On Monday, 19 September 2016 8:06:11 PM AEST Piers Rowan via luv-main wrote:
> I set up a VM a couple of weeks back as a mail server. I can send email
> via web mail and I can get email in but I can't get it to relay.

https://etbe.coker.com.au/2015/10/17/mail-server-training/

Last year I ran a mail server training session for LUV, the above URL has the
notes with a step by step description of this.  The SASL section in the above
has all the notes on how to do it and shows how to test it.

It looks like you have missed out a SASL authentication mechanism.  I
recommend using Dovecot as it's MUCH easier than getting Postfix to use MySQL
directly.  But following the above blog post is the easiest thing to do.  I
read my own blog posts when I have to do these things.  ;)