John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
> We could detect the Ubuntu build environment and break. I don't recall

hehehe. it reminds me time when climm developer (that time micq)
was not able to push critical fixes into the debian release of his package.
in certain moment his frustration exceeded the critical threshold
and baked small hidden easter egg (can't remember exactly the whole story
but somehow even hidden from the deb maintainer's setup, he was so careful:).
the compilation went fine, but the moment micq distributed binary
was run on 3rd parties it halted with some message like "do not use stupid
debian packaging and download my own instead" -  or something of that sort.

there was furious reaction from some of debian developers when the
egg publicly cracked and they wanted to expell micq from the distro
(which actually seems better than distributing damaged soft
by ignoring critical issues). but at the end things calmed down,
the issues were fixed and developer achieved what he wanted...

soo... who has the patch ... :D

seriously, the only real solution is to find someone on ubuntu who
wants to care about the package. ppa's are second rate issue
when the basic and most encountered package is constantly wrong.

pavel