From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rlogin script
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:56:18 -0500

Tomasz Lukasiak wrote:

> hi,
>
>     i'm sure someone has already done this: i regularly rlogin to
> various machines on my school's network.  what i would like to do is to
> is have a bash script (say rlogin_a) that automatically sends my login
> and password iformation so that i don't have to do it each time i
> rlogin.  does anyone have such a script that they could post?
>
> thanks
>
> tom

use expect
install expect on your system then use something like the following:

#!/usr/bin/expect
source /home/brusso/bin/.passwds
eval spawn telnet phlegm
set timeout 20
expect ogin:
send "root\r"
expect assword:
send "${phlegm-root}\r"
interact

I have lots of these.  I don't keep passwords for systems that have to
be secure,
just stuff on my internal network that I have access to via tcp-wrapped
systems.
The password file is on my workstation that no one else has accounts to.
I then have icons set up in KDE that have the following:

[brusso@smegma applnk]$ cat xterm.kdelnk
# KDE Config File
[KDE Desktop Entry]
SwallowExec=
BinaryPattern=
Name=Xterm
MiniIcon=
Protocols=
MimeType=
Comment=Xterm
Exec=/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm +cm -cr green +dc -j  -ms green -sb -si +sk
-sl 2048 -T "phlegm"  -n "phlegm" -bg Black -fg wheat -fn 8x13 -geom
80x35 -exec phlegm.exp
Icon=chardevice.xpm
TerminalOptions=
Path=
Type=Application
Terminal=0

------------------------------

From: "Ken McCord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: CMI8330 Mini-HOWTO Version 0.05
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:48:20 -0500

Here's an update to the CMI8330 Mini-HOWTO.  It includes an updated version
of the fixcmi program, plus some corrections and notes received from other
users.   Please let me know how I can improve it (Yes, I'll get this on a
web page someday...).

Ken McCord

CMI8330 Mini-HOWTO
Version 0.05
February 13, 1999
Author: Ken McCord ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

This Mini-HOWTO explains how to configure sound from motherboards containing
the CMI8330 chip set.

Disclaimer:

This Mini-HOWTO is an outline of what I needed to do to add sound to my
system.  I assume no responsibility for any damage that may occur from
following the instructions.  Use it at your own risk.

Background:

This Mini-HOWTO was tested on a PC Chips M571 with the CMI8330 chipset.
This chipset has the following capabilities (from the M571 manual):

- SoundBlaster 16/PRO compatible with stereo voice up to 48KHz sampling
rates.
- HRTF 3D Positional Audio Technology
- Windows Sound System 2.0 compatible
- HSP-23 Wavetable Synthesizer
- Full Duplex 16-bit CODEC with filters
- High Quality 3D Sound (On/Off Controllable)
- Auto switch the hardware between Windows Sound System and SoundBlaster 16.
- Stereo Mixer supports analog mixing from CD-Audio.  Line-In supports
digital mixing
  from Voice, FM/Wavetable and digital CD-Audio.
- Supports 44.1K digital audio (SPDIF) in.

The following peripherals were attached to the system at the time of
testing:

Linksys Ether16 NE2000 clone - set to io=0x300 and irq=3
Western Digital Caviar 2540 IDE Hard Drive as Primary IDE Master
Digital Research (Jamicon) ATAPI 32x CD-Rom as Primary IDE Slave
Sanyo 3.5" floppy drive as Primary floppy
32 MB SDRAM

I used RedHat 5.2 (from CheapBytes) to install and configure the system.

NOTE - I haven't tried the 2.2.x kernel series yet and don't expect to for
some time.  I'd rather wait and have it cleaned up first.  If you've gone
ahead and gotten this to work with 2.2.x, drop me a line and I'll include
your notes.

I. Check BIOS and Verify Sound Card Settings

This section is be optional.  I have included it for completeness (and
it's always good to have a driver disk nearly).

Reboot your computer and go into the BIOS setup.  Make sure the 'Onboard
Sound' is enabled.  Save and exit.

Create a driver disk from the installation CD-Rom that came with your
motherboard.

If you do not have the CD-Rom (or may want to use an updated version), you
can download the driver from
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_snd_drv.htm#released-drivers.  I used the file
V4100132.EXE.  This file includes DOS, Win 3.x and Win 95 drivers.  We will
only need to use the DOS drivers.  Download the file and extract to a
temporary directory.  Create a bootable floppy disk to which the DOS files
will be installed.  Run the Install program from the temporary directory.
At the installation screen, for the DOS drivers, use the path 'A:\DOS', and
leave the Windows path blank.  Please note that after installation is
completed, the program will add three lines to your C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT.  You
will want to remove these lines.

