A person contacted me off-list (as he had some problems posting to the
list), and reported that he tried X_COLOR_DEPTH=16, and it made XVideo
not working for him with the following chipset:

 > Intel Corporation 82865G 8086:2572 (rev 02)
 > Kernel driver in use: i915
 > Kernel modules: i915

That very old graphics card is a known headache:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

On Ubuntu Lucid, I even had to download a patched kernel and add a PPA
to make a non-LTSP client boot with it.
I think most of its problems were solved in recent kernel + xorg
versions though, and even that person said that he'll try to disable
XVideo and start using X_COLOR_DEPTH=16 from now on, so I don't think
it's enough to revert to the old behavior.

If others see similar problems with 16 bpp, we can talk about it again.

Cheers all,
Alkis