Dear Roland,
probably you missed the mail of Stephan Olbertz, who posted to the lute list only:

"Think of the galant lute trio like a piano trio... You get the idea"

That really is the point:
In that times lute trio meant lute, violin (or flute) and basso, very often in a way, that the two added instruments play the melody and the bass of the lute part, but in later times - and that for sure is the case with Kropfgans - with different voices for violin and lute, and also the bass often plays a extended line (sometimes even another voice: Philipp Martin(o), Daube etc.)

I don't think we have testimonies of a trio of 3 lutes at that time, though such music probably existed (e.g. v. Radolt used 3 differently tuned lutes in one of his ensemble works)!

The works of Kropfgans are mentioned in Gerber 1st edition 1792, vol. 1, 759f:
Kropfgans (Johann) geb. 14.10.1708 - nach 1769:
"Von seinen Kompositionen sind nur 3 Lautensolos zu Nürnberg gestochen worden. In Mspt. hingegen hat man von ihm 36 Solos, 6 Duos für 2 Lauten, 32 Trios für Laute, Violin und Violonzell, 1 Quartett für Laute, Fr. Viol. und Violonz. Auch hat er einige Hillerische Operetten auf die Laute gesetzt."

i.e.
- 3 Solos had been published in Nürnberg by Haffner
In manuscript we have:
- 36 Solos
- 6 Duos
- 32 Trios for lute, violin and cello
- 1 Quartett for lute, flute, violine and cello
- Operetts by Hiller set to the lute

Best regards
Markus