On 6/19/2010 5:49 AM, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
Maybe because they serve different purposes? I don't think that
changing something without having a clear understanding of why it
is as it is and only because it seems cool using QProcess, is the
way to go. Remember the mantra: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm definitely not going to change anything there!
I was just suggesting there may be some room for improvement. I'm sure Peter knows a lot more about it.

I hope you are aware that there is code assuming that LyX is a console
application on Windows. See, for example, bug #5525.

I have been testing LyX for a while as a GUI application and did not notice any issues. The shutdown sequence appears to be handled properly by Qt when LyX is a real GUI app.

Note that this patch still allows you to compile LyX as a console app.
As you cas see in the MSDN docs, CREATE_NO_WINDOW is ignored for console apps. Therefore I would suggest to keep SetConsoleCtrlHandler for now.

The patch adds to option for LyX to be compiled as a GUI app without any hacks to hide the console. I think it would be good to test this during the 2.0 alpha stages rather than making a change just before the final 2.0 release. I will soon create precompiled binaries so more people can test.

Joost