If you follow the link and use HD plus the pause button in full screen
   you can see close ups of striking two strings.
   However, it is better to be shown how to do it by a real person :)
   You can see in the video that one string (the "near" string) goes under
   the other one, and both strings are plucked with a slight curved
   stroke. Also you can see that my fingers are well below the strings.
   Now I'm not saying that is the right way to do it, and, indeed, I use
   four or five hand positions, thumb over, thumb centre, etc, etc.
   Each has its own challenges,
   It is just one way to do it.
   And, really, I could not do it without the right spacing. It would be
   nearly impossible.
   So for me, what makes a good lute: setup. I can play an average  or
   even below average lute and get a pretty good sound with the right
   spacing.
   I this case, I use "thumb in: egg" The other variant is "thumb in:
   squid" where the fingers are more extended.
   That is, the thumb is inside the hand, mostly, and the hand is shaped
   as if it could hold an egg.
   In fact, I could lay one!
   Most importantly, the wrist is very loose. The wrist is a biggie as far
   as tone goes.
   The video was made with a follow focus tracking so you can see
   everything mostly in focus.
   [1]http://youtu.be/soTjO9WlsAs?hd=1&t=2m16s