On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 09:33:22AM -0400, Joost Verburg wrote:

> On 6/19/2010 5:49 AM, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> >Maybe because they serve different purposes? I don't think that
> >changing something without having a clear understanding of why it
> >is as it is and only because it seems cool using QProcess, is the
> >way to go. Remember the mantra: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>
> I'm definitely not going to change anything there!

I was not implying that. I meant it as a warning to not try to change
something that works without the need for fixing a real problem.

> >I hope you are aware that there is code assuming that LyX is a console
> >application on Windows. See, for example, bug #5525.
>
> I have been testing LyX for a while as a GUI application and did not
> notice any issues. The shutdown sequence appears to be handled
> properly by Qt when LyX is a real GUI app.

Good.

> Note that this patch still allows you to compile LyX as a console app.
> As you cas see in the MSDN docs, CREATE_NO_WINDOW is ignored for
> console apps. Therefore I would suggest to keep
> SetConsoleCtrlHandler for now.

Very good.

> The patch adds to option for LyX to be compiled as a GUI app without
> any hacks to hide the console. I think it would be good to test this
> during the 2.0 alpha stages rather than making a change just before
> the final 2.0 release. I will soon create precompiled binaries so
> more people can test.

As I said, there are no objections from me for the reason that I already
explained and also because the damage about batch files is already done :(

--
Enrico