Linux-Misc Digest #91, Volume #27                Sun, 11 Feb 01 22:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Telnet Screen Size (Ian Ellis)
  Re: Konqueror speed (Jerry Kreps)
  Re: writing hello world in linux (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: PPP dial spontaneously in middle of night? (Norman Madden)
  SANE troubles (Robert Schweikert)
  Re: wanna buy a $200 Linux computer? (steve)
  A7V onboard ata100 install (Rogue2000)
  Re: Soundcard Configuration (Jim Cochrane)
  Re: netscape lock file (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Newbie Question (Hugh Lawson)
  Re: Newbie Question (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Lock screen password? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Soundcard Configuration ("Kyle C. Smith")
  Re: A Beginner Asks About Linux (Noah Roberts)
  Re: xv_get_sel alike tools for Linux (* Tong *)
  Re: writing hello world in linux (John Hasler)
  Re: A Beginner Asks About Linux (Noah Roberts)
  Re: The "which" command (Noah Roberts)
  Re: crash because SCSI device is off?? (Paul Lew)
  Re: IP Masquerade ? (Noah Roberts)
  Re: stupid mistake (Noah Roberts)
  Re: writing hello world in linux (Noah Roberts)
  Re: writing hello world in linux (Dowe Keller)
  freshmeat's appindex (* Tong *)

From: Ian Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Telnet Screen Size
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:18:42 +0000

Hi,

I'm using my Linux box to Telnet to an ICL mainframe, via a VAX box. My porblem
is that the telnet session only displays 24 lines, whilst the ICL mainframe
uses 25 lines, so one of the lines scrolls off the screen (I can see it by
movin the cursor half way up the screen, but that's a faff).

Does anyone know how to get telnet to display 25 lines (eg. by changing TERM,
termcap etc).

Any assistance is appreciated.

Ian

------------------------------

From: Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: Konqueror speed
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:34:02 -0600

> I have exactly the same problem. Konqueror take a lot longer to
> display pages than Netscape. The platform is IBM's AIX with the
> recently released  'Linux-Toolbox'. I don't want to go and recompile
> the stuuf myself, > > but would like to know if I should expect this
> or if something is wrong.
>
> Markus

Konqueror runs very quickly for me.  Faster than NS.  I am running a
P166 with 64MB and using SuSE 7.0

I stripped all of KDE1 and KDE2 and QT-1.4.x  and Qt-2.x off,
reinstalled Qt-2.2.3 with all graphics compiled in, and then installed
KDE2 only.  Runs very fast and only rarely does any Kapps crash
on me.  Konquer has never crashed. Neither has KMail or KNews (KNode).
JLK

--
"God who gave us life gave us liberty.  And can the liberties of a
nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: writing hello world in linux
Date: 11 Feb 2001 14:13:02 -0900

"Wlliam Bennet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >I have never done c programing and I am only just learning
>> >linux so am a serious amateur.
>>
>> Buy the book 'The C Programming Language (2nd ed.)' by Brian
>> W.  Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie, and follow the
>> instructions. This is the One True Text for C.
>
>Avoid this book if your a beginner, it's more a reference not a
>learning tool.

It is in fact a reference book, but it is *the* reference book
that should be obtained by every beginning C programmer.

And, if said programmer happens to be particularly adept at
learning C, it might be the closest thing to a tutorial ever
needed.  Others may also want to buy two very different
tutorials, just to provide two way of looking at things...  and
universally good advice is to read comp.lang.c for a month or
two, and then ask a few questions there.

A tutorial is something you buy, use once, and throw away.  A
reference book you keep forever.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Norman Madden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: Re: PPP dial spontaneously in middle of night?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:51:43 -0500

John Broadhead wrote:

> The other night I was reading in the other room and suddenly I heard my
> Redhat 7.0 box dial. (I have "demand" in the ppp options file). No one
> was logged into the computer, and none of the computers for which the
> Linux box runs IP Masqerading were turned on. In other words, no
> programs any person wsa suing could have caused it to dial. I ran over
> to run netstat, and there was a single https connection to an IP that
> resolved to some long redhat.com name. What program made this
> connection?
>
> I thought it might be rhnsd, but I can't remember why I thought that. I
> turned it off with ntsysv and stopped it. Since then I haven't heard the
> computer spontaneously dial again, but I'd like to know why the computer
> was making https connections to redhat. Also, what is rhnsd?
>
> -John

It was remote update... I wish mine would do that !

