Rainer M Krug wrote:
> I have the feeling we are getting somewhere with the creation of the ppa for
> LyX.

side note.

firstly, do you know how the official binaries are prepared for ubuntu.
are they blindly taken from debian or someone compiles the stuff again?

secondly, is it possible to be ubuntu maintainer for a single package like
lyx?

the image ubuntu makes for lyx is bad. they are pushing not well tested
versions of qt/lyx into repo, but they do not update bugfixing releases
so user gets unstable lyx at the end. it happened with their last LTS 10.04
(not well tested qt's && lyx is crashing when outliner is used),
its happenning again with 11.04 where we just got report that lyx 2.0rc3 is
configured as prerelease, thus crashing at each instance of assertion which
shouldn't be the case.

having somebody within the ubuntu team who cares about lyx packages would be
much more valuable than creating ppas (hint hint!:)

pavel