On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 02:17:24AM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> Me too, ('74 vintage) but I got learnt grammar. I think mostly by my
> mother if truth be told. The rest I picked up from Latin :-/

AOL. A strongly grammatical language like Latin really makes you think about your
grammar in English. I did Latin to A-level, and remembering which form of qui to use
in a given situation really helps you work out that whole who / whom issue.

Similarly, I'm pretty good at using the subjunctive properly and stuff like that.
German helped a lot too...

> If you know the difference between it's and its, you're and your,
> and don't write 'alot', you're probably in the top 1%-ile :)

When I was at prep school, my English teacher had lots of little signs over the
classroom walls saying things like "It's not all right to say 'alright'", to drum
little things like that in.

Alex
--
"I ask for so little. Just let me rule you, and you
 can have everything that you want." - Jareth, Labyrinth