On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:
> John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
>> We could detect the Ubuntu build environment and break. I don't recall
>
> hehehe. it reminds me time when climm developer (that time micq)
> was not able to push critical fixes into the debian release of his package.
> in certain moment his frustration exceeded the critical threshold
> and baked small hidden easter egg (can't remember exactly the whole story
> but somehow even hidden from the deb maintainer's setup, he was so careful:).
> the compilation went fine, but the moment micq distributed binary
> was run on 3rd parties it halted with some message like "do not use stupid
> debian packaging and download my own instead" -  or something of that sort.

[citation]
http://lwn.net/Articles/22991/

> there was furious reaction from some of debian developers when the
> egg publicly cracked and they wanted to expell micq from the distro
> (which actually seems better than distributing damaged soft
> by ignoring critical issues). but at the end things calmed down,
> the issues were fixed and developer achieved what he wanted...
>
> soo... who has the patch ... :D

One might hope that merely threatening to include such an egg would be
enough to persuade Ubuntu to drop the package :P.

Emitting a build failure when attempting to install a prerelease to
/bin would presumably cause less drama, and might be appropriate if we
wanted no distribution to ever package a prerelease. I guess it is
reasonable for Debian to package a prerelease in unstable on the
assumption the LyX release occurs before the Debian release (maybe
that is what happened, and Ubuntu just blindly synced from Debian.)
However even then it might be better for Debian to package the old LyX
anyway. A fairly stable LyX like 1.6.9 should already have most of the
bugs beaten out and not really have much need for updates, thus being
more suitable for a stable distribution than 2.0.0 anyway.

> seriously, the only real solution is to find someone on ubuntu who
> wants to care about the package. ppa's are second rate issue
> when the basic and most encountered package is constantly wrong.

I agree than in the specific case of Ubuntu, the only real solution is
to have a maintainer who cares about LyX.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted