I have sometimes experienced this kind of thing and agree it is usually indicative of faulty hardware, however have also found it can be caused by graphics drivers, particularly if the box has just gone through a major distribution upgrade. These days it's the thing I (slightly) worry about causing some inconvenience on an upgrade. Happened on a couple of ubuntu boxes I took to 14.04 LTS recently.

Sadly, the fix isn't necessarily ensuring the latest drivers are installed, it can mean going back a version. It's a bit random, and somewhat frustrating . . .

Also sometimes, the fix for issues following a distro upgrade is running the apt-get update/upgrade (equivalent for Mageia) as this might pick up something missed first time round?

Good luck with it all :)
Roger