Robin Szemeti wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 01:10:00PM +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> > > Plain and simply I don't think java is the right technology for
> > > e-commerce, plain and simple.

<gartuitous snippage>

> no .. it _does_ have its strong points .. I wouldn't have even
> bought a  book if i thought it was really bad .. but it just seems to
> make some things so hard to do.  Mybe its just me being crap. I'd be
> intrested to set a good perl programmer and a Java guy head to head ..
> get em to build an app to the same spec and see how long they took, and
> then get them to extend it in some way and time that ..

I once read a report (18 months ago) where the same projects where given
to lots of programmers, the usualy results were show i.e algorythm
design was the most important factor, although on the whole scripting
langauges were faster to develope in, and had faster execuion speeds and
lower memory footprints.  I should try and find it again as I've lost
the URL.

Greg