On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 10:20:37AM +0100, Steve Purkis wrote:
> David Cantrell wrote:
> >
> > Seriously, I agree 100% that you should strive to seperate application
> > from your presentation as much as possible, but seeing that you can not
> > do this entirely, you may as well embed perl in your HTML and save
> > yourself the trouble of inventing a whole new wheel.
>
> That sounds like a contradictory statement there

I don't think so.  Whilst you should seperate application and presentation
as much as possible, it's a recognition that you'll never be able to
*entirely* seperate them, and so seeing that you're going to have to have
*some* code mixed in with your presentation, you may as well re-use an
existing language instead of inventing a new one.

>                                                   of course the line
> will never be 100% clear & cut-out...  And as for inventing new wheels -
> well we're all coders & scientists & engineers here...  That's what we
> do!

Well yeah, and it's fun too, but in this case the new wheel is not
necessary.  And if I'm building this for your company, I think you'd
rather I spent time writing a kick-ass application (which would of
course be maintainable, extensible, scalable and all sorts of other
laudable -ables) rather than spending the same amount of time writing
a kick-ass mini-language (or learning someone else's mini-language)
and a mediocre app.

> I see where you're coming from, but think about how this will be abused
> - coders will get lazy and eventually just embed all the business logic
> in the templates.

Yes, they will.  Unless you have proper procedures in place to prevent
it.  Luckily, perl makes it rather easy to encapsulate application logic
elsewhere.

> I'd argue that embedding code in your templates is on the way out, and
> the sooner it goes the better.

So how do you think it can be achieved?

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

      Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
      but that's no reason not to give it            -- Agatha Christie