The "planting" is an interesting topic which one could discuss from
   many angles, however, the essence here is that if you"plant" the
   finger, you stop it from vibrating. So for legato playing, one must
   "drive through" or use a combination of "set" and drive through. There
   are times when some of the fingers of both hands need to be
   pre-positioned. In the video you can see that I put some of the fingers
   down into the strings before I use them., trying to stop only one of
   the two strings. Other times I do not and drive through the strings.
   Important to mention that this is just what I have figured out for
   myself after forty+ years of noodling, it isn't the "right" way.
   There are so many ways to strike the string and that is why the lute is
   so intriguing and subtle in articulation.
   However, when this is not the case, as in playing a riff  or a simpler
   textures I recommend driving through the strings, which in turn
   requires enough space between the pairs, and a very well timed and
   placed stroke.In driving through the strings, ideally the string makes
   a new note BEFORE the old note has ended. Technically, this overlapping
   of notes is called "over legato".
   The reason that this is important is that the big advantage of double
   strings is that they can ring through better than single strings, and,
   interestingly, "thumb out" and "thumb over" ring through best, however,
   thumb in makes a rounder sound at the expense of legato.
   It is not always possible to play over legato, but it is an important
   sound for the lute.
   Sometimes, those fingers really net to be set in place.
   I think I have a sneaking suspicion that if I could raise my technique
   two levels higher, I could drive through every string on every note.
   I have seen classical guitarists come close to this, of course, it is
   harder on double strings. Alas, I may not get there! But never say
   never.
   dt