Tony Bowden wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 01:26:24PM -0500, Mike Jarvis wrote:
> > Who's chart would you use?  I.E., who do you want to be sued
> by?  I don't
> > know about the UK, but Billboard (THE chart in the US) is very
> picky about
> > such things.
>
> They can't easily sue.
>
> The information is factual. Factual information cannot be
> copyrighted. Only the arrangement of it.

Nope.  What is a chart?  Billboard or R&R or whoever's view of what the most
popular songs in a given week were.  They all use different methodologies,
and are sort of an estimation as to what the popular songs are.

There is no "fact" of a song being no. 1.  It would be a stronger argument
with ratings, but Arbitron owns all of the research the ratings are based on
and are, if possible, more litigious than Billboard.

On a note remotely related to computers, Napster nemesis Metallica's bass
player quit.

"Due to private and personal reasons, and the physical damage that I have
done to myself over the years while playing the music that I love, I must
step away from the band," Newsted said in a statement.

--
mike