SO glad to hear that someone else has discovered this wonderful bizarre masterpiece by Marco... I have been studying and practicing it for about a year, almost memorized. It is the ultimate "Recercar/fantasia senza il canto" ever written; surpassing all other pieces of this tiny subgenre; generated of course by the unfortunate frequency of chantarelle disintegration- usually mid-performance, esp. in the pre-nylon string days.

I highly recommend it; especially as a study piece. It's probably a lousy recital/concert piece unless you are playing for a small group of lute nerds. And, most importantly; if you try to play it on a lute with unison basses it will sound like crap. Really! A high quality 6 (or 7) course, and the 8ves MUST include courses 4 and 5 as well as the other basses- and this piece really pops! Actual gut helps too, we want crisp enunciation of the notes as you fret up to 7 & 8 frets on the bass  courses.

The only other piece of music in any category that I have heard that starts on the lowest bass notes and stays there for so long is Gorecki's Symphony #3 "Sorrowful Songs" -utterly different mood, though. Marco's is very upbeat, almost humorous.

Giacomo Gorzanis is another lute composer/player who repeated phrases changing only courses and positions for tone color reasons.

Dan