On 6/17/2010 9:00 PM, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
So, this patch does not help in this respect, as the launcher is needed
for hiding the initial console that would otherwise open.
I think that the solution could be hiding the console from inside
LyX itself. Once there was code for doing that, but I don't remember
anymore why it was nuked.

It does help. There is no initial console when LyX is build as a GUI app.

The code to hide the console from LyX itself also had issues and caused console windows to pop up during initialization.

Now, instead, you have to edit the
preferences and add "cmd /c" here and there, hoping that you get right
the way you have to quote the parameters (and in some cases it is very
difficult to get it right, believe me).

I investigated the code a little more and it appears that QProcess is used for the actual image/LaTeX conversions. ForkedCalls/runCommand are only used for internal Python scripts for display images / lyx2lyx etc. (please correct me if I'm wrong). So there will be absolutely no difference for the conveters when this patch is applied.

If you want support for batch files / ShellExecute in Systemcall / QProcess, the solution would be to send all the commands through cmd.exe. I found this piece of code that was used when USE_QPROCESS is not defined:

case os::CMD_EXE:
        command = "start /min " + command;
        break;

This should be added to the USE_QPROCESS code as well I think. It's however a totally separate issue unrelated to this patch.

Joost