On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 08:40:56PM +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:
> >If you present the chart in a different format to how they did then
> >there's nothing they can do...
> Take a look at http://www.bath.ac.uk/~bssnrw/getchart.html for a
> differing viewpoint.

OK ... when I said "there's nothing they can do", I of course meant
there's nothing they can do if you're prepared to actually fight them
in court, not "they can't send you threatening legal letters that
actually carry no legal weight".

There's nothing at that page to suggest that CIN were doing anything
other than throwing their weight around just to scare someone off.
Which is what companies do all the time.

I paid thousands of pounds for legal advice on this very issue (albeit
about 5 years ago), and the opinion I got was "factual information
cannot be copyrighted - only the arrangement of it". The classic case is
someone who retypes a phone book. You can't reissue it in the same order
(i.e. alphabetic by surname) as the original, but you could quite happily
order it numberic by phone number and no-one could do anything...

Tony
 Tony Bowden | Belfast, NI | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.tmtm.com | www.blackstar.co.uk
                make me laugh make me cry enrage me don't try to disengage me