David Cantrell wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 08:24:13PM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> > > It is NOT POSSIBLE to completely divorce presentation/application.
> > > So you end up with all sorts of languages made up to be mixed in with
> > > the presentation - like PHP and the mini-language of TT.  Why are
> > > those OK (I'm thinking specifically of TT - we all know PHP sucks for
> > > other reasons) but plain ol' perl isn't?
> >
> > Ohmigod, I'm agreeing with Cantrell on something!!
>
> What am I doing wrong? ;-)
>
> Seriously, I agree 100% that you should strive to seperate application
> from your presentation as much as possible, but seeing that you can not
> do this entirely, you may as well embed perl in your HTML and save
> yourself the trouble of inventing a whole new wheel.

That sounds like a contradictory statement there - of course the line
will never be 100% clear & cut-out...  And as for inventing new wheels -
well we're all coders & scientists & engineers here...  That's what we
do!

> You can still stick your business logic elsewhere and have that called
> by the perl embedded in the templates.

I see where you're coming from, but think about how this will be abused
- coders will get lazy and eventually just embed all the business logic
in the templates.  Then your life will be a living hell.  As a worst
case scenario you'll end up with (eek!) an inverted Bugzilla!  ;-)

With the vast array of options we've got on Perl tools for templating &
embedding & serving (and other -ings), it seems to me the trend is to
create a whole bunch of new wheels.  Then everybody talks about them &
the better wheel(s) is pointed out, and then maybe then the wheels are
improved to become uber-wheels while in the background the cycle repeats
itself...

I'd argue that embedding code in your templates is on the way out, and
the sooner it goes the better.  I think it was a necessary step away
from embedding templates in your code (eg. cgi scripts), but now it's
time to recognize the aforementioned split & revise our models & tools
accordingly (and create new ones if necessary).

But then again, this has prolly all been said before.  Anyways, that's
my 2c.

--
 Steve Purkis      [EMAIL PROTECTED]     t: +44 (0) 207 614 8600
 Unix Developer      red | hot | chilli         f: +44 (0) 207 614 8601