From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: How do I burn a bootable Linux CD?
Date: 31 May 2001 02:44:08 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001 18:30:08 -0000, Tony staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>I recently bought RedHat Linux 7.1 and I want to make a copy so that my
>friend can play with it. But everytime I try to copy the CDs using Easy
>Creator or Nero, it failed.
>
>First, I can copy the whole CD on my hard disk nut how can I make it
>into a bootable CD?
>
>Second, Is there any CD burning software that can do a raw copy of the
>CDs?

To make a sector-by-sector copy of a CD:
   dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/temp.iso bs=32k
   cdrecord dev=DEVICE speed=SPEED /tmp/temp.iso
...modify DEVICE to point to your CD-RW, and SPEED to the speed your
CD-RW burns at, of course.  This is the simplest way there is.

To make a bootable CD from a collection of files, you need a bootable
floppy disk image.  You pass the name of that image to mkisofs after the
-b option, and you use the -c option as well.  Check the man page for
details, or do as the other poster suggested and look on freshmeat.net
for various CD-writing tools.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: Using TAR
Date: 31 May 2001 02:43:47 GMT

"Herb Stein" ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> "David Douthitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> How about this?
>>
>> ls -1d * | grep -v gallery | xargs tar czvf mytar.tar.gz
>
> Tar can do this by itself. Use:
>
> tar cxvf mytar.tar.gz . --exclude gallery

tar czvf mytar.tar.gz . --exclude gallery
small typo

--
Merci........Yvan          Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
                               http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (busware)
Subject: Re: list of daemons.
Date: 30 May 2001 19:54:30 -0700

thank you.

------------------------------

From: "Fredrick Gethers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: How can I send a page to a mobilecomm pager from a korn shell script?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:55:07 GMT

How can I send a page to a mobilecomm pager from a korn shell script??

I have tried calling a perl script that I found on the internet called
mpage.pl and this works fine from my home computers, which get there
internet access via Windows 2000 Internet Connection sharing.

When I run this same scenario from my Linux machine at work, it fail
complaining that it could not open a socket.  I think this has something to
do with the firewalls in my work environment, but I don't know much about
that sort of thing.  Can someone suggest ways to do what I am attempting to
accomplish.

I have included the source of the perl script in case some can tell me what
to change to get pass my firewalls at work.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

# Simple program to connect to http://www.mobilecomm.com/cgi-bin/wwwpage.exe

# and send a page.

#

# Written by David Allen

# <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

# http://opop.nols.com/

#

# This file is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

# Please see http://www.gnu.org for more details.

#

# REQUIRES MODULES: strict and IO::Socket

#

# USAGE: mpage.pl PAGER_PIN MESSAGE

# Where PAGER_PIN is the PIN of the pager you want to send MESSAGE to.

# You don't need to put quotes around MESSAGE.

#

# *********NOTE************

# If this script doesn't work, make sure that mobilecomm.com is still
running

# wwwpage.exe at http://www.mobilecomm.com/cgi-bin/wwwpage.exe. It may have

# moved, possibly to http://www.arch.com/cgi-bin/wwwpage.exe. If you find

# that this script doesn't work, replace all occurances of mobilecomm's

# URL in the source code with the new URL.

#

# This program will send the page using
www.mobilecom.com/cgi-bin/wwwpage.exe

# and will store the response in LASTRESPONSE.html when the server replies.

#

# If you are looking at this program for examples of code to make it work,

# check out the page{} subroutine below - it is the meat of this program.

##

use strict;

use IO::Socket; # Socket work

my $pagerid = shift;

my $MESSAGE = join(' ', @ARGV);

die "Usage: mpage.pl PAGER_ID words in message\n\n" unless $pagerid;

die "Usage: mpage.pl PAGER_ID words in message\n\n" unless $MESSAGE;

page($pagerid, $MESSAGE);

print "Done.\n";

exit(0);

#############################SUBROUTINES####################################
###

sub page{

my ($name, $text) = @_;

my $TRUNCATED = 0;

my $PAGE = ""; # The text sent to www.mobilecomm.com - appended later.

$pagerid = $name;

print STDERR "Processing pager ID...\n";

# Eliminate everything but numbers from the pager id

$pagerid =~ s/[^0-9]//g;

# Check the pager id length and so on.

if(not $pagerid || (length($pagerid) < 7))

{

die "Bad pager ID number. A pager id number is exactly 7 numbers.\n";

}

die "No message specified.\n" unless $text;

# This is the format of the message we're going to send via the TCP

# socket

# POST /cgi-bin/wwwpage.exe HTTP/1.0

# Accept: */*

#

# PIN=6807659&MSSG=stuff+and+nonsense

print STDERR "Processing text of message...\n";

# A bit of string pre-processing

chomp $text;

my $strdelim = "\r\n"; # At the end of each line.

# Compress the text a bit - eliminate redundant characters - this

# helps a lot for pages that have multiple spaces and so on.

# Some people are going to want to remove this. I just put it in because

# it eliminates generally redundant information and saves space.

$text =~s/\n/ /g; # Linefeeds are spaces

$text =~s/\r//g; # No carriage returns

$text =~s/\s+/ /g; # Multiple whitespace -> one space.

