Mark;

   Interesting article, but I would take issue with many of his points, as
   did many of the 58 people that responded to the blog. He got a headache
   and bellyache from listening to a guitar in a concert hall? I think
   that borders on hysterics. To say that Segovia would not approve belies
   the fact that Segovia constantly longed for a louder guitar, hence the
   development of the Ramirez 1A. So loud, I got complaints from my
   neighbors when I had one, but to difficult to play for someone without
   Segovia's monstrous hands. Best to have an older Hauser? Yes, but they
   are in short supply. Stenzel laments that demand for guitars like his
   are not like the demand for double tops, but seriously, most of the top
   guitarists in the world today play double top guitars from Gernot
   Wagner, Matthias Dahmann, Antonius Muller, Garrett Lee and Greg
   Smallman, which really isn't a double top, but has similar performance.
   These makers command prices up $40,000 with a 10 year waiting list due
   to high demand, because players want those guitars, even if Stenzel
   believes they should not want them! Stenzel claims that double tops
   don't have sustain? Mine does, and most of the ones I have heard do. I
   will admit that the tone is less ‘warm' than my 54 year old Manuel
   Velazquez, a Hauser copy, but my new guitar, made by an up and coming
   master craftsman, Jeremy Cooper, using spruce, not cedar, had only a
   1.5 year wait and a price just a fraction of a Smallman, and it is a
   very lively, responsive instrument that I am thrilled with.

   A. John Mardinly, Ph.D., P.E.
   Classical Guitarist/Lutenist

   On Mar 24, 2020, at 6:04 PM, Mark Probert <[1]probe...@gmail.com>