Reboot the system, using the floppy disk just created.  At the DOS prompt,
type 'A:\DOS\CMINIT' and press <ENTER>.  Jot down the settings shown on the
screen.  These are the settings on my card:

WSS BASE I/O ADDRESS         530
WSS IRQ CHANNEL          IRQ 11
WSS DMA CHANNEL          DMA 0
VOICE I/O ADDRESS            220
VOICE IRQ CHANNEL        IRQ 5
VOICE DMA CHANNEL        DMA 1
VOICE 16 BIT DMA CHANNEL DMA 5
MPU-401 MIDI DEVICE      DISABLE
MPU-401 I/O ADDRESS          330
MPU-401 IRQ CHANNEL      IRQ 9
GAME PORT I/O ADDRESS    DISABLE
FM(OPL3) I/O ADDRESS     DISABLE

Press <ESC> and select 'save settings and exit'.

At the DOS prompt, type 'A:\DOS\CMTEST' and press <ENTER>.  Press <ENTER> as
necessary to scan for settings.  Select 'output voice' and press <ENTER> to
test for sound output.  Repeat for 'output music'.  If all is working well,
then we're ready to set up Linux!  Press <ESC> to exit.

II. Recompile Linux kernel for sound.

Reboot into (or Install) your favorite Linux distribution.  For this
Mini-HOWTO, I'm using RedHat 5.2 with kernel 2.0.36.  Your settings may be
different with another distribution or kernel version.  Make sure your
system has the 'isapnptools' package.  Information about this package can be
found at http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools.

Recompile the kernel. For the section dealing with sound, I selected the
following options as 'M'odules (everything else in the section as 'N'o):

Sound Card Support
OSS Sound Modules (new for 2.0.36??)
100% Sound Blaster compatibles
Generic OPL2/OPL3 FM synthesizer support
MPU-401 support
Microsoft Sound System

Reboot the system.

III. Configure /etc/isapnp.conf

At a bash prompt, type 'pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf'.

Modify the '/etc/isapnp.conf' file as necessary.  My file is as follows:

#
# CMI8330 /etc/isapnp.conf configuration file
#
(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
#
# Windows Sound System Configuration
#
(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 0
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0530))
(IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
(INT 0 (IRQ 11 (MODE +E)))
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
(ACT Y)
))
#
# MPU-401 Midi Configuration
#
(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 1
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0330))
(INT 0 (IRQ 9 (MODE +E)))
(ACT Y)
))
#
# Soundblaster 16 Configuration
#
(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 3
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
(ACT Y)
))
(WAITFORKEY)

Compare these settings and those in section I to what you found.  Save and
exit.

IV. Modify /etc/conf.modules

Add the following lines to /etc/conf.modules:

alias sound sb
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
options ad1848 io=0x530 irq=11 dma=0,0

Save and exit.

V. Compile the program fixcmi.c

Compile the program fixcmi.c listed below.  Please note the author's
comments.