------------------------------

From: Robert Schweikert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SANE troubles
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:55:28 -0500

I just installed the sane backends and all went well, but I am having
trouble installing xsane and sane-frontends. When I try to configure
xsane I get the following message.

checking for sane-config... /usr/local/bin/sane-config
checking for SANE - version >= 1.0.0... no
*** Could not run SANE test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding SANE or finding the wrong
*** version of SANE. If it is not finding SANE, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to
point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if
that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it,
although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
***
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means SANE was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved SANE since it was installed. In the latter
case, you
*** may want to edit the sane-config script: /usr/local/bin/sane-config
checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking for gimp-config... /usr/bin/gimp-config
checking for GIMP - version >= 1.0.0... yes
checking for libgimp/gimp.h... yes
checking for libgimp/gimpfeatures.h... yes
checking for png.h... yes
checking for png_create_info_struct in -lpng... yes
ERROR: SANE-1.0.0 or newer is needed for compiling xsane
     - if you installed SANE as rpm make sure you also included
       sane-devel
But when I run manually I get this:

> /usr/local/bin/sane-config --version
1.0.4

I also set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /usr/local/lib

> echo $LD_LIBARY_PATH
/usr/local/lib

And the libraries are there

> ls /usr/local/lib/*sane*
/usr/local/lib/libsane.a   /usr/local/lib/libsane.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libsane.la  /usr/local/lib/libsane.so.1.0.4
/usr/local/lib/libsane.so

/usr/local/lib/sane:

Does any one have an idea what could be going on here?

My scanner is not yet installed, could that be the problem?

Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         LINUX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve)
Subject: Re: wanna buy a $200 Linux computer?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:22:39 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (NetVAR):
>| email me and I'll tell you how to buy.
>|

>| Sent via Deja.com
>| http://www.deja.com/

why don't you tell us here? Running a scam that's why...

--
Steve - Toronto ICQ 35454764
Powered by Caldera Open Linux

------------------------------

From: Rogue2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A7V onboard ata100 install
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:14:45 GMT

I had a link (disk drive died) that showed me how to install Redhat7 or
mandrake7.2 with the hard drive connected to the onboard ata100 controller.
Could some one please post that link again or tell me how to do it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Cochrane)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Soundcard Configuration
Date: 11 Feb 2001 17:58:31 -0700

Another post or two (c.o.l.hardware) mentioned that you can get aureal
drivers from sourceforge.  You can find that post for the URL or look for
aureal on

http://sourceforge.net/

--
Jim Cochrane

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape lock file
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:09:09 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > James Silverton wrote:
> >> In my experience, it is usually caused by attempting to have more than
> >> one instance of Netscape open at the same time. I have even managed it
> >> by accidentally double-clicking the Netscape item in KDE!
> >>
> > I do not think so. My sister and I were both logged into this machine at
>
> You are quite right.
>
> > the same time and we were each running Netscape at the same time. No
> > problems at all. She was logged in on her account and I on mine, of
> > course. Linux is a true multi-user multi-programming (and on this
> > machine, multi-processing as well) operating system, and fortunately
> > Netscape is smart enough to know it.
>
> It doesn't have to be smart. Quite the opposite, it would have to be
> smarter to know it, and it isn't.

You are right, of course. I now remember setting up Netscape on my
sister's Windows machine so that she, her husband, her son, her
daughter, and I could each keep our stuff separate. You can see the
contortions the Netscape people had to go through to make that work.
Ugh! And even then, you could run only one user at a time because of the
brain-damaged O.S. (W98).

I do not know the facts, but my impression is that Netscape was written
for UNIX and had to be forced, kicking and screaming, into the
Microsoftware environment.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hugh Lawson)
Subject: Re: Newbie Question
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:59:53 GMT

In article <9670jl$kba$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>What is the best way to create an exact copy of a hard drive partition.
>Both the source and destination partitions are ext2fs formatted.

See if this works; it has a built-in failsafe.

1. You are in Linux, in your source partition

2. cd /<top directory of source partition>

3. copy the source to the target

$ cp -ax *  /<top directory of target>
example: cp -ax * /mnt/target  #see man cp

4. Then, edit the fstab file in the target partition to reflect the root
filesystem.

5. rewrite the /etc/lilo.conf file in the source partition to allow
booting of *both* source and target partitions. Run /sbin/lilo.

6. reboot, and see if the target partition boots ok, and works ok.  If it
doesn't you can always go back to the source partition and see what went
wrong.

7. When you are throughly satisfied that the target is ok, you can put the
source partition to other uses.

I've done this several times, and I think I've included the steps.
--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:17:31 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What is the best way to create an exact copy of a hard drive partition.
> Both the source and destination partitions are ext2fs formatted.

Consider:

man cpio

You will want the -p option.

