   From: Tristan von Neumann <tristanvonneum...@gmx.de>
   Date: 3/8/18 6:28 PM (GMT-07:00)
   To: lutelist Net <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: meantone tuning tech

   My frets move even if I don't want them to move... at least after some
   time. Maybe my knots are not good enough. But once you move them, they
   become loose.
   Actually I find some differences in tone very appealing.
   Even if some pieces sound dark or harsh, I try to think of it as color
   and not a flaw.
   I don't know how this was in different climate zones of Europe, but is
   there a region where Lutes are always in tune, considering the "Little
   Ice Age" of course, not today's reemerging from it.
   But with gut and mostly difficult weather conditions back then, I might
   want to think that we're already in Lute Heaven with being able to
   choose our room temperature and even avoid gut strings if you're ok
   with
   it...
   I sometimes wonder who Archicembali were kept in tune...
   Am 08.03.2018 um 18:39 schrieb Daniel Shoskes:
   > I don't have OUP access so can't read the entire review, but would be
   rather surprised to have a criticism boil down to Dolata's thesis was
   "the frets can move so they must have moved". I read the book a couple
   of years ago but glancing through it again there is a balanced and
   measured weighing of evidence including iconography, spacing of
   historical fixed fret instruments and multiple vihuela, viol and lute
   sources including Galilei. If someone can share the entire review with
   me I would be happy to re-evalutate and reconsider. For me personally,
   spending most of my plucking in the d minor tuning world, equal
   temperament is the norm.

   > Returning to the original question of the original poster, the book
   contains practical advice for tuning in meantone temperaments using the
   ear and/or a commercial electronic tuner and deals with pros and cons
   for solo and ensemble players.

   <lute.cor...@sunrise.ch> wrote:

   >> There's a different view here:
   >> A. Otterstedt, Fretting about tuning (review of D. Dolata, Meantone
   temperaments on lutes and viols, Bloomington und Indiana, 2016), in:
   Early Music, cax101, https://doi.org/10.1093/em/cax101

   <kidneykut...@gmail.com>:

   >>> For an excellent book by a musicologist and busy lute performer
   (solo and continuo), I highly recommend "Meantone Temperaments on Lutes
   and Viols" by David Dolata. Indiana University Press 2016. History
   covered in part 1, theory in part 2 and practicalities in part 3 (by
   ear and using a tuning device).

   <dail...@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> [...]
   said the same thing) but what is the valid point Ron was making ??

   1/4 comma meantone, not whether it was appropriate or not to use it on
   lutes, a can of worms I certainly did not wish to open (personally I
   use both equal and 1/5 comma mean-tone on my lutes).