relatively up to date rpm packages for current versions of the
Gimp which should include an up to date version of Print.  You
may also have to get corresponding up to date versions of the
gtk packages.

Try the gimp web site and also www.rpmfind.net.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Peter Petersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble with via ac97 sound
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:26:58 +0100

Hi, thanks for answering!

On Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:04:34 GMT, Frederick Bartlett
<fbartlet'ignore@silly'optonline.net> wrote:

>I can't help you -- but I have a similar problem (RH 7.0, "compaq audio
>device" ac'97) and will be interested to see any replies -- no matter
>how many NGs you post to.
>
>The folks at RH, fwiw, told me that they don't/won't support the ac'97,
>since it's one of those windozey things that require serious software
>support in order to function. They suggested that I buy a sound card ...

Well, as I said, sound is possible with this chip (wav, au, mp3, cd
audio, and with a workaround midi as well), so if you are not interested
in quake sound and such things the situation is not that bad...

Regards
Peter Petersen

------------------------------

From: Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Maxtor ATA/100 controller
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:30:04 -0000

Is the Maxtor ATA/100 controller compatible with Redhat 7.0?  I have RH 7
on a the motherboards Ultra/33 controller but I have windows on the Maxtor
ATA/100 controller.  I want to configure lilo boot so it will recognize
the drive on the Maxtor controller.  I would eventually like to move the
drive with Linux over to the Maxtor controller as well. How do I get Linux
to recognize the Maxtor contoller?? I am some what new to linux if anyone
could help me out I would be eternally greatful.

  Thanks
    Ryan

From: Peter Petersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:31:37 +0100

Salut, Jean Pierre!

On Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:02:21 GMT, Jean-Pierre Moreau
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>But in THIS case: MythII can use ESD (Enlightenment Sound ...), and
>ESD can POSSIBLY use ALSA interfaces, from a vague rememberance of
>something read on Internet.

Hmm, but I wouldn't know how this has to be done...

>More generally (possibly you know it): in ALSA doc, there is way to
>make ALSA drivers 'kernel sound (free OSS?)' compatible.

Well, I think that this is so anyway in my case.

>By the way, I am somewhat with you concerning 'lost bandwith on Usenet':
>this is far from abuse.

Thanks, I always wonder how much frustration some people must be
suffering from that they have to post such sweet little attacks ;-)

>Not very definitive answer, but I hope this help,

If you find out something, perhaps even about quake sound, please, let
me know.

Regards
Peter Petersen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:31:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Vladimir Florinski wrote:

>> > subsequently based on RedHat.  RedHat 7.0 had minor bugs here and there,
>>
>> Minor! Being completely binary incompatible with every other linux
>> distro before or after is "minor"!!!
>>

>Well, compatibility isn't a strong side of Linux. Upgrade the kernel, and you
>will likely need to install new modules and software that depends on them; do a
>major kernel upgrade and you need to replace a lot of your system software. And
>glibc changes so rapidly that user software compiled a year ago will likely not
>run with your new libc. I actually think it's a good thing because the
>developers are free to change the OS design, and not worry about compatibility
>issues.

This hasn't been my experience with RedHat unless I do everything with binary
RPMs. If you use binary RPMs exclusively, then you are indeed at the mercy of
whatever configuration they used to build them.

But I have RedHat 6.2 and have upgraded to kernel 2.4.0 and I upgraded nothing else
other than what was suggested in the Changes list.

When I want to install a new program, I've been able to do this often with a
binary RPM (not always even specifically designated for RedHat), or buy downloading
and compiling source. I rarely even get these modules from RedHat distributions.
They all work fine.

So I'm still wondering what is meant by the compatibility issue specific to
RedHat.

--
Mark Bratcher
Director of Software and Electrical Engineering

------------------------------

From: NetVAR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wanna buy a $200 Linux computer?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:52:33 GMT

email me and I'll tell you how to buy.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Meik Brand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc,alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Full-featured, reliable POP-mail client for Linux?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:56:40 +0100

Disco Stu wrote:

> i use pine,
>
> it is quite good.
>
> disco stu.

i vote for kmail 2 it is shipped with kde 2.xx.

give it a chance. very cool programm and stable too!

bye

meik

------------------------------

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: crash because SCSI device is off??
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:55:07 +0100

I have Mandrake 7.2 installed.

I also have a SCSI card with the following SCSI devices on it:
        1 internal CD-ROM writer
        1 external hard drive
        1 external ZIP drive
        1 active terminator at the end of the SCSI line

I need the external SCSI devices just once a week to backup my data. I
don't want to have the hard drive running all the time.

What I am is doing is switching on the hard drive on boot, then unmounting
it and switching it off. (The active terminater still has it's control lamp
on.) I turn on the hard drive and mount it when I want to do a backup.

In the past I had some total really bad system freezes. I couldn't figure
out the reason.

May it be that the turned off SCSI devices may be the reason? Or is this
unlikely?

Thanks for your opinions.
Claus.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve)
Subject: Re: Linux not free anymore?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:01:06 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoffrey Tobin):
>| Steve Withers wrote:

<massive snip>

Hey fellas, this newsgroup is 'bout Linux, uno.. ;)

Whatever.

--
Steve - Toronto ICQ 35454764