Something like:

find root-of-source-partition | cpio -p root-of-destination-partition

e.g.,

find /home -print | cpio -p /frammis

where frammis is the place where you want the copy to go.

N.B.: I did not try this.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 8:10pm up 14 days, 4:38, 3 users, load average: 1.08, 1.12, 1.14

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Lock screen password?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 01:23:11 GMT

Robert Morelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gnome seems to be working fine in general.  However,  lock
> screen works under KDE,  but not under Gnome.  If I launch
> the lock screen from the Gnome panel,  I can't unlock it with
> my password.  The password prompt appears when I disturb

I've never seen this under Gnome (which I have rarely used), but I
have seen it with KDE, there were two causes, both PAM related. I put
up the cause and solution at:

http://www.buchanan1.net/kde_screensaver.html

I don't know if the cause is the same, but maybe it'll give you some
ideas.

BTW, the first time I ran into this, it was after I set up NIS on my
home network, the second time was at work, and not really related.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

------------------------------

From: "Kyle C. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:28:23 -0500

Found it.

Thanks a lot Jim.

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:09:01 -0800
From: Noah Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Beginner Asks About Linux

Arctic Storm wrote:

> > >2.  Mandrake or Redhat?  Which to get?
> >
> > Niether!  Get Slackware or SuSE....Slackware preferably, but SuSE
> > has rpm....both of the above mentioned distros are garbage (esp RH)
>
> I wonder how RedHat became the most prevalent Linux distribution?
> My understanding is that RedHat was based on SlackWare, and Mandrake was
> subsequently based on RedHat.  RedHat 7.0 had minor bugs here and there,
> but most bugs have been ironed out.  I heard that SlackWare gives you more
> control during installation, which is convenient if you're familiar with
> Linux, but for someone entering Linux fresh, I wonder if that's an
> advantage,...

Actually, if you step outside the set boundaries of labeled setups in the
other distros (ie. Desktop WS or Office Server) then your looking at several
hours checking off individual packages and messing with major dependancy
problems.....with Slackware you choose packages which are more then a single
program but most if not all the requirements.  It is a LOT easier.  The only
time when Slackware is NOT the easiest to install is if you have gigs of
space you don't mind wasting.  Pluss if you use tagfiles you can pretty much
install non-interactively for 80% of the procedure.

------------------------------

From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xv_get_sel alike tools for Linux
Date: 11 Feb 2001 22:20:13 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams) writes:

> The closest thing I found so far is xsel. Apparently it can be used
[...]

> I rarely go there myself. Instead I use their appindex console
[...]

Thanks a lot Marc! The above 2 points are really helpful!

Actually I have been trying to find the "command-line xselection"
program myself many many time. Noticing there were no replies for 2
days I wrote such a program myself (in Tcl/Tk actually). Besides it
launches slowly, it can only get but not set xselection... So you
know how I think this stuff is useful to me now. :-)

I really appreciate your help!

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://members.xoom.com/suntong001/

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:32:48 GMT

Wlliam Bennet writes:
> Avoid this book [The C Programming Language (2nd ed.)] if your a
> beginner, it's more a reference not a learning tool.

Well, I learned C from the 1st edition and found it to be an excellent
text.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:22:19 -0800
From: Noah Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mark Bratcher wrote:

> In article <3a84aefe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >>2.  Mandrake or Redhat?  Which to get?
> >
> >Niether!  Get Slackware or SuSE....Slackware preferably, but SuSE
> >has rpm....both of the above mentioned distros are garbage (esp RH)
> >

> Could you elaborate on why you believe RedHat is garbage?
> I'm not being critical, I really do want to know why you have that
> opinion.

Well, just for an example of tipical RedHat.....

In the Unix Admin class at the college we split into two groups, one got to choose
between SCO and RedHat, the other got stuck with whatever was left.  Now SCO takes
hours to install, for some reason disk access seems incredibly slow during the
procedure.  So when the other team got to choose the decided on RH.....

I am not sure if the ever DID get it installed....we got SCO installed in a day,
had the user environment all configured and everything within 2.....they where
still trying to get it to complete the install a week later, kept freezing.

Example 2: it is the only distro I know of that doesn't create a whatis DB during
the install.....thats just silly and it shows a lack of proffensionalism since the
system is incomplete without it.

I don't know about binary compatability...what I do know is that RH has the
messiest distro out there, and of course any based on it (ie. Mandrake) are also
all fucked up.  They are incredibly unstable since they base their system on
bleeding edge Alpha software, the system is almost entirely unsuitable for
anything.

Its just generally an ugly crappy system, Linux can be much better.

> I've been running RedHat for a few versions now and find it to
> be easy to use, easy to configure, and there is lots of help availble
> for it on newsgroups since so many people use it.

