From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XFree86 resolution
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:16:27 -0500

Chad Lemmen wrote:

> Using XFree86 4.0.2 and Caldera eDesktop 2.4.  I ran XFree86 -configure to
> generate a XF86Config file, but there is no video resolutions listed in
> the
> file that was generated.  The X server works, but how does it know what
> resolution to use "800x600" "1024x768" etc... ?
>
> I can't seem to cut and paste right now so I cant past the "Screen"
> section of XF86Config so here is just one display setting
>
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth   8
> EndSubSection
>
> This is all it has for each depth setting.  There is no Modes, which I
> thought
> it was set the resolution.  So how is the resolution being set?

The server is aware of your monitor and selects the maximum size display
which the monitor is capable of displaying.  You want ModeLines, you can
add them and the server will use them.

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Server: Hardware under Linux
Date: 7 Jun 2001 01:52:15 GMT

  Robert Ullman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 06 Jun 2001 19:50:51 -0500, wrote :

RU> Hi.
RU>
RU> I'm building a server.  After doing some research, I've decided
RU> (for now) on the server hardware.  I'd like to know if the hardware is
RU> adequate
RU> and if Linux will support it reasonably well.  Below, I list what I've
RU> chosen
RU> for now, what we'll run on server, then some questions.
RU>
RU> Hardware:
RU>
RU> - ASUS A7M266 motherboard.
RU> - AMD Athlon 1.3GHz 384kb cache, socket A, T-BIRD 266MHz.
RU> - Adaptec 3200S RAID controller PCI to U160 w/32MB SDRAM 80MIPS 64bit.
RU>     Adaptec 64MB ECC SO-DIMM for the RAID controller.
RU>     Adaptec battery backup for 3200S RAID.
RU> - Two Seagate Cheetah hard drives: 18.4GB, Ultra 160 SCSI,  10K RPM,
RU> 3.5LP.
RU> - Toshiba 40X SCSI CD-ROM (XM-6401B).

Probably overkill (max effective continous thoughput for a SCSI CD-ROM
is 8X).  You will only be using this to install the O/S.

RU> - EtherPower II  10/100 PCI network card.
RU> - Viewsonic Q71-5 Optiquest monitor: 17in/16.0v, 27mm, 1280X1024, 87Hz.
RU> - MATROX Millenium G200 AGP 8 MB video card.

Video card and monitor don't really mater much for a server -- you're
not going to install an X-Server on it.  If the video card can handle
text console mode, that is quite good enough.  Actually you don't even
need a monitor at all if you set things up to use one of the COM ports
as a serial console.

RU> - Two 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM ECC.
RU> - Seagate Scorpion DAT drive (DDS-3).
RU> - UPS- Probably Tripp Lite Smart Online 1000 (SU1000RT2U) with battery
RU> pack.
RU>        (or Invensys Fortress or possibly Patriot II)

Check the hardware HOWTO to be sure.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (freedman)
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.1: Mount of Fujitsu MO drive
Date: 7 Jun 2001 01:00:40 GMT

On 6 Jun 2001 11:22:49 -0700, Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have RedHat 7.1 installed on a Dell system with an external Fujitsu
>MO drive. I have MO disks written on a Windows system that I want to
>see in Linux. Does anybody know how to mount the MO drive so I can use
>the drive on different OS?
>
>Thanks ahead
>
>Michael

u don't say whether it is a scsi or an ide device.  I will pretend that it is
scsi but the only change to ide is the device name.

You MO drive should be treated exactly like a regular HD.  You can use fdisk to
partition it and assign the file system type.  Suppose your drive is /dev/sda
and that you created a vfat partition on /dev/sda1.  You would then need to
create a file system using the mkfs command "mkfs -t vfat /dev/sda1".  Once
that is done you need to mount the fs to a mount point(ie, a director), eg
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/c_win.  At this point you can read and write stuff
to /mnt/c_win.  When you are done with the drive, do a "umount /mnt/c_win". If
all you want to do is read you Windows disks,  the all you have to do is the
"mount" command.
--
Dick Freedman

------------------------------

From: "Joel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The bare minumum.
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 21:02:47 -0500

Actually, I was thinking of building my own linux distro for the computer
that has redhat on it right now.  I, personaly, don't like the way redhat
sets up the computer.  The machine is a bit on the slow side, and I don't
want all the stuff it puts on there.  I did look through the list of
packages, and took out anything that I didn't want, still put 800+ MBs of
stuff (what's taking up all that space?).

Where do you suggest I start in building my own distro?  Thanks.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Bruce Barbour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 02:17:53 GMT

I have Red Hat 7.1 installed and it works perfectly, except that when
finish of loading.  Any suggestions?  Tnx

------------------------------

From: Bruce Barbour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hangs on "sendmail" before loading
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 02:19:53 GMT

I have RedHat 7.1 installed and it works perfectly, except that when
rebooting, it loads until "sendmail" and then hangs for nearly five
minutes before the "OK" and finishing loading and presenting the login.
Any suggestions?

------------------------------

From: "Rodney D. Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: emacs & mailcrypt error
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 19:35:09 -0700

I recently installed mailcrypt, and following the instructions,
everything appeared to make & install correctly.