# Did they enter in too much data?

if(length($text)>=200)

{

# Bad user! Bad! Bad!

$TRUNCATED = "True";

$text = substr($text, 0, 199); # 200 Character maximum

}

# Do all of the ugly escaping - basically replace all non-alphanumerics

# with the hex value of the character preceeded by "%"

my $encodedmessage = urlencode($text);

# The length of the request has to be TOTAL QUERY. If it's just

# the length of the string you're sending, it will truncate the

# hell out of the page. So the pager number is length($pagerid)

# of course the length of the message, and add the length of the

# parameter flags, (PIN= and ?MSSG=) and you're done.

my $pagelen = length($encodedmessage) + length("PIN=?MSSG=")+

length($pagerid);

# Build the text we send to the server

# each line ends with $strdelim

$PAGE = "POST /cgi-bin/wwwpage.exe HTTP/1.0$strdelim";

$PAGE .= "User-Agent: Pagent/5.4$strdelim";

$PAGE .= "Accept: */*$strdelim";

$PAGE .= "Content-length: $pagelen$strdelim";

$PAGE .= "Content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded$strdelim";

$PAGE .= "$strdelim";

$PAGE .= "PIN=$pagerid&MSSG=".$encodedmessage;

print STDERR "Sending message...\n";

# Now we send our data.

# Note that this is just quick and dirty, so I'm using a perl module

# to do the network dirty work for me.

my $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new(PeerAddr => 'www.mobilecomm.com',

PeerPort => 'http(80)',

Proto => 'tcp');

# Bail if the connection didn't happen.

die "Cannot create socket : $!" unless $sock;

$sock->autoflush();

$sock->print("$PAGE");

print STDERR "Getting response and saving to LASTRESPONSE.html...\n\n";

my $document = join('', $sock->getlines());

my $y=0;

open(FOO,">LASTREPONSE.html") or $y=1;

print FOO "$document\n" unless $y;

close FOO unless $y;

if($document =~ m/process that pager ID/g)

{

print STDERR "Page not sent. There was an error. See ",

"LASTRESPONSE.html for what the server sent back to me.\n";

exit(0);

} # End if

else

{

$document =~ m/(\d{1,4}) character message out of/g;

my $bytecount = $1;

print STDERR "Page sent successfully to $pagerid. Server read ",

"a message length of $bytecount.\n";

exit(0);

} # End else

} # End sub page

sub urlencode{

my $text = shift;

my $input = $text;

chomp $input;

# Translate all non-letter non-number characters into their %HEX_VAL

# and return that string.

$input =~ s/([^a-zA-Z0-9-_\.\/])/uc sprintf("%%%02x",ord($1))/eg;

$input =~ s/%20/+/g;

return $input;

} # End sub urlencode

------------------------------

From: "Liverpool_fc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: printtool
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:01:12 -0400

hello,
if we change settings in printtool (gui) for printers in rh6.2, they change
back to the original settings.

any suggestions.

thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (busware)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: printtool
Date: 30 May 2001 20:07:25 -0700

thank you. we have rh6.2. we are using the the control panel.

------------------------------

From: Edward Ned Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help me get WIN98 back!!
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 03:40:57 GMT

Yep, I can see how you're unhappy about all that.

Perhaps I've overlooked it, but I'm surprised that nobody's told you how to
fix it.  Every response I've seen so far has said something to the effect
of "That shouldn't have happend" or "Next time, try..."

Here's how to do it:

Somewhere, somehow, you've got to get a boot disk for Win98.  Beware --
There are different versions of Win98, and you have to get a disk that
matches your version.  Lots of times, you can do this by booting from your
Win98 installation CD.  Other times, create a floppy on another computer by
using the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk.

Boot from the Win98 disk, and get to a command prompt.  Type in the command:
A:\> sys c:
If all goes well, it will say "system transfered."
Then, reboot, and if you got the right version of Win98 startup disk,
you're golden.
If you got the wrong version, all bets are off.  Maybe it works, maybe not.
 Maybe stable, maybe not.  You just don't know.

Special note:

fdisk /mbr doesn't make a drive bootable; it zeros the mbr.  You were on
the right track, trying to rewrite the mbr with win98, but you just tried
the wrong command.

gl & hf.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: OT? Is OS-X THE userfriendly Unix?
Date: 31 May 2001 03:25:27 GMT

Reiner Griess ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

[ I don't really care about if X or something else is used. Unfor-
[ tunateley there are too many window-managers based on X that
[ try to copy the Win95/NT/2k interface. Shame on the authors!

I agree, it IS a shame. Right down to having both the "Apply" and "OK"
buttons. "Yeah let's copy it right down to include all the icky stuff"

Granted, it fills the "need" for those households where the rest of the
Linux user's family needs something familiar to their concept of "computers"
...but they didn't have to go all the way, y'know. My $0.02
--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: Edward Ned Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help me get my WIN98 back!
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linus.hardware
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 03:48:46 GMT

Whoops!
fdisk /mbr will get rid of lilo for you, but it won't restore Win98.  fdisk
/mbr zeros the mbr.
The correct command is
sys c:
This copies the system files, and overwrites the mbr too.