From: "bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Desktop Environments
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:12:16 -0600

"Tyron Washington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> [1] What is the relationship between GNOME and the desktop environments
> featured on themes.org (afterstep, blackbox, enlightenment, fvwm, gtk+,
> icewm, kde, litestep, sawfish & wm)? Or is GNOME just another desktop
> environment?

an interesting question that was asked of me at work last week. one thing
gnome is NOT, is a window manager. currently, its preferred wm is sawfish,
but it runs on top of several others. the gnome.org site has a compatibilty
list.

for instance, I recently got the newest gnome distro and set it up at home
using sawfish. the base functionality was sawfish; i.e. to move from
workspace to workspace, setup shortcuts, and so forth, you actually
configure sawfish.

when I upgraded at work, however, i had issues with sawfish locking up, so i
used icewm. again, the basic configuration is icewm and that is where much
of the functional configuration takes place. in fact, when the gnome panel
is hidden, icewm's appears, and one is using icewm's menus and so forth.

Most of the wm's provide quite a bit of functionality. I've used fvwm2 by
itself for a long time, for instance, running the occasional gnome app. KDE
provides its own wm, and suite of apps, but can also run gnome apps.

So, i guess i'd have to say gnome is just a set of related apps, which may
(hopefully) be linked up with CORBA, and a developement environment based on
gtk+. the problem is I don't use many of these apps. nautilus, and the
underlying mozilla are real slugs on a less than leading edge machine. i
seldom have use for a word processor or office suite like abi. frankly, if i
have to deal with Word docs, I just slide over to the Windows machine. I've
never used a spreadsheet, from the days of SuperCalc to now, so gnumeric
doesn't do much for me.

So, if I say i'm running gnome, as opposed to fvwm2 or kde. what exactly
does that mean? as i said, a good question. after I hemmed and hawed for a
while, my co-worker said, "if you can't explain it to a professional
programmer, just how do you intend to explain it to a newbie?"

I guess at the end of the day, gnome is an ambitious 'vision'. On a windows
box, one pretty much can walk up to any one and find their way around,
though installed apps may differ. On Linux, walking up to someone else's box
can be an adventure, usually culminating in the question, "OK, how the hell
do I get an xterm up?"

------------------------------

From: Alan Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Kwrite for Gnome?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 16:24:20 +0100

You could also try Jext from http://www.sourceforge.net
If handles a great deal of different languages and colourises them all for
you.

Alan

------------------------------

From: MrEye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: tulip driver
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:36:47 -0400

I have RH7.1 installed. I also installed using the rpm, the kernel for
RH7.0, so that I can run win4lin. But in the RH7.0 kernel it does not
rcognize my ethernet card or load the 'tulip' module. Here is the result
of the moprobe command --

[root@localhost irlapati]# modprobe tulip
/lib/modules/2.2.17-14/net/tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.2.17-14/net/tulip.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.17-14/net/tulip.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.17-14/net/tulip.o: insmod tulip failed
[root@localhost irlapati]#

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and hwo to correct to.
Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: Jesper Petersen <jesperp**Delete**@nork.auc.dk>
Subject: Start bash along with X
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:46:16 +0200

Hi!

How do I make bash start automatically when I start X?

Thanks
Jesper

------------------------------

From: David Grogan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setuid troubles w/ Mandrake 8.0
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:47:39 -0400

I'm trying to make it so that any user can start a dial-up connection
and any user can disconnect.  I have it so that any user can start a
connection, but the problem is when root starts the connection, a user
doesn't have permission to kill the process.  Here is the relevant info,
I'd really appreciate if someone could let me know what I'm doing wrong.

ps aux |grep pppd:
root      2988  0.0  1.4  1860  888 pts/0    S    18:01   0:00 /usr/sbin/pppd -d

ls -l /usr/bin/hangup:
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root           12 May 22 00:21 /usr/bin/hangup

cat /usr/bin/hangup:
killall pppd

localhost:~$ /usr/bin/hangup
pppd(2988): Operation not permitted
pppd: no process killed

------------------------------

From: Jesper Petersen <jesperp**Delete**@nork.auc.dk>
Subject: Re: Start bash along with X
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:52:54 +0200

>Hi!
>
>How do I make bash start automatically when I start X?
>
>Thanks
>Jesper

Sorry forgot to tell it's in Mandrake 8.0.

