From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zhero Man)
Subject: MSFT is right, Caldera says
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:19:46 GMT

Caldera is likely to add a non-GPL licensing mechanism -- most likely
one based on the BSD license -- to its repertoire in the coming
months.

Love, Caldera's CEO, said that Microsoft has raised a valid point in
questioning whether companies can build valid, supportable business
models around the Free Software Foundation's GPL.

http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2717264,00.html

GP
--
La Masse Critique
Rencontrez Néfertiti, Einstein, Tocqueville, etc.

Le sionisme est aujourd'hui aux juifs ce que le nazisme était aux Allemands chrétiens.
http://pages.infinit.net/mcrit/sionisme.html

------------------------------

From: "Sinistar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Shell interface for MP3 jukebox?
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:12:28 GMT

I have a Wyse WY-60 terminal that has gone unused since I acquired it some
time ago, and I'm just now getting around to figuring out a cool use for it.

Well, I think I might have found one.

What I would like to do is use it as an interface to a Linux system that
acts as an MP3 jukebox.  Basically, the Linux system would be connected to
my entertainment center for audio and to my WY-60 via the serial port.
That's all well and good, but I need to find an interface for
playing/cataloging/queuing the MP3's that will translate well to the WY-60.

Does anybody know of any programs that would fit the bill here?  I would
like to have something that is capable of listing and launching the MP3s,
supports use of playlists, and allows basic start/stop/previous track/next
track functionality - pause, fast forward/reverse, and volume control are
not crucial.

Thanks in advance for any help tracking something down!

-- Trav

------------------------------

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shell interface for MP3 jukebox?
Date: 02 Jun 2001 17:15:44 -0500

>> On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:12:28 GMT,
>> "Sinistar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> What I would like to do is use it as an interface to a
> Linux system that acts as an MP3 jukebox.  Basically,
> the Linux system would be connected to my entertainment
> center for audio and to my WY-60 via the serial port.
> That's all well and good, but I need to find an
> interface for playing/cataloging/queuing the MP3's that
> will translate well to the WY-60.

A search of http://freshmeat.net/ for "mp3" returns lots
of matches.  There's quite a few web-based ones, so maybe
you could interface through lynx or w3m?

hth
Just reach into these holes.  I use a carrot.

------------------------------

From: "Sinistar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:22:26 GMT

"Tony Curtis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> A search of http://freshmeat.net/ for "mp3" returns lots
> of matches.  There's quite a few web-based ones, so maybe
> you could interface through lynx or w3m?

Thanks!  I did a search there for "mp3" and "console" and a bunch came back.
MP3Blaster looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Didn't even occur to me to try freshmeat... Bad newbie, BAD! :)

-- Trav

------------------------------

From: "Nolan Rumble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPPd
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 00:24:35 +0200

Hi
I seem to have meny problems with my PPP daemon....one of which is that it
doesn't exist....i've compiled my kernel with ppp support, and yet...it
doesn't seem to work...

Taken from PPP-Howto:
Click on the box next to "Config", then the box on "Networking", then
the box next to "Client tasks". You should see an entry called
"PPP/SLIP/PLIP". Click on that. On the right hand side of Linuxconf,
you should now see a box called "PPP/Slip/Plip configurations". There
should be an area below that, listing existing PPP devices(if any) and
three buttons below that.

now i don't have that in my linuxconf...
is there any way in which i can get it there???

many thanks
Nolan

------------------------------

From: Robert_L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPPd
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:32:30 -0400

Nolan Rumble wrote:

> Hi
> I seem to have meny problems with my PPP daemon....one of which is that it
> doesn't exist....i've compiled my kernel with ppp support, and yet...it
> doesn't seem to work...
>
> Taken from PPP-Howto:
> Click on the box next to "Config", then the box on "Networking", then
> the box next to "Client tasks". You should see an entry called
> "PPP/SLIP/PLIP". Click on that. On the right hand side of Linuxconf,
> you should now see a box called "PPP/Slip/Plip configurations". There
> should be an area below that, listing existing PPP devices(if any) and
> three buttons below that.
>
> now i don't have that in my linuxconf...
> is there any way in which i can get it there???
>
> many thanks
> Nolan

Just a thought, though some else may be of more help.  You can add modules to
linuxconf in control-->linuxconfig management-->modules
Strange you don't have it there, perhaps you didn't install everything from the
cd's you need?
HTH
Robert
--
Registered Linux user #214645
remove spamfree when replying directly

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user
From: Michael Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q: supporting Debian, FSF, EFF, etc.?
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 17:49:47 -0400

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Mark Watson wrote:

