   From: lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu
   <lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu> on behalf of Frank A. Gerbode,
   M.D. <sa...@gerbode.net>
   Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2020 10:18 PM
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: A strange "error" in Maestro

   Thanks, Denys.  Very helpful and thoughtful comments. There are a
   handful of instances I have encountered in v.1 of Spinacino where
   corrections were written in, possibly by Petrucci himself.  In any
   case,
   these appear to be "correct" corrections.  To me, it is odd that there
   are relatively few errors in the solo works and what appear to be so
   many in the duet pieces. Your suggestion about intabulating the vocal
   models is a good one. The vocal models are probably from Odhecaton
   (also
   a Petrucci publication), so that should not be so hard.
   BTW, does anyone know whether the "Je ne fay" in Spinacino is the same
   as "Je ne fay plus" in Odhecaton?  And is the composer Antoine Busnois,
   Giles Mureau, or Anonymous? The altus part in Odhecaton is labeled "si
   placet", which I think means it is optional, rather than signifying a
   composer name.
   --Sarge
   On 6/20/2020 13:41, denyssteph...@sky.com wrote:
   > Hi Frank,
   > I haven't tried reconstructing the Spinacino duets, but I have
   reconstructed intabulations from the Thibault manuscript and studied
   the Dalza print in detail. The first thing to remember about both
   Spinacino and Dalza is the presence of a considerable number of
   printing errors. Both Martin Shepherd and I have written about that in
   the past, looking at the issue of which discordant sounds are
   intentional and which are typographic mistakes. There isn't an easy
   answer, but it's an issue that needs to be considered when creating an
   edition of music from those prints. If you look carefully  you can spot
   manuscript corrections to some of the errors in both the Spinacino and
   Dalza prints. Martin and I compared all three surviving copies of the
   Dalza print which showed that the corrections were made in Petrucci's
   workshop and not by a subsequent owner. For those interested, there are
   lists of the early corrections in Stanley Boorman's superb Catalogue
   Raisonne of Petrucci's work. !
    The curious thing in Dalza is that many glaringly obvious typographic
   errors were not corrected, which suggests that the same may be true in
   the Spinacino print. When working on an intabulation of a vocal
   composition it always makes sense to study the original if it's
   available, and ideally make your own lute intabulation from it. The
   points of coincidence and diversion from the original in an early
   intabulation can then be seen. We don't of course know if we are
   looking at the same reading of the original vocal piece that the early
   intabulator had (in this case Spinacino), but it does help a lot in
   getting a feel for how close the intabulation is to the original. When
   you do this It sometimes becomes easier to spot where mistakes were
   made in the intabulation. I appreciate it's a lot of work to go through
   this process, but it does give a much clearer idea of what the
   intabulator was doing. It's also helpful to find, if available,
   examples of what other modern musicians hav!
    e done with the same pieces. I have the feeling that all or mo!
    st of the Spinacino duets are included on Karl-Ernst Shroder &
   Crawford Young's wonderful album 'Amours amours amours.' I don't
   remember hearing any extreme dissonances on that album. I imagine that
   they would have made their own performing editions from the print in
   preparation for the recording.
   > Hope this helps.
   > Best wishes,
   > Denys

   Schräder,
   >     and he is no longer with us)?
   >     --Sarge
   >
   >     On 10/14/2019 23:48, Alain Veylit wrote:
   >
   >     I cannot read this thread without thinking about Spinacino's
   duets,
   >     particularly the setting of Ghiselin's Jolis amours: are the
   notes
   >     wrong or is it our ears? Yet, I had found a very convincing
   rendition
   >     of that duet a while ago on the Net, played as printed 500 years
   ago
   >     (already!) -- I believe  Karl-Ernst Schrà ¶der was on one of the
   2 lutes
   >     -- Helas, I can no longer find that particular recording on the
   >     Internet any longer. One trick they used to make the half-tone
   clashes
   >     sound better was to play the piece very fast. It works.
   >
   >     Spinacino's "J'ay pris amours" is still there on YouTube but it
   is less
   >     striking as an example of utter dissonance to modern ears - see
   >     [1][1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljcq1ETbXkI
   >

   > --
   > Frank A. Gerbode, M.D. ([2]sa...@gerbode.net)
   > 11132 Dell Ave
   > Forestville, CA 95436-9491
   > Home phone:  707-820-1759
   > Website:  [3]http://www.gerbode.net
   > "The map may not be the territory, but it's all we've got."
   >
   >     --
   >
   > References
   >
   >     1. [1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljcq1ETbXkI
   >     2. [2]mailto:sa...@gerbode.net
   >     3. [3]http://www.gerbode.net/

   Frank A. Gerbode, M.D. (sa...@gerbode.net)
   11132 Dell Ave
   Forestville, CA 95436-9491
   Home phone:  707-820-1759
   Website:  [5]http://www.gerbode.net
   "The map may not be the territory, but it's all we've got."