Jesper

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:59:20 +0200

Jesper Petersen <jesperp**Delete**@nork.auc.dk> wrote:
> How do I make bash start automatically when I start X?

You don't mean that.

"bash" is a shell language. It runs all the time in your computer,
in lots and lots of different processes. It certainly runs when you
start X, because the initrc and xdm scripts are shell scripts.

What are you really asking?

Maybe: "how do I make bash my login shell"? Or "how do I get xterms
to run my login shell"?

From: "Scsi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Who to install a .gz.tar file?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:08:55 -0400

Yeah ... why should I be penalized through levied taxes and taxation because
someone else downloads copyrighted materials? Too much government = slavery.
Down here in the US the government = big business and we have all become
robots and slaves to a group of captialist and greedy folks. Uh ... not all
of us but 90% perhaps. So blind.

Scsi2

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Wilkins)
Subject: gdb warning
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 16:14:10 GMT

Hi all,

When i run gdb, I get warning: unable to find dynamic linker
breakpoint function.
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers and track
explicitly loaded dynamic code.

I have installed the latest gdb and gcc.

Minimally, to duplicate this error, I compile with:
g++ -g test.cpp

Then to debug, I run:
gdb a.out

In the debugger when I try to run, is when I get the error.

Anybody care to point out what the cause of this is ?

Thanks in advance for a prompt reply.

Best regards,
Charles Wilkins

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Date: 28 May 2001 16:18:02 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Jesper Petersen <jesperp**Delete**@nork.auc.dk> wrote:
>> How do I make bash start automatically when I start X?
>
> You don't mean that.
> "bash" is a shell language. It runs all the time in your computer,
> in lots and lots of different processes. It certainly runs when you
> start X, because the initrc and xdm scripts are shell scripts.
> What are you really asking?
> Maybe: "how do I make bash my login shell"? Or "how do I get xterms
> to run my login shell"?

Maybe: "how do I make a bash shell/xterm start auto when I start X?"

--
Merci........Yvan          Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
                               http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Hood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Button Graphics in X...
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 16:19:14 GMT

I just reinstalled RedHat 6.2 on a laptop trying to save space... and
installed the basic fwmn window manager, as well as icewm, and -tried- to
cut out all of the unnesscary packages...  fwmn looks fine, but icewm has
all of the buttons showing as either black or streaked...  also, gvim 5.7
has the same problem... other apps seem to be fine...

I am thinking that I must have missed a graphics lib or something...
does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be... ???  All of the
buttons actually work fine, but it is just the graphics that are
missing...

Thanks in advance...

JH

--

Jeffrey Hood
HM Consulting, Inc.
jhood [you-know-why] at hmcon.com

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "export" problems
Date: 28 May 2001 19:05:07 +0300

Joe Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I've recently installed QT into /usr/local/qt
>
> $QTDIR points to /ust/lib/qt
>
> How do I change it? /etc/profile contains no reference to it.

See if you have file /etc/profile.d/qt.sh

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP Question RH 7.1
Date: 28 May 2001 19:00:49 +0300

Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Did I say anything about expecting anyone to reboot?  I told the OP how to
> make the change permanent.

chkconfig _does_ make a permanent change in the configuration, without
any manual editing.

> If you had
> paid the least attention, you would have seen the instruction to effect the
> change RIGHT NOW.

If you had paid a little more attention you would have seen that I
gave instructions for BOTH starting the service immediately (service
... start) AND making the change permanent (chkconfig ... on)

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 May 2001 19:02:55 +0300

"Chiz1206" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Can't you also turn it on using Linuxconf?

