fre 2015-03-06 klockan 19:44 +0000 skrev Manuel Braga:

> The video engine is the least priority item in the wish list, but is
> dependent of all the others. I understand that, and also don't see a
> point of wasting time in a 100% open source driver and software for it,
> if the only way to use it requires hardware that is limited by binaries
> blobs (for example; dram initialization). This is not me going for a
> full 100% or nothing, just a question of priorities.

A10, A13, A20 have full open source system code for a long long time,
and these days even integrated in mainline u-boot & kernel, including
initialization from bare metal. Full DRAM setup etc.

And now DRAM setup code and more for the whole range of SoCs have
suddently been released as open source by Allwinner which removes a
large part of the burden of getting the other SoCs supported at system
level. The SoC user guides have also improved by far compared to the
early A10 user guides we got access to years ago, plus are now
officially published and not just randomly leaked.

If you look at the openness then VPU and GPU is the most sore parts in
the Allwinner SoCs at the moment. Not so much because they depend on
everything else but because everything about them is closed down tightly
by Allwinner. There is also some issues in display interfacing where
there is relations to third party interest organisations and content
protection.

Please ignore what is in the Allwinner SDK releases and focus on what is
available in open versions or documented. The silly fact that some later
SDK releases have closed down some things which was open before do not
make the already openly published versions closed, or that support for
those have been dropped by linux-sunxi community kernel.

Regards
Henrik