Maybe it's really just an error...

Real playability-friendly "errors" can be found in Newsidler's pieces,
where he uses a chromatic coloring of the cadence to avoid a fast
stretch to the 4th fret.

On 14.10.19 22:34, r.ba...@gmx.de wrote:

    Hi Rainer and all,

    For those who didn't check out these examples, they all involve a
    simple melody where Milan drops down to an open string resulting in a
    minor third jump rather than using a half or whole step which would
    better match as an imitation.

    For example, instead of the notes C B C D E, which would match,  one
    gets C A C D E.

    One would assume that Milan did this for ease of fingering, avoiding a
    slightly awkward shift.  (All three of these situations could have been
    done "correctly", but at the cost of either an awkward stretch of the
    first finger, or not being able to hold a voice or chord below the
    melody.) Apparently it was more important to Milan to keep the flow
    going or hold a chord rather than to use the matching interval.

    In Fantasia 18 it actually is really no problem just to slide down a
    half step with the first finger. But for whatever reason, Milan prefers
    his open string solution.

    I've just played through all three places a few times, as written, and
    substituting a different interval. I would tend to leave them as is.

    (Something a bit similar is where one finds a cadential ornament with
    frets 2 1 2 1 2 1 0 1 2 , instead of going down to the 4 on the next
    string in place of the zero. One finds this occasionally in German tab
    sources and I assume elsewhere. I've always found it rather bizarre.
    But if it goes by quickly, I guess it could work.)

    My 2 cents worth,

    Gruesse

    Robert

    ---
    Ich habe diese Nachricht mit der [1]GMX Mail App für Windows erstellt.