/***************************************************************/
/*                                                             */
/* Program name: fixcmi.c                                      */
/*                                                             */
/* Simple program to adjust the analog CD-in right and left    */
/* channels of the CMI8330 sound chip                          */
/*                                                             */
/* Author: Luiz T. S. Mendes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])            */
/*                                                             */
/* Version: 1.0                Date: Nov 23, 1998              */
/*                                                             */
/*          1.1                Date: Dec 1, 1998               */
/*                             by Mark W. Vandersteen          */
/*              ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                     */
/*              Added extra support for enabling Line-In,      */
/*              loud, 3d_surround etc                          */
/*                                                             */
/* DISCLAIMER: This software is provided as it is and comes    */
/*             with absolutely NO WARRANTY . Use it at your    */
/*             own risk.                                       */
/*                                                             */
/* NOTES: (1) This program is meant for the people who already */
/*            have their CMI8330-based sound cards working     */
/*            (except for playing audio CDs, of course). This  */
/*            means that the following two steps should have   */
/*            already succeeded on your linux box:             */
/*                                                             */
/*            - installing the proper Linux sound driver;      */
/*            - configuring the CMI8330 sound chip by means    */
/*              of the isapnptools (see the Web site at        */
/*              http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/). */
/*              In this configuration the WSS logical device   */
/*              (logical device 0 in the CMI8330) MUST be      */
/*              included, even if the sound card is to be used */
/*              in the SoundBlaster mode.                      */
/*                                                             */
/*            These steps are fairly documented in the Linux   */
/*            HOWTOs and in the above isapnptools WWW site.    */
/*                                                             */
/*        (2) This program have been tested ONLY in my Linux   */
/*            box (Slackware 3.5, kernel 2.0.34). Though it    */
/*            should work in other configurations, there is    */
/*            no way to guarantee that.                        */
/*                                                             */
/*                                                             */
/* INSTRUCTIONS:                                               */
/*                                                             */
/* 1. Change the definition WSS_BASE to match the CMI8330 WSS  */
/*    I/O base address specified in your /etc/isapnp.conf      */
/*                                                             */
/* 2. Save the file and compile it with                        */
/*                                                             */
/*            $ gcc -o fixcmi -O fixcmi.c                      */
/*                                                             */
/*    (CAUTION: the -O option is MANDATORY)                    */
/*                                                             */
/* 3. You must be logged in as root to run the program, or     */
/*    SETUID it as root:                                       */
/*                                                             */
/*            # chmod +s fixcmi                                */
/*                                                             */
/* 4. Run it _after_ configuring the chip by the isapnp        */
/*    command.                                                 */
/*                                                             */
/***************************************************************/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <asm/io.h>
#include <unistd.h>

/* Some definitions, most related to the I/O addressing */

/* The base io address of WSS from isapnp.conf */
#define  WSS_BASE                0x530

#define  CMI8330_WSS_BASE        WSS_BASE+4
#define  CMI8330_WSS_INDEX_ADDR  CMI8330_WSS_BASE
#define  CMI8330_WSS_INDEX_REG   CMI8330_WSS_BASE+1
#define  CMI8330_WSS_STATUS_REG  CMI8330_WSS_BASE+2

#define  CMI8330_EXT_REG1 0x10
#define  CMI8330_EXT_REG2 0x11

/* for register 0x10h (each bit)*/
#define  SURROUND  0x20

/* for reg 0x11h (each bit)
* 0   - mute microphone
* 1-2 - mute CD-in right & left
* 3-4 - mute Line-in right & left
* 5   - Reserved
* 6   - sound output louder
* 7   - S/PDIF-IN channel
*/
#define  MICROPHONE    0x01
#define  CDROM_RIGHT   0x02
#define  CDROM_LEFT    0x04
#define  CDROM         CDROM_LEFT | CDROM_RIGHT
#define  LINEIN_RIGHT  0x08
#define  LINEIN_LEFT   0x10
#define  LINEIN        LINEIN_LEFT | LINEIN_RIGHT
#define  ENABLE_LOUD   0x40
#define  SPDIFIN       0x80

/* Will enable access to Indirect Registers of the chip
 * bit 6 of register 0x0C en/disables access */
void cmi8330_enable_write(int onoff)
{
  outb(0x0C, CMI8330_WSS_INDEX_ADDR);
  if (onoff)
    outb(0x40,  CMI8330_WSS_INDEX_REG); /* set bit */
  else
    outb(0x00,  CMI8330_WSS_INDEX_REG); /* clear bit */
}

void cmi8330_set_reg(int reg, short int data)
{
  short int tmp;

  outb(reg, CMI8330_WSS_INDEX_ADDR);
  tmp = inb(CMI8330_WSS_INDEX_REG) | data;
  outb(tmp, CMI8330_WSS_INDEX_REG);
}

main()
{
  int status, i;

  /* Set the required I/O privilege level for accessing the I/O ports. */

  status=iopl(3);
  if (status != 0)
    {
      perror("FIXCMI: IOPL() Error\n");
      exit(1);
    }

  /* Check the CMI8330 WSS register locations */

  if (inb(CMI8330_WSS_STATUS_REG) != 0xCC)
    {
      printf("FIXCMI: Invalid WSS I/O address\n");
      exit(1);
    }

  /* Now set the required bits for turning on whatever */

  cmi8330_enable_write(1);

  cmi8330_set_reg( CMI8330_EXT_REG1, SURROUND);
  cmi8330_set_reg( CMI8330_EXT_REG2, CDROM | LINEIN | ENABLE_LOUD |
MICROPHONE);

  cmi8330_enable_write(0);
}

VI. Test the system.

Reboot the system.