> For years, I bought packaged distros from SuSE
> and Caldera (spoiled!), but now I have been
> enjoying getting code directly from Debian's
> web and FTP servers.  What a great, great service!!
>
> Is there a recommended yearly amount of money for
> end users to donate for using Debian's servers, etc.?
> I found the web site for Software in the Public Interest
> (www.spi-inc.org), and sent a check for a few dollars
> in Debian's name, but I was wondering how the finances
> of the Debian project are. Is sending them $5 or $10
> a year being way too cheap? (The value received is much
> higher, but how much money does Debian need to stay
> stable financially?)
>
> I started thinking about supporting Debian, FSF, and EFF
> more seriously this year because:
>
> 1. crash of dot coms (hey, I lost my full time job :-( )
> removed a source of funding to support free software
>
> 2. Microsoft's awful new licensing prices and policies
> (I need to boot W2000 for some consulting jobs, so I am
> am stuck paying the Microsoft tax after W2000 and
> Word 2000 are no longer up to date for servicing
> Windows-based customers, and I need to upgrade; I am
> hoping that my curent Windows setup will hold me
> business-wise for several more years before I need to
> upgrade, or loose business. Ideally, W2000 would be
> the last version of Windows I would ever need!).
>
> 3. What happens if VA Linux goes out of business re: SourceForge?
>
> 4. Worrisome new laws in the US and Europe that affect online
> freedoms; can groups like the EFF (www.eff.org) do enough
> good?
>
> Anyway, no one seems to talk much about donations to keep
> free software sources funded.  I am just curious, for an
> organization like Debian, if the average Debian user donates
> $X a year, all expenses are met;  What is X?  Anyone have
> have a rough idea how many people use each of the Linux distros?
>
> -Mark

I suppose you could look at it a number of ways.  Maybe the easiest
is to figure out the amount that will encourage the most people
to send in the money.  I'm sure there are ways to calculate
that.  I do assume that it's always better for many people
to do a little bit or send in a small amount, than have a handful
of people do all the work or send in all the money.

Of course, one could try to put a real value on the software, but
I suspect that might be quite high.  If people are willing to spend
whatever WIndows costs nowadays (though the cost is often hidden),
shouldn't they be willing to pay the same amount for Linux?  Of course,
while I was willing to spend good money on OS9 (the multitasking OS,
not the latests Mac OS) in years gone by, I find myself losing enthusiasm
for spending large amounts of money for basically what I've bought
before (be it software or hardware;  having spent $500 for my
first printer in 1982, and it was lousy, I can't imagine buying
a printer for more than a few tens of dollars used at this point).

How about a tithe on something?  Hardware would be an obvious choice.
Buy a new system, and send ten percent of it to Debian or wherever.
Or maybe even a smaller percentage.  If you have the money to spend,
then a small percentage is just an incremental increase.  And it
works for people with less money.  I just spent $150 for a used
computer yesterday, and while most would seemingly scoff at it,
it's considerably better than anything I've ever had.  Fifteen dollars
may not be much for Debian or some similar project, yet it does
relfect how much I was willing to spend on a computer to run Linux.

For that matter, tithing what you spend on Linux books might add
a fair amount to the coffers.  A lot of those books can be quite
expensive at this point.

Maybe it doesn't really matter how or how much.  Maybe it's just
important to bring the issue into the public eye, on a regular
basis.  Your post helped to do that.

    Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Holtzman)
Subject: Re: bANNER aDDS
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 23:42:23 GMT

On Thu, 17 May 2001 11:03:56 +0200, Christian Capito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi Earl,
>
>on Thursday 17 May 2001 07:42, Earl Basham quoth:
>
>> i am using bannerfilter for squid which works great but does any one know
>
>Are you using junkbuster (www.junkbuster.com)? Its blockfile is updated on
>a weekly basis.

Where? Not on their site that I could see.

--
Bob Holtzman
to reply by email remove "fake"

------------------------------

From: "Joel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Remote X sessions.
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:34:40 -0500

Hi.  I have Redhat installed on a slow comp, but will soon be installing on
a fast one.  I want the slow computer to log on to the fast one.  What do I
have to do to set this type of thing up?  I know it's possible, but how?
Thanks for your help.

------------------------------

From: "Joel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98,alt.windows-me
Subject: Re: Request for research
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:36:56 -0500

double ditto
news:6QCR6.1934$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Marcin Fusinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Alsa, sblive, bass/treble...
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 01:43:22 +0200

Nick Traxler wrote:

> Actually, I have an SBLive under RH7. I just use
> Creative's own open source driver with no problems. I
> tried using alsa for a while, but could never get it working.
> take a look at:
> http://opensource.creative.com/
> In any case, you're probably better off using the manufacturer's
> driver than a third party driver.

Thanks for the info.
I tried the Creative's driver a couple of months ago - it was fine... (just
as the module from the 2.4.x kernel). The main reason why I asked the
question was the curiosity (it's not as if I had no other options - as far
as I know there are 3 types of drivers available for SBlive: Creative's
own, the one that comes with the kernel and the Alsa package)
Anyway, cheers!