RH 7.1 doesn't install Linuxconf by default, but if you have it
installed you can use it as well.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: william <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 16:30:12 -0000

Christopher Fairbairn wrote:

> william wrote:
>
> > Does anyone out there know of a linux that is not made for nerds and
> > geeks? I've trying for a month to install corel and as a last resort
> > zipslack.
>
> What's wrong, what error message are you seeing? What doesn't work? How
far
> do you get?
> Hi Christopher: Thank you for your reply.  You are right on all counts.
I was looking for a car that I could get in and drive it, without opening t
hood and tuning up the car,putting in oil,sparkplugs,and every else to
get the car going.

I have 2 comp's. One is my good one and the other is a IBM thinkpad 500
which I have had since 1993. It has 12mb ram,810 mb HD. On this machine I
I have installed win3.1 then upgraded to win95 and I have not had one bit
of problem with it. I thought I would have some fun and install Linux os on
it. It has been a disaster.

I have corel 2nd edition CD. When I try to run it, a message comes up and
says it can't run in DOS mode. I made a boot disk(boot1440.img) and
when I run the floppy, it says  the same thing "this does not run in DOS
mode".
I reformatted my HD and installed just DOS. and I still can't get anything.
I download zipslack.zip on my other machine on a zip disk and tried to
install it on my thinkpad, and that wasn't any better.
But I'm not giving up.
Thanks

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlie Coats)
Crossposted-To: redhat.general,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Date: 28 May 2001 06:23:53 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sean  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Check out nedit. ( http://www.nedit.org/ )  It is not written
> specifically for Gnome, but will work fine under it.

Agreed.

nedit is now GPL'ed OpenSource. (it used to be under a more restrictive
license from FermiLab, but they opened it up.)

It has excellent syntax support for all the languages I write in,
and is cross-platform to almost any platform you will want to run
on (even inlcuding Mac and MS).

fwiw

--Carlie Coats
North Carolina Supercomputing Center

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Help, error msg. on boot up
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 16:52:10 GMT

Christopher Albert wrote:

> Lamar Thomas wrote:
> >
> > I am running RH 7.1.  The power went out at my house and my Linux system
> > went down the hard way.  When I started the system back up after the power
> > came back on I got the following error msg.:
> >
> > Checking Root filesystem
> > / contains a file system with errors, check forced
> > /:
> > UNATTACHED inode 24577
> > /: unexpected inconsistency; RUN fsck manually.
> > (i.e., without -a or -p options)
> > *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> > *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> > *** when you leave the shell.
> > Give ROOT password for maintenance
> > (or type Control-D for normal startup):
> >
> > After I type in the ROOT password I get a command prompt saying "filesystem
> > #1".  When I type "fsck" the command prompt changes to "filesystem #2".  I
> > repeated this all the way to "filesystem #250".  That's where I stopped.  As
> > far as I know, it would have gone on forever!
> >
> > When I run the "shutdown -h now" command and restart my system I get the
> > same problem.  Anyone know how I can get my system back up and running?
> > Thanks for any and all help.
> >
> > Lamar
>
> Lamar
>
> Try it with
> #fsck -y /dev/hdxx
>
> where /dev/hdxx corresponds to the partitions that need checking, which
> will give a "yes" answer to all the questions.
>
> Chris

Thanks Chris,

But I didn't know which partition(s) needed checking because the error didn't
tell me.  However, after hours of looking I found this command that checks ALL
partitions:  "#fsck -A -V ; == $? ==".  That worked.  Thanks for your help.

Lamar

------------------------------

From: Stephen J. Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Image Management Software
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:56:33 +0100

Hello all,

I don't know if this is REALLY the right newsgroup but I will try.

I am looking for a piece of software that can manage collections of
images that are stored on removable media. I am thinking that the
thumnails would be stored on a hard drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Stephen.

From: David Grogan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Image Management Software
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:04:06 -0400

Go to freshmeat.net, type thumbnail in the search and you'll get plenty of
choices.  I know that I've seen many implementations of this on freshmeat, so
you should be able to find one that suits your needs and preferences pretty
well.

DG