Dear Tristan,
   I'm super excited about your discovery, and thank you many times for
   providing it,
   as well as your other notes which are much appreciated.  There must
   have been
   a lot more intercultural exchange back then than what we read in
   standard history books.
   I recently got a book from Daedalus titled "The Queen and the Sultan"
   about Queen Elizabeth I's communications
   and trading/ambassadorial exchanges with the Persian shah of that
   period, who had been humbled by
   a defeat at the hands of the sunni Turks.   Queen Elizabeth's
   youthful representative had to sail north (to avoid Mediterranean
   pirates/Turks) and approach Persia via northern
   Russia/Central Asia and the Ukraine, completing a perilous journey.  He
   didn't have much of value (mainly woolen cloth)
   with which to trade when he arrived.
   On the Galileo issue, I remember in Dava Sobel's book "Galileo's
   Daughter" she
   reports how a certain elderly (I believe German) Dominican cardinal
   in Rome claimed that Galileo's Medician satellites of Jupiter were mere
   aberrations
   in his telescope lenses, and refused to give credence.   Shortly
   thereafter, this skeptical
   clergyman died, and Galileo charitably reported in his public writings
   regarding this
   prelate:    "While on earth, he was unable
   to see the Medician satellites.  Perhaps while wending his way to
   heaven,
   he shall finally see them."  Sobel didn't mention Galileo offering a
   telescopic view
   to the Pope, but he did set up his telescope for high clergymen in
   Venice
   who were most impressed with what they saw.
   Best regards,
   Mark Seifert

   On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:55 PM, Tristan von Neumann
   <tristanvonneum...@gmx.de> wrote:
   > Those who would even want to listen are fools.
   Of course, those who wouldn't.