Using syslog is a pretty standard way to collect logs from all sorts of
programs and goes back decades. There has been an update to the syslog
format in RFC 5424 which fleshes it out a bunch.

Then there are programs like Logstash and Flume which can be used in a more
platform-agnostic manner to collect logs from different applications.

Really, when it comes down to it, the most standard way you can log
everything regardless of programming language is to use log files or some
sort of network appender using a standardized binary format.

Matt Sicker <>