On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Luc Verhaegen <l...@skynet.be> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 02:31:41PM +0200, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Luc Verhaegen <l...@skynet.be> wrote:
>> > On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 04:55:15AM +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
>> >
>> > So now there is a LICENSE file stating that the code in
>> > https://github.com/allwinner-zh/media-codec is LGPL?
>> >
>> > So Allwinner believes that by sticking the LGPL on a _binary_ solves all
>> > the problems? Just like it seems to believe that removing all binaries
>> > from a kernel tree solves all problems with the GPL?
>> >
>> > Really?
>> >
>> > This is simply ridiculous.
>> >

>> This guy is so toxic. Apparently it's an attitude style to be
>> permanently negative.
>> You give him caviar and he complains that it's black.
>> Or a VIN ROMANEE CONTI 1955 and he complains that it's too old.
>>
>> I do not know whether there will be more commits to that repo.
>> Just in case there are, a typical person would refrain from making
>> such comments.
>>
>> Simos
>
> Simos,
>
> I am corrosive and bitter, but perhaps i am not the toxic one here.

Luc,

Hi. You are not a bad person. We first met at XDS2008, so I have
somewhat first-hand experience.
We even had lunch/dinner at the pub and you behaved as a normal human
being to the waiter;
I do not think there was trimmed pubic hair in the haggis we all ate.

You really try to make good things and help the projects that you are active in.
However, in this thing called "community building", it's not your cup of tea.

You try to insult new contributors into doing NewDevice pages on the Wiki
but you end up sending them away. The worst part is that others in the list
can see the mess and will not touch the wiki either. Also, edit-war
with new contributors?
The solution here is to get others to help out and you do *not* get involved.

You might want to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q52kFL8zVoM
which discusses the subtleties of community building.

> All we ever see you do is trash me. You have written no code, you have
> not contributed to the wiki, you only now spend some time on irc to try
> to clean up your image.

That's an attempt to divert the discussion to me in person. I am not the story.
Unlike what you claim above, I actually contributed. If you really want to go
through this avenue: if I prove you wrong, you back off entirely from all this.

> You started calling for banishing me, while
> trying to instigate a fork, almost as soon as you got here. And you try
> to post about every little positive thing that allwinner does (while
> allwinner ignores its hard legal responsibilities), to try to take
> credit for them and to try artificially gain any form of standing here.

Personally I cannot think of a way to gain something here.
Gain reputation among you all? I respect all of you, but no.

In your case, you have things to lose from this community. You have invested
in this project. You have invested so much that you would be even a
suitable recruit
for Allwinner. Even having access to internal documents and source
in order to produce a proper libvdpau.
But sadly, you come off as a loose cannon. It's scary.
It does not appear that you have a flexible strategy. In fact it's so
inflexible that your
only way to win is if Allwinner says: "fuck my life, get this ssh
account and take everything".

> Perhaps you and Allwinner do not realize this. But linux-sunxi does not
> need Allwinner, Allwinner needs linux-sunxi. What linux-sunxi requires
> from Allwinner is a legal matter, and a pretty open and shut case at
> that. Allwinner trying to make their mole a part of this community this
> crudely or artificially, while so badly messing up the basics, that is
> not only counterproductive, it is quite preposterous.

I would love to see all source free and open-source. And most importantly,
all the companies behind it, to actually believe in the benefits.
Due to v2 in GPL, your stick is not long enough.
They can adhere to the license but still be stuck.

In addition, an actual strategy to get them all into free and open-source
is if you make all sort of efforts/compromises to have one SoC
completely and fully free/open-source.
Then, promote that SoC as loud as possible,
so the others would have to follow on their own volition.
This is especially true for the GPU in ARM SoCs.

I noticed in your recent blog post that you are starting linux-exynos.org.

Simos