If your system's startup does not automatically run 'isapnp
/etc/isapnp.conf' and 'insmod sound', type in each line and press <ENTER>
(Note that RedHat 5.2 includes these lines in '/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit').

Run the program 'fixcmi'.

Type 'cat /boot/vmlinuz > /dev/audio' and press <ENTER>.  You should get
output from your speakers.  Press <Control>+<C> to stop.

Place your favorite CD in the CD-Rom.

>From a command line, run 'cdplay' (or from X, run 'xplaycd' and press
start).  You should now hear music coming from the speakers.

If everything is working, edit '/etc/rc.d/rc.local' and place a call to
'fixcmi' in it so the file is loaded upon startup.  Save the file and exit.

VII. Notes

Marco Antonio Checa Funcke mentions that isapnptools 1.17 and sndconfig 0.29
(RH 5.2 ships with versions 1.15 and 0.27) autodetects the chipset and
creates the following conf.modules file:

alias sound sb
alias midi mpu401
options mpu401 io=0x330 irq=9
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dam=1 dma16=5

He recommends changing this setup manually to the setup listed in section
IV.

Marco also mentions that RH5.2 stores *.o3 and *.sb files in /etc/midi
instead of /etc.  This was causing problems with playmidi.  Copying them to
/etc solved the problem for him.  Can anyone concur?

Adam Rice wrote in to note that pnpdump needs to be run when all devices are
in use, and/or /etc/isapnp.conf needs to be configured properly.  I don't
have any other pnp cards in my box, so I can't confirm this.  Little help,
anyone?

Adam continues to add that only RedHat seems to have modularized sound in
the kernel 2.0.x series.  Other distributions may have to slightly modify
this How-To.  Also, fixcmi seems to do it's job before the sound modules are
loaded (if fixcmi is running in your init scripts, for example).  His CD
player programs wouldn't produce any sound until he does

echo >/dev/audio

to load the sound drivers.

If you're running another distribution, please send me your changes.  I'm
starting to switch over to Debian from RedHat, so I'll try to incorporate
Debian changes in the next version.

Trevor Boicey mentions that the WSS part of the card doesn't require an IRQ,
just a base address.  If you're tight for IRQ's, you may want to give this a
try.

Finally, Matthew Joseph needs some help with the following problem.  For
some reason, he's only getting 8 bit mono sound.  Any suggestions??

VIII. Acknowledgments

I'd like to thank:

Luiz Mendes for the program 'fixcmi', for which this mini how-to would not
be possible.
Mark Vandersteen for his improvements to the original program.
Hans Wolters for the Dutch version of this document.  The translation is
located at http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/linux.htm (Yes, I've got to
get this on a site!)
Marco Antonio Checa Funcke, Adam Rice and Trevor Boicey for their
contributions to the Notes section.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chetan Ahuja)
Subject: Re: Using visibroker for Java
Date: 13 Feb 1999 22:48:12 GMT

Edwin van Gruijthuijsen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I am trying to get some ORB communication going between my Linux box and
: a Windows 98 machine. I have copied the jar files of Visibroker 3.3 for
: Java to the Linux machine, on which I hava JDK 1.1.6 running.

: On the Windows 98 machine I run the Visibroker Agent and a CountServer
: (from Orfali's Corba/Java book, 2nd edition). Then I start the
: CountClient on the Linux machine, which reports that it could not locate
: the following object:

:         repository id: IDL:Counter/Count:1.0
:         object name: My Count

: When I run the CountClient on the Windows 98 machine, all works fine.
: Pinging between the two machines goes ok too. I use IP addresses
: 172.16.0.1 and 172.16.0.2 with subnetmask 255.255.255.0.

: Any ideas how I can get the CountClient running on Linux?

  I don't have an answer for you but you might want to ask this on
the java-linux mailing list... start from www.blackdown.org and find out
how to join it ....

  Chetan

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:28:04 +1300
From: Peter Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Acrobat Reader 3.02

I am having a lot of trouble installing Acrobat Reader 3.02

First off, I downloaded it 5 times (from Adobe, U.S.A.) and

each time the files were truncated (I should add that I had

previously downloaded and installed without any problem, the reason

I wanted to do it again was that for some reason, although I could

still read PDF files, the ability to print had ceased).