Well, I'll bet you chose to install one of the preset installs....otherwise you
spent a lot of time installing it.....and your also lucky to have such a nice time
of it.  However, I will say with certainty that if you haven't tried Slackware
then you have no idea how wonderful linux can be.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:27:44 -0800
From: Noah Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The "which" command

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>         What package contains the "which" command? I did a Linux From
> Scratch install, and it wasn't included. And I can't do a web search for
> it because Google rejects the word "which" because it's so common. Very
> frustrating.

Since your installing linux from scratch I will place a bet that you do NOT
want to install a RH rpm.....

The source for which and many of the linux commands is at
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu

Good luck.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Subject: Re: crash because SCSI device is off??
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 02:33:10 GMT

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have Mandrake 7.2 installed.
>
>I also have a SCSI card with the following SCSI devices on it:
>        1 internal CD-ROM writer
>        1 external hard drive
>        1 external ZIP drive
>        1 active terminator at the end of the SCSI line
>
>I need the external SCSI devices just once a week to backup my data. I
>don't want to have the hard drive running all the time.
>
>What I am is doing is switching on the hard drive on boot, then unmounting
>it and switching it off. (The active terminater still has it's control lamp
>on.) I turn on the hard drive and mount it when I want to do a backup.
>
>In the past I had some total really bad system freezes. I couldn't figure
>out the reason.
>
>May it be that the turned off SCSI devices may be the reason? Or is this
>unlikely?
>
>Thanks for your opinions.
>Claus.

Very unlikely as I have my scsi tape, cdwriter and scanner turned off until
needed.  Perhaps something in your OS wants to access the harddrive for
whatever reason?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:33:15 -0800
From: Noah Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masquerade ?

Eric Chow wrote:

> Heello,
>
> Would you please to teach me how to setup IP-Masquerade in Linux ?
> Would you please to teach me step by step ?
>
> And also, how can my Modem automatic to dialup when Linux start ?
> Would you please to show me a script to do this with auto login ?

Step by step instuctions are in the IP-Masquerade-HOWTO at
www.linuxdoc.org

It is very easy, I got it on the first try....if you do not understand
IP networking you will need to also read the Network Administrators
Guide at the same URL....or buy it from Orielly.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:35:07 -0800
From: Noah Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: stupid mistake

olliecat wrote:

> I'm running RH 7.0 and stupidly overlayed my libc with garbage this
> morning locking up everything.  When I boot in rescue mode I have no
> hd's in /dev so I can't mount my drive to fix it.  When I do a regular
> boot I get 'init: error in loading shared libraries' citing libc.so.6. I
> really want to avoid reinstalling.
>
> Is there a way to at least get my hard drive mounted so I can recover
> the libc file so I can boot again w/o having to reinstall?  Can the
> rescue disk help me in doing this?

Don't know, but the Slackware install disks would.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:36:20 -0800
From: Noah Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

John Hasler wrote:

> Wlliam Bennet writes:
> > Avoid this book [The C Programming Language (2nd ed.)] if your a
> > beginner, it's more a reference not a learning tool.
>
> Well, I learned C from the 1st edition and found it to be an excellent
> text.

Yes, the k&r books describe C much better then anything else I have read.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Date: 11 Feb 2001 18:47:03 -0800

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:32:48 GMT, John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Wlliam Bennet writes:
>> Avoid this book [The C Programming Language (2nd ed.)] if your a
>> beginner, it's more a reference not a learning tool.
>
>Well, I learned C from the 1st edition and found it to be an excellent
>text.

I have the 2nd ed. and find it to be one of the few computer books that
I have read that is *both* a good tutorial, *and* a good reference.  I
like the frequent exercises.  But everyone has different needs.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.sierratel.com/dowe
---

------------------------------

From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: freshmeat's appindex
Date: 11 Feb 2001 23:08:55 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams) writes:

> >BTW, I hate the freshmeat's new interface though. last time I search
> >for ical but I got tons of hits but none of them is ical. :-) Try it
> >and you'll know.
> >
> I rarely go there myself. Instead I use their appindex console
> program and download the appindex.db periodically.
> This way I get to search for programs without dealing with the web,
> and their interface.
> It will also search an LSM database.
> Nifty little program.
>
>   http://www.penguin.cz/~mhi/appindex/

Well, how can I use it?

I tried appindex the window just flashed then appindex was
finished. Isn't it supposed to show something?

Then I managed to

- download the db to /var/lib/appindex/appindex.db.bz2
- create a link in my ~/.appindex.db.bz2
- rebuild from source

But nothing can bring out the browse window... Please help. thanks!