But, when I run emacs, version 20.5.1, I get the following error message;

"Error in init file: File error: "Cannot open load file", "mailcrypt""

mailcrypt.el is in the default directory

/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt.el

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney D. Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Member of Digital Freedom Alliance
Amateur: KG6ANX            GMRS: WPOM592
ICQ# : 18002350            Have A NORML Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (krakle)
Crossposted-To: alt.drugs.pot,comp.lang.javascript,comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python
Subject: Re: GROUP TAKEOVER IN PROGRESS
Date: 6 Jun 2001 19:35:37 -0700

You are an idiot... Enough said...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Help: :LPx vs PARPORTx
Date: 07 Jun 2001 02:41:53 GMT

On 6 Jun 2001 02:28:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>Help, Ive done this before, but its been so long ago that I dont
>remember anything being special.
>
>I can print to my (parallel) printer via /dev/lp0.
>
>In the configuration of the kernel I have set
>        Parallel Port Support:  Parallel port suppor
>        Parallel Port Support:  PC-style hardware
>        Character Devices:      Parallel printer support
>
>all of these are modules, and in /proc/moduels I see that
>        parport
>        parport_pc
>are loaded.
>
>I thought I COULD print to /dev/parport0 by just setting the printer up
>with this device rather than /dev/lp0, but nothing happens.  Ive
>started and restarted things, but nothing.
>
>HOW DO I PRINT using /dev/parport0???  What am I missing???

You don't.  If you take a look at
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt , you will notice that lp0 and
parport0 have different major device numbers, and refer to different
devices.  parport0 is major 99, minor 0, and is the "raw" parallel port.
lp0 is major 6, minor 0, and adds a few things on top of the raw
parallel port, like ACKing and checking for "out of paper", "offline",
and "printer on fire" conditions.

You want the things lp0 provides if you are sending data to a printer,
unless you are trying to interface with some extremely non-standard
printer.  /dev/parport0 provides a lower-level interface for people who
want to do things like run a light-controller board from their parport.

You said that printing worked.  If things ain't broke, don't fix them...
unless you're just hacking around for understanding or amusement, of
course!

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best
http://www.brainbench.com     /   friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark
=============================/    to read.  ==Groucho Marx

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laptop umruesten
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:35:37 GMT

Raj Rijhwani writes:
> Why should he?  It's an international newsgroup is it not?

Yes, and you are free to post in any language you wish.  Of course, if you
want your article to be readable by the largest number of people you will
post in english, but that is up to you.  Do what you want.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: root password problem
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:53:56 +1000

Frank McCormick wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
> >
> > Steve wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 09:47:59 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
>  could look for ?
> > >
> > > I've heard of something like this before, but can't remember what the
> > > solution was.
> > >
> > > What happens if you just login as a user and su to root, do you still get
> > > the delay or not?
> > >

> >    There is no other user :) I'll have to create one :) I'll try it and
> > see what happens.
>
> Back again - created a new user... and discovered the same thing
> happens. I get a 45 to 50 sec delay before the prompt returns.
> Everything works however. It's just annoying.
>
> Nobody have an ideas ?
Yeah, long delays are nearly always caused by name lookup issues. Check
your
/etc/hosts file and make sure your systems own name is in there, check
resolv.conf,
it may be pointing to your isp even when disconnected. Also check
/etc/host.conf and
make sure it has a line saying 'order hosts,bind' so that lookup will
check hosts first.

Frank

------------------------------

From: "muzh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: internet explorer & outlook express
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 15:03:38 +1200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "thefoxyone"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> dont suppose these will work on redhat or other flavours, directx would
> be nice too :)

IE works with recent wine -- use the command
wine -dll shell,shell32,comctl32,comctrl=n "c:/program files/internet
explorer/iexplore.exe" [all one line]
I haven got outlook express o work with wine, tho

--
Never trust a man in a suit --

cll

------------------------------

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: sendmail POP3 question
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 03:07:28 GMT

I am running RH 7.1 and sendmail.  I have sendmail up and working and an
MX record in DNS with my ISP for my domain.  Anyone know how I now turn
my Linux box into a POP3 server?  Thanks for any help.

Lamar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Cochrane)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: writing basic batch commands? (newbie alert)
Date: 6 Jun 2001 21:27:15 -0600

Quick tip:

In bash and other bourne-like shells, you can use the following special
variables to access command-line arguments:

$*  # all arguments
$1  # 1st argument
$2  # 2nd argument, etc.
$#  # Number of arguments

Example:

if [ $# -lt 2 ]; then # If # of args is less than 2
        echo "I need at least 2 args."; exit 1
else
        firstname=$1; lastname=$2
fi

echo "Hello $firstname $lastname."

--
Jim Cochrane

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 03:41:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 19:50:51 -0500, Robert Ullman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm building a server.  After doing some research, I've decided
> (for now) on the server hardware.  I'd like to know if the hardware is
> adequate
> and if Linux will support it reasonably well.  Below, I list what I've
> chosen
> for now, what we'll run on server, then some questions.
>
> Hardware:
>
> - ASUS A7M266 motherboard.
> - AMD Athlon 1.3GHz 384kb cache, socket A, T-BIRD 266MHz.
> - Adaptec 3200S RAID controller PCI to U160 w/32MB SDRAM 80MIPS 64bit.
>     Adaptec 64MB ECC SO-DIMM for the RAID controller.
>     Adaptec battery backup for 3200S RAID.
> - Two Seagate Cheetah hard drives: 18.4GB, Ultra 160 SCSI,  10K RPM,
> 3.5LP.
> - Toshiba 40X SCSI CD-ROM (XM-6401B).
> - EtherPower II  10/100 PCI network card.
> - Viewsonic Q71-5 Optiquest monitor: 17in/16.0v, 27mm, 1280X1024, 87Hz.
> - MATROX Millenium G200 AGP 8 MB video card.
> - Two 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM ECC.
> - Seagate Scorpion DAT drive (DDS-3).
> - UPS- Probably Tripp Lite Smart Online 1000 (SU1000RT2U) with battery
> pack.
>        (or Invensys Fortress or possibly Patriot II)

Just a comment about Tripp Lite.  I bought a BC 450 Internet because I
knew someone who used to work there and it started overheating and
tripping out as though the power was failing (it was not) fortunately just
before the warranty ran out.  The warranty replacement (a newer model)
likewise began overheating and tripping out before another year.  At that
time I was just using it for a single computer and monitor.  On the other
hand we have one on a UPS box (as in United Parcel Service) at work that
has not had any problems even though it was totally run down once when
someone shut off the wrong breaker.

Since then I have been using what should be a light duty APC Back-UPS
Office to run 2 computers, a monitor and sometimes a laptop, and it is
cool as a cucumber with no problems at all.  We also have an old APC 400
on our office network equipment, a newer 500 on my work PC and a bigger
one on our office phone system that have been faultless (except for
flickering neon power light on the very old 400).

I believe APC units come with Unix software, but we just have Windows (not
NT) at work so I have not tried it.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim)
Subject: Re: Major Problem with tar, Red Hat 7.1 and 6.2
Date: 7 Jun 2001 03:44:51 GMT

In article <9fmha3$fsv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>I ran from /root in Red Hat 7.1:
>
>cd ..
>tar -cvpzf (disk file outside tar tree) ./
>
>Any attempt to reload this file using a Red Hat 6.2 rescue configuration
>leads to a system which remains read only on "/", i.e., does not remount
>the root partition rw. Using the 7.1 configuration, I get a TERMINATION
>(signal 15) out of tar in ./usr/share somewhere, and it's all over,
>repeatedly (I've tried to --exclude the area that terminates).

Well, it seems that the BULK of the problem is that the Red Hat 7.1
/etc/fstab uses symbolic labels to describe boot and usr and such
partitions!

This means that if one does a restore from a tar file by reformatting
and everything else, those LABELS must be preserved in the file system
recreation, which is beyond my antiquated restore procedures!

So the solution appears straightforward, but less than clearly documented
in the release ...

Jim
remove not for email

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hangs on "sendmail" before loading
Date: 06 Jun 2001 19:15:18 -0800

Bruce Barbour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have RedHat 7.1 installed and it works perfectly, except that when
>rebooting, it loads until "sendmail" and then hangs for nearly five
>minutes before the "OK" and finishing loading and presenting the login.
>Any suggestions?

It is attempting a DNS lookup on your host name, and no doubt cannot
find it or even a DNS server, hence it times out in about 4-5 minutes
and then proceeds to finish booting up.

Whatever sendmail thinks your system's name is, it should be in the
/etc/hosts file (and /etc/host.conf should order the search to look
in the /etc/hosts file first and use bind second).  Generally that
works best if sendmail is told you are "localhost".

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: bot403 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:05:03 -0500

Why would you do everythign as root anyways? Its a bad idea to always use root.
I keep a normal user around and only use root when i have to. Its good security
and
linux common sense. Trust me ive done some pretty stupid stuff as root. Root can
get away with anything so i stay as the normal user most of the time. As to your
problem try telnetting/ SSH'ing in. I believe those CAN use different methods to
retrive your password other than the console. Maybe a problem with PAM a few
libraries? (sorry im not sure what libraries you might be looking for)
Just some hunches...good luck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kilgore)
Subject: extract segments from an MPEG file
Date: 6 Jun 2001 21:09:24 -0700

I would like to extract segments from an mpeg file, preferrably
using a simple command-line utility.  So I have two questions:

        -       is MPEG 1, 2, ... structured so that you can just extract
                segments out from the beginning, middle, or end, and it
                is still an MPEG file?

        -       how can I find the addresses in the file at which I can
                make cuts?

Alternatively, is there a utility program already out there that
will do this (either report the addresses, or extract segments
for me), or a library I could use to accomplish this?  I have
looked at libmpeg3, libmpeg2, and something that came with my
debian distribution which I think is called libmpeg1, but have
not found a way to discover the addresses of interest using any
of these.

By the way, I need to do the work in Linux.

Help!