Thanks David,

   That's very helpful and a systematic analysis.

   The approach I've used for most of my lutes is to use the string
   spacing of an old 9c lute (label Matteus Vogt) as a starting
   point.   It belonged to the Lute Society at one time.  I took a rubbing
   of the strings (as did a few other UK makers) and measuring it just
   now, it pretty much fits the criteria you specify regarding the spacing
   at bridge and nut.  In fact comparing it with the spacings I now have
   for many other old lutes, it's pretty much average.

   The point about hitting the two strings together is, of course,
   important.  I had lessons from Diana Poulton (thumb out, close to
   bridge) and Michael Schaeffer (thumb inside, close to rose) who were
   both very particular about that issue and the tone production that
   resulted.  Both said that the finger should be planted on the strings
   so you could feel them both, before plucking.  There were, of course,
   at that time many very eminient lutenists still using nail, and one
   told me that he was happy to hit one of the strings and the other would
   vibrate in sympathy!

   Your other point about the second course lying under the knuckle of the
   first lh finger is one I haven't come across before - I'll check my
   lutes and see how they measure up against that one.

   As far as the nut is concerned, I agree that unless you have a spacing
   that works for you, some experimentation is needed.  I wonder if you
   ever came across any of Jacob van der Geest's lutes?  He made lots of
   very narrow (0.5mm?), shallow grooves side by side right across the nut
   and the player could place the strings to suit him/herself.  I'm not
   sure how successful it was, but his instruments were certainly much
   revered at one time.

   Anyway - Plenty to think about there.

   Thanks again!

   Bill