Yes, I agree with all that. It is may not actually be much louder, but I do
think that because of all the harmonic effects Sean describes it 'cuts through'
continuous sounds (e.g. singer(s) or viols) better. And if you move your hand
nearer the bridge it is possible to give the string a much fiercer pluck, so
you can actually produce more sound.
I agree with Martin that once the number of strings rises above 8 it is easier
to play with thumb out, but as has been said by others in this stream, most
theorbo players today manage fine using thumb inside, so I'm not convinced that
this was the major factor driving this really quite striking change in how the
lute was plucked. I think it was the different sound that suited better the
changing role of the instrument.
My two ha'penny'orth
Robin

On 06/03/2019, 21:00, "Sean Smith" <lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu on behalf of