Now I have finally managed to download and install, but

I get the error message "can't load library "libreadcore.so""

(that file is actually sitting in the lib directory, by the way).

I am using RedHat 5.2 and Netscape 4.07. Has anyone else had

trouble with this?

Peter Rodriguez
136, Kolmar Road, Papatoetoe
Auckland, NEW ZEALAND

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Flatop)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Trouble detecting ModemBlaster Modem under Linux
Date: 14 Feb 1999 22:34:04 GMT

says...
> On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:18:19 -0800, Stephen Proctor
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am having a terrible time trying to get my Linux OS to recognize my internal
> > modem blaster 56K PCI modem.  I don't believe it is a Winmodem as it has a 16550A
> > UART chip and does not specify that Win95 is required, etc.
> >
> > I am running RedHat Linux 5.1 (kernel 2.0.34)
> >
> > Some of the things I have tried:
> >
> > o I have tried using the pnpdump utility to "find" the modem, but to no avail.
> >
> > o Also, setserial does not detect it either.  Not suprisingly, the minicom program
> >   also is not able to communicate with it.
> >
> > o I doubt that there is any interrupt conflict.  I have disabled all other serial
> >   ports (in the BIOS) except COM1 which is used for the mouse.
> >   I don't see an interrupt 3 under the /proc/interrupts output, which is what I
> >   would have expected for the modem.
> >
> > Has anyone out there gotten the ModemBlaster modem to work under Linux?
> >
> > If so, please show me the light!
> >
> > Thanks for any help that comes my way.
> >
> > Regards, Steve
> >
> > PS:  I have attached output from /proc/pci, /proc/interrupts, and dmesg.  Maybe
> >      someone can spot the problem from this information.
> >
> > Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
> > tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> This is com1:
>
> Depending on what port you have the modem on use the 'mknod'
> command.
>
> com2
> mknod -m 660 /dev/ttyS1 c 4 65
> com3
> mknod -m 660 /dev/ttyS2 c 4 66
> com4
> mknod -m 660 /dev/ttyS3 c 4 67
>
> Afterwards use the command:
> chown root.tty /dev/ttyS#
I have the same modem. I got mine to work by disabling PNP (via jumpers),
setting to Com4, IRQ3 (also via jumpers).

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (T Sutherland)
Subject: Applix default margins
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:58:21 GMT

I have Applix 4.37 and I've  been having some unrelated problems with
offset printing from Ghostscript.  I went into the Applix print
default settings and set it for margins that would fix the problem (or
at least, mask it), but it didn't take.  Loading up Words, the margins
went right back to where they normally go, not where I supposedly told
it to.

Do the default print settings actually change the margins in "Words,"
and if not, how can I change the Words default margins?

Thanks...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: w command shows no users/utmp empty
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:23:08 GMT

In article <7a3tc1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dan Srebnick wrote:
>My w command has stopped showing who is logged on to the box.  In checking
>around, it seems that /var/log/utmp is now empty.  I'm running kernel
>2.2.1, glibc2.06, procps-1.2.9.  Can someone suggest possible sources of
>failure?

glibc-FAQ :: the format of utmp / wtmp is different from the old one
now, but you might give the utmpd a try. It comes with the glibc sources
of 2.1 at least but I do not know for 2.0.x versions.

If not, then you've to recompile some stuff that writes to utmp and
wtmp and a list of things I know of is ...
sysvinit, agetty, xterm, rxvt, procps, shadow password suite, several
daemons like in.telnetd and stuff.

BTW, those files grow pretty fast now so you might keep an eye on
them.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Seebach)
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:35:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mayor Of R'lyeh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>allow it. While not an actual regulation it was government pressure
>that has gotten the SUVs lowered and lightened thus lessening the
>safety of the last really safe class of vehicles left.

I don't buy that one.  I've seen an Isuzu Trooper go fairly far up on
two weels at slowish (~50-55?) freeway speeds just trying to center itself
in a lane suddenly.

And, of course, SUV's are more dangerous *TO OTHER DRIVERS*.  If you share
responsibility for injury and death between both cars in an accident, it
becomes painfully obvious that SUV's are horribly dangerous.  In addition,
they are a traffic hazard.  I've been nearly-hit by SUV's about once a month
since they started being popular, because the morons who drive them think
"oh, I'm safe, and if there's anything in my blind spot it's probably too
short to hurt me", and merge without signalling or looking.  I've had to try
to guess whether or not there was oncoming traffic because a SUV was in my
way.

No, the solution isn't "everyone drives a SUV" - because if we do, then we
end up duplicating a lot of the problems we'd have had if everyone were
driving smaller cars, and we waste a *LOT* of resources moving around excess
tonnage of metal no one really cares about.

Does this mean I favor regulation?  No.  I favor slapping morons upside the
head, and I favor making sure that people who drive vehicles which are
particularly likely to damage or kill other people *are liable for those
consequences*.

Anyway, go re-do your research.  There are a lot of troubles with SUV's,
especially when they have to coexist with other cars.

(Disclaimer:  I drive an old station wagon that has been in three accidents,
the net damage to my car being a bit of a scuff on one bumper.  It's a nice
old tank - and everyone can see over it, too.)

-s
--
Copyright 1999, All rights reserved.  Peter Seebach / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Thinking about Promise FasTrak and Netgear 10/100's
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:41:10 -0500

Michael wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am trying to determine whether there are drivers and experience with the
> following
> cards:
>
> Promise  FasTrak with multiple drives either as RAID or large partition.
> Bay Networks Netgear 10/100BaseTX NIC FA310TX
>
> I want to get some feedback before I commit money ;-)
>
> Thanks in advance.  Please reply direct, ISP news server seems to loose
> messages.
> Would appreciate a suggestions on a Linux and/or general news server.
>
> Michael
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I use the NetGear card in my computer.  No problems with 2.0.37 kernel
or later it is recognized.  No special setup needed.

I don't know about the FasTrak card, but I have a DPT card that has a
Linux penguin right on the box!  I haven't tried it yet, but plan too.

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Can NT with NTFS coexist with RedHat Linux
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:30:07 -0700

Jon King wrote:

> Tat M. Leung wrote:
> >
> > I have a computer currently running NT server using NTFS.  I like to add a
> > second harddisk to the computer and install RedHat Linux on this drive.  The
> > second harddisk will be used for Linux exclusively.  I understand that if NT
> > is using FAT, there would not be any problem.  Since my system is using
> > NTFS, can I install RedHat Linux on this system?
> >
> > Thank you for any advise.
> >
> > Tat
>
> I have NT(NTFS) on one partition and Linux on another and they work
> fine.  Then again, I'm a newbie to Linux, so take my words with a grain
> of salt.  BTW this Linux OS kicks ass, I've been using Windows all my
> life and have been waiting for some of the features Linux already has.
> Now all they need to do is port games to Linux.
>
> Jon

Ever heard of "WINE" my friend. The end of your M$ days may come sooner
than you think (after they implement more API calls).

http://www.winehq.com

change soon?) is that my sister is using the linux box.hine. But, this
message did travel through my linux firewall.

------------------------------

From: oak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Midnight Commander: Viewing graphics files?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:06:41 GMT

Anyone know what I have to do to view graphics files with mc?
I'd like to tell something in ~/.mc to view all files with the .jpg
extension with "zgv" which can normally be invoked on the command line
with zgv file.jpg

By the way, anyone know of a way to view a file in thumnail mode?  I
mean say I have 20 really huge graphics files and I just want a peek
at a couple of them to see what they are, what would I have to do to
view them as a thumbnail so that I don't have to wait to load the
entire massive image? Perhaps some option like zgv -thumbnail file.jpg

Thanks

-Tony

 Abbreviate - af 2 millenia, a btr wy t rd n wri.
         http://www.eskimo.com/~oak/abr/

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StarOffice
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:45:14 -0500

Martin wrote:

> I'm trying to install the StarOffice 5 package (from PC Plus, UK) on my
> Gateway2000.
> I get as far as the screen where one is supposed to enter personal info.
> Filling this out and pressing enter crashes the installapp.
>
> Any ideas? Theres plenty of RAM  (128) and space (2GB) on the drive.
>
> M.

I ordered a personal version of StarOffice 5.0
I think it is a step in the right direction,
but I also think that it is not there yet.

It installed fine, but the damn thing doesn't import
the MS Office files floating around my office worth
a damn, and Even on a 400MHz Pentium Xeon system with
1GB of RAM it is slow.

The thing constantly core's out and then leaves a process
running that busily gobbles up all RAM and corrupts any
files it has open.

WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP I PAID FOR!!!

-Ben.