On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:
> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> I have the feeling we are getting somewhere with the creation of the ppa for
>> LyX.
>
> side note.
>
> firstly, do you know how the official binaries are prepared for ubuntu.
> are they blindly taken from debian or someone compiles the stuff again?

$ dpkg -l | grep lyx-common
ii  lyx-common  1.6.5-1ubuntu1 Architecture-independent files for LyX

Looks like they compile their own. (Unless Debian distributes packages
with versions like "1.6.5-1ubuntu1" ;).

> secondly, is it possible to be ubuntu maintainer for a single package like
> lyx?

Ubuntu doesn't really have package maintainers. There are really into
doing things as a community ;). There are "Per-package Uploaders"
however, described here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers.

> the image ubuntu makes for lyx is bad. they are pushing not well tested
> versions of qt/lyx into repo, but they do not update bugfixing releases
> so user gets unstable lyx at the end. it happened with their last LTS 10.04
> (not well tested qt's && lyx is crashing when outliner is used),
> its happenning again with 11.04 where we just got report that lyx 2.0rc3 is
> configured as prerelease, thus crashing at each instance of assertion which
> shouldn't be the case.
>
> having somebody within the ubuntu team who cares about lyx packages would be
> much more valuable than creating ppas (hint hint!:)

I could try suggesting on ubuntu-devel-discuss that lyx would be a
good candidate for more frequent releases. Something like:

"Ubuntu doesn't officially support packages in universe, but upstream
developers often support Ubuntu, even adding workarounds to Ubuntu
specific bugs. It is then frustrating for them to get the same bug
reports over and over since the version in Ubuntu is frozen for six
months. I suggest that Ubuntu offer to sync packages for certain
upstream projects upon request from upsteam. LyX would be a good
candidate:
1) Development is done on trunk. They seem to do a good job of
preventing bugs being backported into their stable branch, and have
automated tests.
2) apt-rdepends reports that LyX is not a dependency of anything else.
Updates to LyX shouldn't break anything else, thus no integration
testing required, only testing and review of LyX itself (which upsteam
is the most qualified to do).
3) Each major version of LyX has a new file format, the minor updates
add support for reading documents generated by later versions of LyX."

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted