  rmmod output to syslog (Miasmal)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Connie L. Graff)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: pls help newbie setup ftp
Date: 12 Jun 2001 21:06:21 GMT

luther ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Hi,

> I am very new to linux and have installed RedHat 7.1. I've gotten quite a
> bit accomplished so far (got my NIC working, Samba, configured apache, even
> got httpd moved into the right runlevel so it starts when I boot..)

> I want to set up the ftp server so that is starts when my machine starts (in
> runlevel 5).

> The problem is, when I run ntsysv I do not see ftpd in the list. Does it
> have a different name, or do I need to somehow add ftpd so that ntsysv knows
> about it? What is the best way to do this?

> Thanks in advance..

> Luther

I'm pretty new at this too.  After reading a couple HOWTO's and a README
warning about the dangers of ftp, I still wanted regular, old ftp.  What
worked for me was to edit /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd to look like:

service ftp
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
        server_args             = -l -a
        log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        nice                    = 10
        disable                 = no
}

The default in RH 7.1 is disable = yes.  After a reboot, ftp worked.
There must be a more elegant way.

Connie

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank)
Subject: netscape 4.75 dies
Date: 12 Jun 2001 14:25:19 -0700

Hello,
I need help with my disappearing Netscape app.  Running on Redhat 7, each time
I run netscape it works, but when I invoke the netscape mail client, it will die
as soon as I select the mail client window!  Wierd.  Anyway, its not a big deal,
but I would like to know what in sam hell is going on.  Thanks

Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank)
Subject: Re: fetchmail config problem
Date: 12 Jun 2001 14:28:33 -0700

Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank) wrote:
> >Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Hopefully he would first learn that spamming the net is not
> >> appropriate.
> >>
> >> And you probably don't really want to assist spammers!
> >
> >hey, just doing my job. If you have another position available
> >for me let me know.  Thanks for the info though...
>
> Being paid to do it does NOT make it any more appropriate.

if you must know, it's a newsletter that's sent to SUBSCRIBED customers. Is that
OK mister spam policeman, sir?

------------------------------

From: Ian Northeast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux emus for Windows?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:30:51 +0100

Robert Heller wrote:

>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ComWizz),
>   In a message on 12 Jun 2001 11:01:20 -0700, wrote :
>
> C> Anyone know a Linux emulator for Windows? - Maybe a Red Hat Linux, or
> C> Linux Mandrake emulator?
> C>
>
> You can install vmware.

WinNT/2000 only though.

See also www.connectix.com, this will apparantly run in 9x although I
havn't tried it.

These are both commercial.

Ian

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Timers in threads
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:15:01 -0600

> The man page says there can be one setitimer for
> each process, however when setting one in each of two
> different threads, they interfere with each other.
>
> The separate process ids show up for each thread, but
> apparently they are not considered separate processes for
> setitimer purposes.

    While I'm not familiar with setitimer, a new thread is *not* a new
process, so I wouldn't think that it would work.

steve

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:40:22 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Forgotten Command/Utility Help??

WA, Support wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know what the command/utility is that will give me the
> library dependencies of a given binary?  I am trying to determine the
> library dependencies for 'named'.
>
> I have used the command before but can not remember what it is or
> where I read about it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Please reply via email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] since I check this
> more often during the day.
>
> Thanks,
> Murrah Boswell
> Systems Administrator
> Wild Apache Internet Services
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

man ldd

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Ian Northeast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running Linux under Windows?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:45:53 +0100

George Trapkov wrote:

> Do you have the licence key for www.vmware.com?

www.vmware.com is their DNS name and as such does not have a license
key. If you mean "do I have the license key for VMWare", then, yes, I do
have a license key for VMWare as I purchased a copy. I cannot of course
give you it, as you must purchase your own copy to get one. VMWare is
commercial software and you have to pay for it. If you don't like this
then your only legal alternative is not to run it. I am not going to
help you to break the law. I prefer my software to be open source myself
but if it isn't it isn't, pirating is not a valid protest IMHO.

If you want an open source emulator have a look at www.plex86.org, but
be warned, this is basically a hacker's toy at the moment.

Regards, Ian

------------------------------

From: Ian Northeast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:49:55 +0100

Peet Grobler wrote:

> <SNIP>
>
> >Wow. Wonder if this would work:
> >
> > Linux running on ppc
> >   Mac-On-Linux running MacOS
> >            VirtualPC running Windows
> >              VWWare running linux
> >

> Should work, provided you have enough memory.

VMWare under VMWare doesn't work, but this isn't involved here. So, yes,
it should work. However, I would not be surprised if it was somewhat
slow. To the point of taking days to install:)

Ian

------------------------------

From: Ian Northeast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modprobe at boot time
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:55:20 +0100

Sebastien Stormacq wrote:

> On SuSE, you have to insert a line (modprobe xxx) in the
> /etc/rc.d/boot.local file
>
> I guess there is a similar mechanism in RH

In /etc/modules.conf (or conf.modules):

alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

I don't think this is RH specific.

It may be better to compile the driver into the kernel. If the root disk
is on the SCSI adapter, you have to do this or configure a ramdisk.

Regards, Ian

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Jun 2001 22:23:22 GMT

  WA Support,
  In a message on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:01:41 GMT, wrote :

WS> Hello,
WS>
WS> Does anyone know what the command/utility is that will give me the
WS> library dependencies of a given binary?  I am trying to determine the
WS> library dependencies for 'named'.

ldd

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aravindh)
Subject: flushing the buffer in the kernel
Date: 12 Jun 2001 15:17:15 -0700

hi,

i need to flush the output buffer when the kernel is booting up. how
do i do this? i want to do this so that i can make sure that none of
the messages are stuck in the buffer.

thanks
aravindh

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Re-partitioning
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:27:09 -0500

Steve Martin wrote:

> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.misc Skylar Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I just got a new SCSI hard drive, and am having some trouble repartitioning it.
>I would
> >
> > Well, fix your scsi setup then! Something as basic as that not working
> > indicates that your scsi system is fouled.

> I hate like the dickens to agree with the good Dr. Breuer, but
> I have to say that it sounds like maybe a hardware problem.
> Double-check the termination of the SCSI chain, especially
> make sure there is only one termination on the drive end
> (if there's only one drive, make sure it's terminated; if
> more than one, make sure that only the last drive on the
> end of the cable is terminated).

Thanks for responding.  The drive itself is a 9G Seagate in an
external enclosure attached to an Adaptec 2490 HBA.  It is the
only external device; internally, there are two 2G Seagate
drives, an Exabyte tape drive and a 40x HP CDROM drive.  All the
devices are ercognized by the HBA when the system boots and all
have unique SCSI ID's assigned.  All the internal devices work
fine; only the external drive is giving us problems.  Both ends
of the SCSI chain are terminated.

> Let me ask the Stupid Question. You did include support for
> your particular SCSI adapter in your kernel, right?

Yes.

> Can you elaborate on "Parition Magic crashes"? Does it just
> dump core ungracefully, or does it give any error messages
> when it departs? For that matter, if you can lay your hands on
> a DOS / Win9x boot disk, can you partition the disk with
> that? Although not ideal for Linux use, this at least will
> give some indication whether the hardware is indeed crappy.
> Some more verbose error messages might help diagnosis.

We have attempted to partition the unit using Partition Magic
v6.0, which fails with a write error writing the partition table
or simply hangs without completing.  OS/2 fdisk will partition
the drive without complaint, but upon reboot the partitions are
no longer found.  Linux fdisk, cfdisk and sfdisk all appear to
write the partition table, but when examined later no partitions
are found.

> And, as Dr. Breuer said, what does /var/log/dmesg show?
> This would be an indication whether the drive is found at
> boot time by the kernel and what geometry the kernel thinks
> the drive has.

The linux kernel identifies the device as "SCSI device sdc
17755614 512-byte hdwr sectors (9091MB)" but the next line reads
"sdc: unknown partition table"

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where are my Zip and CDROM drives?
Date: 12 Jun 2001 23:08:38 GMT

Me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am a total newbie to Linux who added another hard disk and loaded
> Mandrake 8.0, to see what it is all about. I have a Zip drive, CDR and
> CD_RW on the system. Bios and Windows see them. Linux creates
> directories in /dev for them

        I hope not! <g>  You mean "device entries".  Seriously, I wouldn't
put too much faith in what you see in /dev.  Absolutely anything can be in
there, and it doesn't necessarily have any relation to what hardware you
actually have.  You do need them, though.

> but I cannot find out how to load them,
> even as root. Mount does not work, gives message "to many file
> systems, or wrong file system"! umount says "not mounted"

> 30G and 13G WD hard drives
> Toshiba 40X CDROM and 100M Zip

        IDE/ATAPI or SCSI?  I'll assume IDE/ATAPI since you don't say
otherwise.  This is relatively easy.
first (master) drive on first IDE bus = hda
second (slave) drive on first IDE bus = hdb
first (master) drive on first IDE bus = hdc
second (slave) drive on second IDE bus = hdd
etc.

first partition on drive = hda1
second partition on drive = hda2
third partition on drive = hda3
etc.

        So, the first partition on the master drive of the second ide bus is
/dev/hdc1.  Assuming it has a Linux filesystem, you'd mount it like
mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt
If it has a DOS (FAT) filesystem, you need to specify that with "-t msdos"
To mount ATAPI devices (like CDROMs) you need ATAPI support in your kernel,
but if you're using a stock kernel, it almost certainly has that.

> Unknown PCI SCSI with Caravelle CD-RW

        SCSI is a little trickier.  You need to have SCSI, SCSI CDROM, and
probably SCSI generic support in your kernel.  If you're using a stock
kernel, it might well not have these.  I'll have to leave this to others
since neither SCSI nor CDRWs are my strong point.

JDW

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:16:35 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Steve Martin wrote:

>I would
>> >
>> > Well, fix your scsi setup then! Something as basic as that not working
>> > indicates that your scsi system is fouled.

>> I hate like the dickens to agree with the good Dr. Breuer, but
>> I have to say that it sounds like maybe a hardware problem.
>> Double-check the termination of the SCSI chain, especially
>> make sure there is only one termination on the drive end
>> (if there's only one drive, make sure it's terminated; if
>> more than one, make sure that only the last drive on the
>> end of the cable is terminated).

> Thanks for responding.  The drive itself is a 9G Seagate in an
> external enclosure attached to an Adaptec 2490 HBA.  It is the
> only external device; internally, there are two 2G Seagate
> drives, an Exabyte tape drive and a 40x HP CDROM drive.  All the
> devices are ercognized by the HBA when the system boots and all
> have unique SCSI ID's assigned.  All the internal devices work
> fine; only the external drive is giving us problems.  Both ends
> of the SCSI chain are terminated.

And what is the termination status of the controller? Are all devices
scsi wide, or are some narrow? I imagine that the tape and cdrom
are narrow and the disks are wide. That means that the tape and cdrom
must be on the end of the scsi buss, and the termination for the upper
channel must be before these two and after the disks, whilst the
termination for the lower channel must be after the tape and cdrom.

If the external device is wide, then the controller must be open
(not terminated). If the external disk is narrow, then the controller
must be terminated on the upper channel and open on the lower.

And what is the total length of the bus? As far as I recall it has to
be something like 1m, max.

>> Can you elaborate on "Parition Magic crashes"? Does it just
>> dump core ungracefully, or does it give any error messages
>> when it departs? For that matter, if you can lay your hands on
>> a DOS / Win9x boot disk, can you partition the disk with
>> that? Although not ideal for Linux use, this at least will
>> give some indication whether the hardware is indeed crappy.
>> Some more verbose error messages might help diagnosis.

> We have attempted to partition the unit using Partition Magic
> v6.0, which fails with a write error writing the partition table
> or simply hangs without completing.  OS/2 fdisk will partition
> the drive without complaint, but upon reboot the partitions are
> no longer found.  Linux fdisk, cfdisk and sfdisk all appear to
> write the partition table, but when examined later no partitions
> are found.

Your writes or reads are not reaching the disk, or it is simply not
formatted or not working.

>> And, as Dr. Breuer said, what does /var/log/dmesg show?
>> This would be an indication whether the drive is found at
>> boot time by the kernel and what geometry the kernel thinks
>> the drive has.

> The linux kernel identifies the device as "SCSI device sdc
> 17755614 512-byte hdwr sectors (9091MB)" but the next line reads
> "sdc: unknown partition table"

(that's not very interesrting)

But what error messages if any are recorded while reading and writing?
What happens if you place the device on the internal bus?

Sounds like bad cable or bad connector or bad disk.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony F)
Subject: Is someone trying to hack my system?
Date: 12 Jun 2001 16:31:11 -0700

When I came to work I noticed a bunch of messages that I've never seen
before. at the login I saw

svc: unknown program 0 (me 100021)
these were followed by about 20 lines that looked similar
svc: unknown program 100004 (me 100021)

the numbers would be different on each line though.

the last line read
svc: unknown version (0)

Is someone trying to hack in?

------------------------------

From: "kyi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to access dos drives from Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:39:36 -0700

Ok first off. If your are going to download those file in windows
make sure you use a ftp client that can download in binary format,
like ws_ftp. As for the winmodem that depends on what chipset it has,
goto http://linmodems.org for more information on that. Now on to the
mounting of the dos drives. Make sure that you have a place to mount
them first, like /mnt/dos or /mnt/windows, then to mount the first
windows drive.
Type 'mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows' ( w/out quotes ), asuming
that the windows partition is on the first hard drive ( hda ) and on
the first partition  ( the 1 in /dev/hda1 ). If it's a w2k partition
using ntfs just replace 'vfat' with 'ntfs'. Now all you have to do is
'cd /mnt/whatever' and you are on the windows partition. As for a
screenshot utility, there is a utitliy in redhat that will do this
but I can't remember the name, I don't use redhat, but you can goto
http://freshmeat.net and do a search for one, there is also a command
line that will capture the screen and save it to a file, but alas I
don't remember that one either ( sorry ). I hope this all helps, if
not let me know.

- -Jayson
http://linux.microbsys.com

NG_lurker <remove AT from return address when replying by email>

------------------------------

From: virgil adumitroaie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: fsck: Root inode is not a directory
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:49:02 -0500

Hello,

Does anyone know how to bypass this problem? If one
runs fsck -y -f /dev/hda all the file structure is
destroyed. Is there a way to recover the data from
such a disk?

Thanks,

Virgil

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miasmal)
Subject: rmmod output to syslog
Date: 12 Jun 2001 19:56:02 -0400

Linux 7.0 Redhat Guiness 2.2.16-22

Cron job "rmmod -as" fills up /var/log/messages.  How can I stop it
from writing to the syslog?

Jun 10 04:30:00 <hostname snip> CROND[3796]: (root) CMD (   /sbin/rmmod -as)

--
--          .          John Kutsuzawa, CFII // '94 Columbia Univ. ME  //
   .________|________. Commercial Pilot, Certified Flight Instructor //