Marcin Fusinski

--
Remove "remove_me_" when re.../ Usuñ "remove_me_" gdy odp...
---

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:41:44 -0500
From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: CD Burning/SCSI emulation with RH 7.1

Hello,

I used to have RH 7.0 running the 2.2 kernel, and then I upgraded to 7.1
with the 2.4 kernel.  Both of my CD drives (IDEs) were working under
/dev/scd0 (the reader 0,0,0) and /dev/scd1 (the burner 0,1,0).  After
the upgrade, kudzu found my CD-ROM drive for some reason and added it to
/etc/hosts even though it was already set under /dev/scd0.  It is no
longer recognized as being SCSI.  My CD burner was left at /dev/scd1 and
is still recognized as a SCSI device, but is now at 0,0,0.  cdrecord's
scanbus option no longer can detect my reader so I can't make disc
copies as easily as I could before.  What should I do?

Adios,
            Pablo

--
=========================
http://www.pablojones.com

------------------------------

From: Aniartia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.kernel.general
Subject: Re: 2GB File size limitation
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 01:25:45 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Aniartia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Wow--impressive! Do you do that with Linux? Using what sort of software?

Fileserver, client, a few intresting drivers & a piece of software that can
play back the 'w64' & 'dms' files*. On the desk linux is also at the core
of the UI & comm's side of things. I'd be guessing at what the exact
tranfer system is but it's something like NFS over SCSI.

* file discriptions:
'w64' is the audio data (like a 64 channel wav file)
'dms' hold the desks state (were the sliders are, what the eq is etc.. )

Ani

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Weird Lilo error (was Re: can't install 2.2.19 kernel)
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 19:39:10 -0500

Lucius Chiaraviglio wrote:

> Raymond Miecznik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>ok, I downloaded the source code, 2.2.19 put it into
>>
>>/usr/src/linux
>>
>>cd /usr/src/linux
>>
>>make mrproper
>>make xconfig
>>make dep
>>make clean
>>make bzImage
>>make modules
>>make modules_install
>>cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz
>>
>>up to this point everything works
>>
>>then I do lilo
>>
>>and I get this error:
>>
>>bash-2.04# lilo
>>Fatal: Map segment is too big.
>>[. . .]
>
> I don't know how to solve your problem, but I have seen the same (or
> almost the same) error message from Lilo when trying to run it under Tom's
> Root Boot Disk (I forget the version number, but it was a May 2001
> release). This error occurs despite having a 125 Mbyte /boot partition as
> /dev/hda1, and occurs with both the version of Lilo supplied on Tom's Root
> Boot Disk and
> that supplied with Red Hat Linux 7.0.  This error goes away if I run Lilo
> under either Red Hat Linux 7.0 or the rescue mode of its installation CD.
> Bizarre . . .  anyone know what this error means, or a more intelligent
> way to fix it?

# cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map

------------------------------

From: "Missy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: 'sngconfig' doesn't work....
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:41:55 GMT

I just installed (after taking a little break from linux :-) the download
version of Mandrake 7.2, and the 'sndconfig' command doesn't work. It tells
that it can't find the command (and I'm doing this logged in as 'root'). I
used this command before with the boxed version of 7.2 and it worked just
fine...am I missing something? Does this command require that a certain rpm
be installed?

Missy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: CD Burning/SCSI emulation with RH 7.1
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:53:48 GMT

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:41:44 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I used to have RH 7.0 running the 2.2 kernel, and then I upgraded to 7.1
>with the 2.4 kernel.  Both of my CD drives (IDEs) were working under
>/dev/scd0 (the reader 0,0,0) and /dev/scd1 (the burner 0,1,0).  After
>the upgrade, kudzu found my CD-ROM drive for some reason and added it to
>/etc/hosts even though it was already set under /dev/scd0.  It is no
>longer recognized as being SCSI.  My CD burner was left at /dev/scd1 and
>is still recognized as a SCSI device, but is now at 0,0,0.  cdrecord's
>scanbus option no longer can detect my reader so I can't make disc
>copies as easily as I could before.  What should I do?

rebuild the kernel with:
scsi cdrom support
generic scsi support
ide-scsi driver

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:56:07 GMT

On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:53:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:41:44 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I used to have RH 7.0 running the 2.2 kernel, and then I upgraded to 7.1
>>with the 2.4 kernel.  Both of my CD drives (IDEs) were working under
>>/dev/scd0 (the reader 0,0,0) and /dev/scd1 (the burner 0,1,0).  After
>>the upgrade, kudzu found my CD-ROM drive for some reason and added it to
>>/etc/hosts even though it was already set under /dev/scd0.  It is no
>>longer recognized as being SCSI.  My CD burner was left at /dev/scd1 and
>>is still recognized as a SCSI device, but is now at 0,0,0.  cdrecord's
>>scanbus option no longer can detect my reader so I can't make disc
>>copies as easily as I could before.  What should I do?
>>

>rebuild the kernel with:
>scsi cdrom support
>generic scsi support
>ide-scsi driver

and of course, put 'append="hd<x>=ide-scsi"' in lilo.conf where /dev/hd<x>
is your ide drive letter for the cdrom.