Hi Alkis and Ben,

PNG uses a color palette.  So "8-bit" in PNG means, 256 colors - any
colors.  They're not pre-determined.  It can be 256 different shades of
light blue if you want.

So an 8-bit PNG can easily contain colors which can't be displayed on a
16-bit mode display.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jan Middelkoop
Recreatie en Zorg Groep B.V.